Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2016 MLB Season Thread Baseball • Page 2

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Atlanta is apparently still rebuilding. The lineup from yesterday, I didn't know 80% of the names.

2. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Braves will forever be rebuilding

AelNire likes this.
  3. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Say what you will about Bobby Cox being an asshole but since he left we haven't had one good season so far.

4. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

That '95 Braves team was unreal to watch. I thought our Indians team was good that year, but that Braves team was insanely deep.

stnewton and AelNire like this.
  5. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Pitching.

We will never have a staff like that ever again.

6. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I was only 11 but I can still remember that World Series. David Justice is my favorite baseball player of all time. @Michael Schmidt

Chris Yates likes this.
  7. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

What? Being an asshole?

8. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Booby Cox was da man. Not the best manager but he definitely won his fair share of games.

stnewton likes this.
  9. Michael Schmidt

I was 1st or second grade. Cleveland is still obsessed with those mid to late '90s teams, and I am just like guys, that '95 Braves team was much better than us lol.

10. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I'm a Yankee fan and loved having David Justice around. Nick Swisher is with the Braves now, right? He's a blast to watch.

11. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

eva.........

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.............

12. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

In 5th grade I bought and wore a yankee hater hat bc i hate the yankees

DeviantRogue and Chris Yates like this.
  13. Meerkat

Both of my parents were raised as Yankee fans. I can tell you right now I'm not a jerk about it though. I've enjoyed watching the tide shift the last few seasons in terms of who the front runner teams are. Houston's run has been fun and Toronto's 2015 season was so entertaining.

14. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I said that because anytime someone who isn't a fan of the Braves, prefaces with Bobby Cox was such an asshole and I hate the Braves bc of it.

The Indians traded us Swisher and Bourn with cash considerations for our third baseman, Chris Johnson, who fucking sucks so I'm happy about it. I figure he's going to play RF for us since Freeman usually plays 1st.

15. Meerkat

Swisher is a freaking puppy. Very positive, energetic person and player. He always seems to be really excited about the fact that he gets to play baseball professionally, which is really endearing.

16. Michael Schmidt

The tribe released Johnson. I was ok with the trade because it allowed us to get rid of some bad contracts and Dolan runs a tight budget. Our front office does owner-imposed cap gymnastics every year in a sport where there is no cap. It's amazing. The Indians operate like an NBA team pressed up against the luxury tax.

17. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I have only heard positive things about him. I'm concerned about the team this year bc we traded some of our best players for an assload of pitchers which I know we need but damn. I think we had like 15-20 free agents too. Francouer is back with us and I like him.

18. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Braves are going to reap the rewards of all that young pitching in a few years.

I cannot wait to see Dansby Swanson after a year in the minors.

stnewton and AelNire like this.
  19. Meerkat

He basically got Yogi Berra to adopt him as a surrogate grandson. He's great to the fans. He was always very active when the Yankees did Hope Week. I remember one interview of him where a young kid asked if he liked his job and he responded with "Are you kidding me?! I get paid to have fun and play baseball everyday!"

AelNire likes this.
  20. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

See: KC Royals

21. Michael Schmidt

From a general standpoint, I completely agree, but I am talking about rather nominal dollars in the MLB. The Indians could not stretch $5M to sign Austin Jackson for one year because they hit their threshold with the Uribe signing lol. They wanted Jackson and he is a great value at that price, but now he will be playing in our division for CWS.

22. Snewt

Does whatever a spider can. Prestigious

I don't know, that Cleveland lineup was insane. Didn't they have one of the best offensive teams in history at that point?

23. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

If we are being honest, managers have little effect on a season anyways, save for maybe critical postseason moments.

24. Snewt

Does whatever a spider can. Prestigious

On the topic of Nick Swisher, I think that was the first time I've ever seen a player initiate "The Chop". That dude is always fired up to play baseball and I love it.
    [​IMG]

25. Michael Schmidt Mar 7, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 7, 2016)
    Michael Schmidt

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but that is very possible. The '97 team was the year they should have won. Atlanta had a young Javy Lopez, McGriff, Justice, Grissom, Klesko, and young Chipper. Their 2B and SS escape me. They were loaded in their own right. Our ace, Nagy was more like a third rotation guy and may have been the fifth guy at best if he was on the Braves.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.