Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2016 EOTY Entertainment Lists • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Dec 6, 2016.

1. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Dazed babyyyy

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  2. Morrissey

Trusted

While we do have three years left, I doubt anything will top The Tree of Life.

3. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

The best TV of 2016, part 2

god damnit AVclub of all publications you were the one i'd hope would choose steven universe
    at least crazy ex gf is getting the love it deserves
    good place being at 10 is well deserve too

4. Anthony_ Dec 14, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 19, 2016)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Linklater's a much better filmmaker (and a way, way better screenwriter) than Boyhood showcases. I think it's sloppy, it feels its length far too much, and it was overhyped to the point of absurdity. Honestly I still can't understand the praise it gets. I think it was an ambitious undertaking, sure, but just because something took 12 years to make doesn't mean it merits such slavish attention, at least where I'm standing. The trilogy will go down as Linklater's crowning cinematic achievement, when all is said and done (unless he somehow tops that, which is unlikely but not impossible. Like I said, he's a very, very good filmmaker, Boyhood notwithstanding in my opinion).

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I didn't love Boyhood but that was just because I didn't relate to his own personal adolescence

6. Anthony_ Dec 14, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 14, 2016)
    Anthony_

The A.V. Club's TV top ten is hard to disagree with. Other than Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and The Americans (which I don't watch), those are all incredible shows. I would personally put Better Call Saul at number one, personally, but The People vs. O.J. Simpson was better than it had any right to be and I can't knock that pick. Loved that they put Halt and Catch Fire so high, that show has been so underrated during the past two seasons and has just gotten better and better with every episode. Sad to see it go but glad it's getting a final season to end the series properly. Also the the absence of Mr. Robot is...baffling to say the least.

And yes, The Good Place really is that good to be in the top ten without having even finished an entire season yet.

7. cwhit

but you should watch crazy ex girlfriend, that is either my #2 or #1 of the year

8. Anthony_

I get it constantly from so many people to watch CEG. THERE'S TOO MANY SHOWS.

9. cwhit

my personal list (very comedy slanted, i don't watch many dramas and i need to remedy that). nothing more than personal preference, nothing objective about this

1. Crazy Ex Girlfriend
    2. Steven Universe
    3. Lady Dynamite
    4. The Good Place
    5. Better Call Saul
    6. Stranger Things
    7. Veep
    8. Bojack Horseman
    9. Jane The Virgin
    10. Atlanta
    11. Orange is The New Black
    12. Silicon Valley
    13. Game Of Thrones
    14. You’re The Worst
    15. The Girlfriend Experience

Honorable mention since only the last episode was in 2016: Gravity Falls

10. Morrissey

Trusted

Right now my top ten is:

1. Cemetery of Splendour
    2. Certain Women
    3. Right Now, Wrong Then
    4. Knight of Cups
    5. Moonlight
    6. Mountains May Depart
    7. Elle
    8. Horace and Pete
    9. Sully
    10. Hail, Caesar!

Still so much left, though.

11. Morrissey

Trusted

Where is Voyage of Time from these lists?

12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Sully?

domotime2 likes this.
  13. Morrissey

Trusted

It is about the plane crash in the Hudson. An Eastwood film.

14. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

No one likes it, not even the Malick diehards.

15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

No I'm aware I'm just surprised it was one of your best of the year

16. I admire the ambition and purposefulness of Boyhood, but I just didn't find it too compelling.

I watched Things To Come and The Fits yesterday. Both are good.

17. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

Boyhood was enjoyable.

Not too much into discounting something just because other people overhyped it. Seems like a tough way to live.

Watched Hell or High Water, Don't Breathe and Everybody Wants Some today. December is a good time to catch up.

18. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Is that a show that starts great or does it take a while?

19. cwhit

it takes several episodes, i was very torn on it at first because the whole concept of a show that has several songs per episode totally didn't appeal to me. i had no more reservations around episode 5 or so, and by episode 9 it was hit after hit after hit.

if you're into musicals, however, you'll love it from the start. i love the early episodes now too, haha. just took me time to get into the concept and love the characters

20. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Ok, just checking. I want to try it but it seems like the kind of show that might take a bit to get going. I like musicals a lot though, I liked Glee a lot longer than most did, ha.

21. Morrissey

Trusted

I have seen less than thirty films this year. It will fall eventually, but it is a film unfairly dismissed by younger viewers because Clint Eastwood is decidedly adversarial to their political views.

22. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Has anyone watched The Fits? It's the only one from Film Comment's list that I never really had much interested in prior.

Also, here is their undistributed list. Lots of great films that I think people should look out for next year (Nocturama, The Dreamed Path, Yourself and Yours, Austerlitz, The Woman Who Left are all varying degrees of great). Surprised The Ornithologist didn't end up there. Best Undistributed Films of 2016 - Film Comment

23. Cemetery of Splendour was a refreshingly quiet film, considering the majority of movies I see, but I don't think I'll ever go back to it. I did enjoy how it employed color, though.

24. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Have you seen any of his other films? They're all pretty incredible. Tropical Malady is my favorite.

25. Morrissey

Trusted

I am going to try to watch The Fits this week. I am at hour three of the seventeen hour O.J. Simpson documentary.