Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2016 EOTY Entertainment Lists • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Dec 6, 2016.

1. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

2. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Surprised to see no mentions of The Club so far, easily one of my favorites of the year

3. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

No room for 3 Larrain films on these lists!

4. Joel Dec 16, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 16, 2016)
    Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Woah, had no idea he also did Jackie and Neruda. Will definitely watch both now though I doubt either will top that one for me.

Had a solo film fest. In the last 24 hours I've watched Things To Come, American Honey, The Handmaiden, Moonlight and wrapping up Certain Women

5. Morrissey

Trusted

Toni Erdmann and Paterson will have to be on another level to top Manchester-by-the-Sea.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and dadbolt like this.
  6. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Those are the big three I'm waiting for before I make a list

7. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

You guys better watch Aquarius too

8. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Looking forward to it whenever it's available

9. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

You really need to start watching The Americans. Best show on television right now I think.

10. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Better Call Saul? Fargo? Mr. Robot? Better than all those?

11. airik625

It's on par with Fargo. Better than Better Call saul and Mr Robot.

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  12. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

13. Anthony_

Those are basically my three favorite shows on television right now (plus Game of Thrones, even though I don't put it on the same level quality-wise as those three, I just really enjoy it because I love the books and the world and stuff). So that's a pretty bold statement. I have heard nothing but incredible things about The Americans and yet have just never gotten around to it. I really need to, though, based on the near-constant praise it gets. FX just is killing it these days with comedies and dramas (It's Always Sunny, Archer, The Americans, Fargo, Man Seeking Woman, Atlanta, Legion looks incredible, etc.).

As I said above, though, there are simply just too many shows. Everyone always rips on John Landgraf for his "peak TV" comment but I don't disagree with it whatsoever. It's absurd how much great TV there is out there now.

14. airik625

Fargo is my second favorite show with The Americans coming in first. If you don't start watching it over the holidays, we're gonna have a problem! Ha

15. Anthony_

I will do my best!

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

17. Morrissey

Trusted

I agree a little bit about Everybody Wants Some!!! being overrated. It is a good film, but the praise for the film seems like it would be less if it had come out after Fast Food Nation instead of Before Midnight and Boyhood. Those two movies elevated Linklater up to a place he has not been in a while, as he was doing a lot of anonymous work like Bad News Bears in between the incredible Before films.

I fear this might be what breaks my bond with Star Slight. Again, a good film, but probably an overpraised one.

brandon_260 likes this.
  18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Hey Tetra The Cure are better than The Smiths! And The Mars Volta suck!

19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Tbh I was surprised at how well it was received. I loved it, but it was totally what I was expecting. There were far, far better films this year

20. Morrissey

Trusted

I love the Cure. I have actually been listening to them quite a bit lately. They come on the Morrissey Pandora station, which is funny considering how much Robert Smith hates Morrissey.

21. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I liked Everybody Wants Some a bunch and will place it in my list, but I do not think it deserves to be within a top ten or anything. It was highly enjoyable and and well done, not a lot more but definitely no less.

22. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Everybody Wants Some deserves all the praise.

23. Morrissey

Trusted

Of all the Film Comment picks, The Handmaiden was really hard to get through. Park is a hack who is given the benefit of the doubt for being from a country going through a cinematic golden age.

24. Davjs

Trusted

Midnight Special?

25. Anthony_

Cameron likes this.