Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2016 EOTY Entertainment Lists

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Dec 6, 2016.

1. OhTheWater Dec 6, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 9, 2016)
    OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

3. Morrissey

Trusted

Another year, another bunch of films that are mostly impossible to see for most people even in December.

If I made my list today, there is a three-way tie between Mountains May Depart, Right Now Wrong Then, and Cemetery of Splendour. Their sleepiness and glacial pace are similar to what their respective directors have done in the past, but they stand in stark contrast to so much of the open anger and polemical nature of so much cinema this year. It is unfair to tie films to current events outside of their control, but their worldliness was a welcome change to the crisis in America and in Western Europe.

4. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Curious as to why Cemetery of Splendor is on the list. It came out a year and a half ago.

5. Morrissey

Trusted

It came out in the United States in 2016. Most people use the release date of the country they live in since no one outside of film festivals could have seen the film last year.

6. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Oh yeah, I know that. I didn't even know it had a release date in this country haha.

7. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

every tv show list is lacking steven universe, which is unsurprising, and most are lacking crazy ex girlfriend
    luckily the slant list had CEG very high

8. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

That one in the OP didn't mention Stranger Things?

9. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Few things this year hit me as much as Horace and Pete, and I didn't even finish it yet. Atlanta was really great as well, ran through You're the Worst and enjoyed it, though this most recent season wasn't as strong as S2.

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

11. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

Id like to see a definitive top 10 for which movies everyone should have seen this year

12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Wait for Slant, Reverse Shot and Film Comment

13. Morrissey

Trusted

Slant should be on Friday. Film Comment's top 20 should be sooner than later. Reverse Shot sometimes waits until January.

14. Morrissey

Trusted

15. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Of the shows that were new in 2016, Horace and Pete, Atlanta, Baskets, High Maintenance and Insecure are probably my top 5.

16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

17. Morrissey

Trusted

The films I have seen on there are deserving, and seeing Toni Erdmann at the top makes the wait even harder.

18. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Fair enough, I was just thinking it's also often heartbreaking,but I guess there's no dramedy category

20. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I've been meaning to try The American's out for years, no idea why I haven't when it's almost always near the top of lists like these but I also never really hear people talk about it.

21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

22. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I don't blame her at all re: her tweet. I've already been looking at my above list of top 10 TV shows of the year and thinking about tweaking things.

EDIT: "THERE'S TOO MANY SHOWS!"

Zilla, Signifire, Joe and 1 other person like this.
  23. Morrissey

Trusted

Is the O.J. Simpson piece that so many top tens are promoting different from the one with Cuba Gooding Jr.?

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  24. iCarly Rae Jepsen