Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2016-2017 NHL Discussion Thread [Archived] Hockey • Page 7

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by thechrisformat, Jun 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. dandandan

Trusted Prestigious

Do you think CBJ takes Pierre-Luc Dubois over Puljujarvi if they stick with the third then?

2. dandandan

Trusted Prestigious

3. dandandan

Trusted Prestigious

@White, how do you feel about the Leafs taking Alex DeBrincat with their 30th or 31st pick, assuming he's available around then? He used to play the right alongside McDavid and Dylan Strome. Even after those two left he was a point-per-game player.

4. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

No, I don't. If anything Jarmo has the inside track on Laine and Jesse, given there is no language barrier and more local connections in terms of scouting. One of the things Jarmo mentioned is that a lot of GM's can't speak the language, so they can't fully read either player for themselves. It's not like Auston Matthews where most GM's can read his makeup and gauge how he answers questions. Jesse more so than Laine doesn't speak very good English. He is from a more rural part of the country where English just isn't very common. Jarmo can talk directly to him and understand who he really is. Other GM's are going to be going through interpreters or hearing broken at best English responses.

Some of the old scouts that left Columbus after Jarmo's first year for other opportunities ended up back home in Finland. They left CBJ on good terms, so there are even more connections to those two Finnish players. Assuming the Jets take Laine, it would be really shocking if Columbus doesn't take Jesse. Columbus is actually a really good fit because there is room to play right away, the city is less in your face than other hockey markets, and Jarmo would be a good resource to help get him acclimated to a new country, having done it himself.

Edit: I know the big media outlets are pumping this narrative about them shopping the pick. They are listening and have received a couple large offers, but Jarmo said he needs to be completely blown away to move out.

dandandan likes this.
  5. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

Not good, but only because of our organizational makeup. We have a bunch of tiny skilled dudes and we need better D and we need a goalie. If he somehow falls to like ~50 though, then sure, 'cause I do like him as a player.

6. dandandan

Trusted Prestigious

Agreed that we need a goalie and stronger D, but do you think the Leafs take two D with back to back picks (30/31)? I also generally don't think drafting goalies early is a good idea. It hardly ever pans out:

7. White

I'd bet we're gonna take Carter Hart+some other D with that pick. I know goalies are a lot harder to project (Hart being like the only goalie projected to go in the top ~45 is likely a product of that), but we're overflowing with forwards and can afford to take a couple small risks.

8. White

9. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

Richter915 likes this.
  10. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Leafs, Sabres, and Hurricanes are gonna rule the east for many years.

11. White

Dubas, Shanny and Lou are all gonna die suddenly in some kind of refrigerator explosion and then we'll re-hire Ron Wilson and Burkie and it'll all go to shit again.

bd007h likes this.
  12. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

13. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

Oilers too

14. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

Already found an error on the Devils one

Blandisi won't need to be protected I don't think

15. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

It's crazy to see most teams around the 0-2 mark and than there is the Blackhawks with 7 already.

16. White

Too lazy to link the tweet, but Girgensons is reportedly considering a KHL offer.

17. ClarettsGreyGoose

I wish I had changed my user name... Prestigious

Daily reminder that Jimmy Vesey is good friends with Jack Eichel and they're playing together in the Foxboro summer league. Man, would it be awesome to have TWO Boston kids in Sabres jerseys helping to destroy that team for the next decade.

bd007h likes this.
  18. dandandan

Trusted Prestigious

19. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

lmao

20. It'll be a pretty cheap price. I'm fine with it. There's not really any great options out there anyways.

21. I'd also be willing to bet he is thrown into the expansion draft next season.

22. ClarettsGreyGoose

I wish I had changed my user name... Prestigious

I feel like there will be better choices out there for the Vegas team unless they're going to grab a "backup" goalie with a high salary exclusively to meet the cap floor.

TB will probably expose Bishop over Vasilevskiy if they don't dump him, same with Pittsburgh and MAF/ Murray. Dallas could rid themselves of Lehtonen or Niemi, Anaheim will have a Gibson/ Andersen decision. Even if the Andersen to Toronto rumors came true I'd still take Bernier over Ward.

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  23. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

24. dandandan

Trusted Prestigious

Salivating at a capable goaltender joining Toronto -- but I felt that way when an unproven Bernier joined too, so what do I know?

ClarettsGreyGoose likes this.
  25. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

2 years, $6.6 million total for Cam Ward

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.