Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2016 EOTY Entertainment Lists • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

Thank you. Why did O.J. Simpson suddenly become such a hot topic in 2016?

2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Manchester lived up to hype

3. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

There's also two movies about Christine Chubbock this year.

4. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Honestly it's one of the greatest and most realistic cinematic representations of trying to cope with tragedy that I've ever seen.

CarpetElf likes this.
  5. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

God damn I need to see this.

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  6. Anthony_

7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

AV Club
    The best TV of 2016, part 1

Didn't skim this yet but it's hard to believe there's 28 other shows better than Horace and Pete, especially bc I know for sure that Westworld is going to be above it

8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

9. Morrissey

Trusted

Hopefully Film Comment's list is this week. The vast majority of Slant's list is unavailable for most people still.

10. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Film Comment
    Best Films of 2016 - Film Comment

1. Toni Erdmann
    2. Moonlight
    3. Elle
    4. Cemetery of Splendour
    5. Certain Women
    6. Paterson
    7. Manchester By The Sea
    8. Aquarius
    9. Things To Come
    10. No Home Movie
    11. The Lobster
    12. Right Now, Wrong Then
    13. Love and Friendship
    14. Cameraperson
    15. Kaili Blues
    16. The Handmaiden
    17. Everybody Wants Some!!
    18. The Fits
    19. Neruda
    20. The Other Side

Only not seen Neruda (opens this Friday), Cameraperson (seeing it tonight), Kaili Blues (screens here in a couple weeks), No Home Movie, and The Fits. Everything else is fantastic, except Love and Friendship which I'm not as high on as everyone else, even though I still like it. I literally just watched The Other Side like half an hour ago. Very cool to see it, and Minervini in general, getting some recognition. This is probably my favorite list as of now, until Reverse Shot and Cinema Scope.

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Very interested in Cameraperson

12. Joe Dec 13, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 13, 2016)
    I've only seen Paterson, The Lobster, The Handmaiden and Everybody Wants Some!! from that list. I never hear about some of these "eoty" films until the lists come out, and then I hope they're available to watch somewhere.

edit: Oops, I saw Certain Women also.

CarpetElf likes this.
  13. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Pretty much exactly what happens to me too. I've heard of 8/20 and only seen 2/20.

14. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

A few of them are 2015 premieres that played the US this year.

I really hope this list gets people to watch Right Now, Wrong Then and Aquarius.

15. Morrissey

Trusted

Having to wait for Toni Erdmann is the worst part of 2016.

16. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I'm sure that's not true.

17. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

classic tetra

18. Morrissey

Trusted

Knowing that Manchester-by-the-Sea will be here on Friday, it is really only Toni Erdmann and Paterson that are still top priorities.

19. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I can't wait to see Toni Erdmann and Paterson again. They're not opening here until late January and early February.

20. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I'm waiting on my manager to make sure I don't need to go in today (just transferred up so my schedule is on the fly) and if I don't I'm seeing Manchester today.

21. I was lukewarm on Only Lovers Left Alive, but Paterson was great.

22. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I sincerely think Paterson is his best film.

23. Anthony_ Dec 14, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 19, 2016)
    Anthony_

Glad to see all the love Everybody Wants Some!! is getting on so many EOTY lists, even though it released so many months ago. Loved that movie. And Linklater really bounced back in a big way with this one after Boyhood, which was, just, for me painful to sit through. One of the most overrated films in quite a while, I thought.

24. Morrissey

Trusted

Boyhood will end up being a strong contender for one of the best films of the decade. It is one of the very best at capturing the ways in which your childhood erodes into adulthood. It seemed like Before Sunset would always be Linklater's best film, but by virtue of being part of a trilogy it is necessary to take it as part of a whole.

y2jayjk likes this.
  25. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Boyhood's fantastic. It's definitely one of my favourite films of the decade. Before Midnight is my favourite of the decade and Sunset is my favourite Linklater.

y2jayjk likes this.