Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2016 NFL Draft Thread [ARCHIVED] Football • Page 4

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Night Channels, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

don't worry, Tannenbaum will do something dumb like taking Treadwell

2. JRShoenberger

Trusted

I read somewhere that some teams even have Braxton Miller and Michael Thomas above Treadwell on their boards. The WR pick order will be very interesting.

3. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

And then the draft comes and all that goes out the window

4. kidwithhelmet

WELCOME THRILLHO Prestigious

I find that very hard to believe.

JRShoenberger likes this.
  5. patrickhowell

... Supporter

Fuller and Doctson have a diffeent skill set, beat defenses with speed. That might fit a team's needs better.

Michael Thomas is more physical like Treadwell, but had a faster 40 time, and has bigger hands. I'd be surprised to see him picked over Treadwell though.

Braxton could be the best athlete in the whole draft, but he's not ready to play receiver in the NFL. Whoever takes him is making a big risk, especially with his injury history.

6. Whatjuliansaid

7. Night Channels

Trusted

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  8. Night Channels

Trusted

I would take Braxton Miller over Josh Doctson ten times out of ten.

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  9. Night Channels

Trusted

I'd be upset if Miami drafted him. He's a beast.

10. Whatjuliansaid

His upside is so much higher than the majority of other guys. I feel like he would be wr2 if he played it another year.

11. kidwithhelmet

Can't tell if you guys are that high on Braxton or that low on Doctson.

12. Night Channels

Trusted

It's a little bit of both for me.

I'm not a fan of Josh Doctson as an upper tier wideout prospect. To me, he's more of a late second, early third developmental guy. Press coverage will be a nightmare for him.

13. kidwithhelmet

I feel like the same can be said for Miller.

Ultimately this WR class is so weak that a guy like Miller looks even sexier based off the level of untapped potential that could vault him past everyone.

14. Night Channels

Trusted

Miller can potentially help you in the return game and he has the ability to play off the ball in the slot. That gets defenders off of him and gives him room to create space to make things happen after the catch.

Doctson is an outside receiver.

15. kidwithhelmet

Wasn't necessarily referring to the press coverage aspect, rather that both are unrefined. Where you see this as Doctson's potential downfall I look at Miller's reliance on supreme athletic ability to win matchups as opposed to running solid routes.

16. Night Channels

Trusted

Versatility plays a key in my previous post though. Doctson can only do so much to help you. Miller is a gadget player right now that can become something more.

That's not the only downfall I see with Doctson. He isn't a good route runner either. He's very, very good at getting vertical and winning when the ball is in the air. The Air Raid scheme is not going happen in the NFL, so he just has a lot of work to do.

I'd love for my team to draft him outside of the first, but he is way more boom-or-bust than most people seem to think.

kidwithhelmet likes this.
  17. ClarettsGreyGoose

I wish I had changed my user name... Prestigious

The Bills, they apparently met with Paxton Lynch last night and Greg Roman is at his pro day today. Can't decide how to feel. I know he's raw...and they have needs elsewhere but if he's there at #19, I could see them saying "Well here's a cost controlled QB for 5 years," letting Lynch learn for the year and letting Tyrod cash in elsewhere after 2016.

18. tkamB

God of Wine Prestigious

Doctson got open against press coverage 83.3% of the time last year, that's the second best figure in this draft class behind Sterling Shepard.

19. kidwithhelmet

Well, 3rd (Higgins), but great find.

20. tkamB

God of Wine Prestigious

He's third in the class when it comes to man coverage, scroll right to see SRVC against press; he's at 83.3%, Higgins at 82.2%.

21. Night Channels Apr 6, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 6, 2016)
    Night Channels

Trusted

And how often did he run an inside route?

He has very little ability to do anything outside of outside releasing and going vertical.

Throw all the percentages you want my way. Watch his actual game. He rarely separates and he rarely does anything inside the hash marks. He runs fades, skinny posts, and the occasional hunt route. He was so dominant at winning jump balls that the flaws in his game were overshadowed.

22. tkamB

God of Wine Prestigious

I've watched him, he consistently gets separation, and those percentages are based on film study. He ran slants 18.7% of the time and got open on those slants 84.6% of the time, average for the draft class is 18.8% with success rate of 77.9%., he ran digs 2.9% of the time, got open 83.3% of the time, average is 3.4% with success rate of 71.9% of the time. The only routes he ran a significantly less percentage of the time than his counterparts were the curl (13.9% for Doctson average of 16.7% for other prospects), corner (1% for Doctson, 4.2% average), and flat (2.4% for Doctson, 5.5% average). But, importantly, he had success on every route, and I'll just quote the article here, but it's worth a read in full.
    In a recurring theme, Josh Doctson once again demands our praise. He was the only prospect to post an above average SRVC score on every single route on the tree. A smooth operator with easy separation ability, Doctson should have no problem developing into a pristine route runner at the next level. His Reception Perception results are eerily similar to Allen Robinson’s rookie season numbers, which led to his 2015 breakout.

23. patrickhowell

... Supporter

Braxton's only played receiver since last summer. His routes will get better, but the GM who drafts him will be gambling on how much better. He's obviously a threat on special teams, and we'll probably see him running reverses and motioning into the backfield for carries or even just as a decoy.

24. Night Channels Apr 6, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 6, 2016)
    Night Channels

Trusted

Against press?

I mentioned that earlier when I said he ran some hunt routes (just a sit down slant), but the only times I've seen TCU do that is against Cover 2, 3, or Quarters.

25. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.