Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2016: The Year Movies Sang

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Nathan Hall, writing on Medium, about the relationship between movies and music in 2016:

Sing Street is another film about a band, focused more on the actual lifestyle and artistic side than the killing skinheads aspect. It’s one of the most beautiful distillations of what draws us to music, what it means to us to hear things expressed musically in a way we’ve never felt before, and the development of one’s own expression through the same medium. Ferdia Welsh-Peelo plays Conor, a young teen whose parents are fighting and whose brother is a burnout and who just had to enroll in a new school where the headmaster would rather you didn’t wear shoes at all if you don’t have the dress-code approved black ones. Amidst this angst, there’s the music.

2. And the article doesn't even make mention of La La Land! Interesting.

3. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Thanks for posting this! I've been wanting to check out several of these... Green Room seems fascinating.

4. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Green Room was amazing. La La Land looks amazing. Been on the fence about The Get Down since I don't have as much free time for shows anymore and I've read mixed reviews, but maybe I'll give it a watch. Not surprised at all that the author didn't touch on Vinyl or Roadies though. Good God, Lemon.

beachdude42 likes this.
  5. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Jason Tate and Chase Tremaine like this.
  6. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Completely forgot about it, haha.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  7. Yeah I'm really bummed I missed both Green Room and Sing Street when they were in theaters close to me.

beachdude42 likes this.
  8. Oh, you wrote this? Solid job! Florence Foster Jenkins is really entertaining, if you get a chance to see it soon.

Nathan likes this.
  9. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter