Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2016-2017 NCAA Football Season Thread [ARCHIVED] Football

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

Official NCAA Football Discussion Thread

2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Go Vols!

3. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

Go 'Eers, Bobcats and Roadrunners!

4. DeviantRogue

Big get for Illinois.

5. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

I think Lovie can do great things at the college level. Now he can coach without all the media hoop-la.

6. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Very interesting hire for them. The Big 10 is in an interesting place right now. I don't believe Iowa will parlay on their successes from last year and UW is going through a culture change. Nebraska is also flat lining at the moment. The top of the conference is established, but there is definitely room for Illinois to maneuver upwards more than just the bottom.

7. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

No. Badgers.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  8. Snewt

Does whatever a spider can. Prestigious

GOOOOOOOOO DAWGS! SIC 'EM!

9. RuckerPark

Someone else is in my place. Supporter

Go Jayhawks!

10. DeviantRogue

11. RuckerPark

because we disappoint every year in the tournament? or because I went there?

DeviantRogue likes this.
  12. Snewt

Does whatever a spider can. Prestigious

Because this is the college football thread and well.... Kansas had a hell of a season last year.

DeviantRogue and Michael Schmidt like this.
  13. RuckerPark

hahaha, whoops thought it was the basketball forum. I'll show myself out. :crylaugh:

14. Garrett

Kansas and Kentucky have a lot in common.

stnewton and Chris Yates like this.
  15. DeviantRogue

Kentucky has been slowly improving in football over the past few years.

16. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Still not bowl eligible. Stoops is a good recruiter but he just can't compete with the big schools.

17. Michael Schmidt

I also think the shine of a Stoops at UK has worn out. They have dropped back to normal recruiting levels. They have a young QB that teammates watched get sucker punched in front of their eyes. There are some issues with that program.

Chris Yates likes this.
  18. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

If I'm Stoops, I'd be looking to get out sooner rather than later. Take a job at a school not in the SEC. He's pretty much taken that program as high as he can, really.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  19. Michael Schmidt

Completely agree. UK is stuck in the middle imo. They are surrounded by good states to recruit in, but they don't support football the way they fund basketball. Rightfully so of course. The problem is that players that want an SEC experience have plenty of better choices. Players that want to stay in the midwest have much better options. Players that want an academics-first experience and happen to be good athletes are never even going to look at a school like UK. They are just stuck. In order to improve their results, they are forced to accept players that barely meet the Clearinghouse standards. I think Stoops is a good coach and doesn't have anything left to prove at UK.

20. Garrett

Still can't believe Tennessee let Randall Cobb go to Kentucky. Potentially the best player they've had in thirty years. Classic Dooley era mistake.

21. Michael Schmidt

I know I never understood that because no offense to UT, but it wasn't like there was an academic issue where Cobb had to settle. He legit chose a bad program. I think Tee Martin was already at USC as well.

22. Garrett

It's just one in a list of things Dooley dramatically screwed up. IIRC, Tajh Boyd committed to Tennessee before ending up at Clemson during that era, too.

23. Michael Schmidt

Perhaps it was all a blessing because despite some of the negatives with Butch, he is a very good football coach. His track record speaks for itself.

24. Michael Schmidt

For anyone that is interested in the academics and financial return for football players, here is a link to a spreadsheet I came across in another forum. It's dealing with each school's ROI as a football player. There are very good schools around the country that operate very differently for athletes and more specifically, football. The info is a tad dated now being from 2014, but I figured I would share for anyone who is interested.
    2014 30Y Football ROI

25. phaynes1

Regular

Not very optimistic for wisconsins chances this year

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.