Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2017-2018 NBA Season Thread [Archived] Basketball • Page 5

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by y2jayjk, Jul 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Jason Tate likes this.
  2. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

Boston still has LAs pick though

3. Larry David

Cavs won this trade imo

4. Yeah, the Cavs really did win this trade.

incognitojones likes this.
  5. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

I still take the "winner is the team that gets the best player" position, but this one seems close.

6. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

That pick is a valuable unknown, may be a better player than Kyrie in the long run. The trade may seem fair now but that pick used correctly makes it questionable. Cavs could draft another generational talent like Lebron, or draft another Anthony Bennett. Still a great haul for a guy who wanted to leave.

djwildefire and Jason Tate like this.
  7. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Sad to see Kyrie go. Love what he did while he was here. Hate that Gilbert let things get to a point (in various aspects) where this was the only option for a new GM no less. I also hate that Indy backed out late in the game on the George trade. Wish we could have gotten Tatum instead of the first rounder, but I like getting Crowder. He will definitely help this team. Considering the leverage and that Ainge wouldn't relent on the Brooklyn pick for George, I thought Altman did really well in this trade. I don't love taking on the Thomas dilemmas of injury and contract, but I get he had to be included.

8. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Ugh, I don't know if I'm happy. Keeping the picks has been the most appealing to me, especially after Durant signed - building for 3 years from now while being interesting in the interim was a best of both worlds scenario. I feel like we're still not good enough to win this year, and just upped the chance that the roster is at or near its peak now as opposed to when the window really opens back up.

That said, maxing IT in a year would have been a mistake, so even if the calculus for this season isn't as different as one would hope when trading an asset like BKN 18, extending Kyrie is soo much more palatable. It also makes the Fultz trade significantly better I think - given the above, I don't think they make this move without another potential high lottery pick in the next two years.

In short, I'd feel a lot better if the pick was 1 protected, or if we had traded the worse of the Brooklyn and Lakers picks. If the LA pick is 2-5 it was a good move. If that doesn't convey and Brooklyn pick is top 5, it was a potentially huge mistake.

9. Boston got fleeced - would have better using these assets on Butler and/or George

10. Oh my god my dear friend Tony got retweeted by Lebron

11. It's hell of a lot better than Kyrie going to the Suns. This makes things more interesting and adds more drama. I like drama.

12. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Threat of George bailing for LA is/was too real. Butler, probably, especially since he went for less.

Having a hard time thinking that staying put and offering Isaiah less than the max wasn't the best move available.

13. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I really don't know who wins. Steven's coaching with a huge amount of talent or LeBron. Pretty hard to bet against LeBron at this point. Plus I think the Cavs pretty much stay the same offensively but improve defensively with Crowder.

14. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Or... Preorder your Melo Cavs jersey now.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  15. dallasc

Trusted

I feel like people forget how young Kyrie is since he's been in the limelight for a while now,
    dude isn't even in his prime yet. He'll still be amazing once the Warriors and Bron start to decline

16. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Kyrie-Hayward-Tatum will be dominant in the East after LeBron leaves next season. And as a Lakers fan, I hate to say that about Boston.

17. Amen.

18. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

I think Cleveland got the better end of the deal too. Someone make a poll

Jason Tate likes this.
  19. Whatjuliansaid

What if cavs somehow get Wade and melo though

20. From a basketball prespective Cleveland won this trade, but I'm also being biased because I like Crowder.

21. Larry David

They definitely did.

22. travisred

Trusted Supporter

Cavs still feel one more move away from actually competing with the Warriors. I think if they can flip that Nets pick into something then they'll definitely be set, but an aging Isiah (with a potential bad hip who could end up not passing the physical) is an improvement what so ever. Also, I don't think the Nets are gonna be top 5 pick bad this year. I love Jae and he really helps defensively but makes things weird with him and KLove. If Kyrie can get into better shape to run Stevens systems then he will be deadly.

23. Whatjuliansaid

I've been trying to think of someone who's young and a team is willing to give up for that pick but I legitimately can't. I suppose they could wait till the deadline and see if the wolves aren't working out or something but idk. Anthony Davis makes some sense but i don't think the pels would do it still. They'll let him walk before they trade him.

24. dallasc

Trusted

Brooklyn pick for Boogie's expiring, let's get my mans a ring.

25. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

They could try to swing for Porzingis

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.