Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2016 NBA Draft Thread [ARCHIVED] Basketball

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Whatjuliansaid, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Whatjuliansaid May 12, 2016
    (Last edited: May 13, 2016)
    Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

The lottery is Tuesday, this will be a place we can talk about things while the playoffs are still happening. Maybe we could do another mock draft? We'll see.

Edit: Fixed

2. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I watch a lot of college basketball, and have always loved the draft. I am down to discuss all things draft with some other people.

3. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

melo needs to come back

hope jake and carter test well and end up getting drafted

4. Michael Schmidt

I was watching some of the scrimmages yesterday and Carter looked really good to me. Melo is just a basketball player. He is not someone who will blow you away in tests. I think he should stay and prove everyone wrong. In a former era I would say Melo is a tweener. In today's style of NBA, I think he can stick at the one or two, depending on the system and roster he's on. I have always liked Jake as a college player. I am still deciding what I think of him in the NBA, but I am pretty sure the stretch big is his calling.

5. cwhit

Melo has just lost all of his confidence. His shot is still way off, hopefully it's just a confidence issue and not an injury one.

Carter always reminds me of Milsap. Shorter, bulky 4 with a huge wingspan and the ability to stretch the floor and make plays. Could be a steal if he develops.

Layman is such an ideal 3 and D player. one of the best defenders in the B1G last year, big time athlete and real good shooter. He'll be a good role player on any team, at least.

Stone worries me in the pros, especially now that we found out that he has tiny hands

6. Whatjuliansaid

I'm interested in marques chriss

7. Michael Schmidt

Very good points. And you probably know the details better being "local". I can buy the Milsap comp, I think. I just know that I don't worry about height as much with him. So many cases with post guys the height question gets brought up in the draft process. I just like his game. I could see some Morris twins to his game eventually. I think he is a grinder that will carve a niche in the league.

When I think playing someone at the 3, I ask myself a few things. Would I feel comfortable with this player on an island on the perimeter guarding George, Durant, Bron, Kawhi, Wiggins eventually, Butler, etc. Then I contrast that with these sleeker, more athletic fours that are in the league. I think I like the idea of using Jake in that capacity. I don't really worry about him not working, so I don't think rebounding or the transition would be that difficult. I think there would actually be quite a few instances where I could see him exploiting slower bodies and causing defenses to make adjustments.

8. cwhit

I was lucky enough to watch almost every game, and almost every home game live in the stadium last year, haha. He has some defense issues but hopefully some good coaching will change that for him.

I could see Jake doing either. He's just so athletic, and he's not as long as I expected, a legit 6'9 is still great size for how quick he is. Strength may be an issue but he's also bulked up a ton since he came in as a freshman

9. shawnesty23

Regular

the lottery is Tuesday not today

10. Michael Schmidt

That's awesome you got to go to a lot of those games. They've had a lot of talent coming through of late.

I think what we are getting at with Jake is that one of his assets is that he is multiple, meaning you can use him in a lot of ways since he is so athletic and has good size. Being multiple is a very good thing right now. He could play in a lot of different lineups. He'd be great at the 3 in the Heat/Raptor series. Playing other teams I like the idea of him playing a stretch game and being a gritty athletic rebounder.

11. Michael Schmidt

What about him are you interested in? You probably got to see him play a lot I would imagine. I really like him as a prospect and hope he goes to a good situation. I like that Washington program a lot. I think Romar is one of the best coaches in America at making players better and putting them in positions to succeed. Coaching the way he does is not the most glamorous decision, but it's fucking respectable. What he did with Isiah, Roy, and Hawes speaks for itself. Chriss will be a good NBA player. It's just a question of when and with whom.

Edit: I feel the same way about Murray. I like the two Washington prospects a lot.

12. cwhit

It's real interesting. I was there 2011-2015, and it was kind of a bummer. One atrocious year (before I really got into it) with no talent in Turgeon's first year, a good NIT run that seemed better because our schedule was real bad early on, an awful, letdown of a season that made a bunch of troublemakers transfer (which was the best thing for the program, those guys early on were so bad), and a surprise year that had us much better than expected and was the transition to the present.

I luckily had a friend give me their tickets last year, and it was such a pleasure to be able to see the team last year. I've only seen one home loss in the last two years, and our only other one I missed for the Emperor X show I put on campus. Always a blast to see those games. But we had such a disappointing end, we're so talented, Melo's inconsistency really killed us. Will always be blessed to have such a talented team last year at least.

Gonna be an interesting year this one, though I'll be more happy if Melo comes back. while we willhave a down year next year, 2017 looks like we'll have another huge recruiting class. turgeon's not a great in-game coach but his recruiting has been fantastic and the culture around the team is great after getting rid of faust and seth and all of them

13. Michael Schmidt

Your point about Mark is pretty spot-on. I have always felt he was more salesman than coach, which is not meant to be a knock. He is more Calipari in terms of selling his program/university than he is Brad Stevens or Shaka Smart, who were more of the in-game strategy types that sort of loathe the recruiting process.

14. I kinda like Sabonis for the Hornets but I don't think he'll make it to #22.

15. Whatjuliansaid

I wanna like him more but I dont. Arvydis forever

16. xbrokendownx May 13, 2016
    (Last edited: May 13, 2016)
    xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

please come back Josh Hart :(

though I think he ends up staying in. Hopefully a team at the end of the 1st like San Antonio or Golden State pick him up. That kid would be perfect for them. Such a fundamental basketball player

17. Whatjuliansaid

I remember when the spurs picked deshaun thomas and he balled out in summer league

18. Michael Schmidt

@cwhit looks like Trimble is heading back. You got your wish.

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  19. cwhit

haven't seen that yet. still says he has some visits with people
    he's just been atrocious

20. Michael Schmidt

I was going off one of Chad Ford's tweets. Perhaps I interpreted it wrong?

21. Whatjuliansaid

That'll be telling cause he said something like he would be cool going early 2nd

22. cwhit

The "all go back to school team"? That's just players that based on their performances should

23. Wouldn't mind Hornets taking a PG but I have no clue where these guys are going so it's hard to project who would be available.

24. Whatjuliansaid

It's weak there, a lot of guys undersized too. Wade Baldwin is interesting though. I don't hate kris Dunn at all but he's nowhere near a slam dunk. Ulis is a really good prospect but he's hardly 5'9 and Jackson is 6ft.

25. I'd be fine with Demetrius Jackson or the guy from Washington

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.