Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2016-2017 NBA Season Thread [ARCHIVED] Basketball • Page 404

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jun 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Haha. It is true. But there's always some exceptions, and I think when looking at every single game/season as a whole ... an individually great QB matters quite a bit. Not saying they matter as much as a great player in the NBA, they only get the ball ~ 1/2 the time for example ... but I do think individual greatness matter.

And do the Patriots win their last two with Dilfer behind center?

2. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Yes they do

I'll explain in a sec, it's a lot of typing hahaha

3. dallasc

Trusted

I just can't see this series not going 7 games, Lebron took 2 games from GS without Kyrie and Love.
    Obviously that's without KD but still.
    A healthy Cavs team with Ky and Bron playing the best basketball of their careers is going to have a real chance.
    I also feel like people aren't talking enough about Kerr most likely not making it back for the finals. That will surely have an impact late in games.

If Cleveland pulls this one out I really think that solidifies Lebron as the best ever.

GrantCloud and truelovewaits like this.
  4. I don't wanna know! Hhaahaha. I don't wanna think about the Patriots winning anything. :teethsmile:B-):-)

But I'll use this argument in my Elway is the best ever fuck Tom Brady arguments in the future because if the Patriots could win with Dilfer, I'm 1000% removing his GOAT claim.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  5. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Most times a great/elite QB is required to win the Super Bowl. I was giving you a hard time haha. No way those two could've won with most teams, other than the ones they did win with.

6. Larry David

They couldn't win with Dilfer :(

7. My argument against that is it was GS's first year there. They had all this pressure and didn't know what to do and went dear in headlights ... but by the end of the third game, you could see them figure it out and I knew it was over.

Maybe Mike Brown is a secret double agent. I hope a late bad call from him seals a game. Cause he definitely could do that and fuck up some time management things.

I don't know if it'll be close enough for a coach to matter.

I know I sound histrionic, but this Warriors team healthy I think could beat any team ever. They're that good on both ends of the floor. I'd love to be wrong, but they didn't get the hype as last year for a variety of reasons ... but I think they're way better. They're the best basketball team I've ever seen and it doesn't feel close.

8. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

It's a weird argument because like, everything goes hand-in-hand with Brady being there. Belichick was able to get a steal of a QB and surround him with ridiculous talent in his first few years, then keep him at an EXTREME budget because his family is already so rich and pull in greater talent with the savings (along with ring-hoppers pulling a KD), and now because of the luxury of having Tom Brady as his QB he's been able to build rosters around him that can win without him.

So it's like, they could've won the last 2 without Brady necessarily BEING at the helm, but if they never had Brady, they couldn't do it.

I'm probably not being articulate.

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. I'm bummed we may only have one more year of James at this level. Hope Kyrie and Love keep getting better and that can be sustained for a few more years at least. Feel like James getting 4 or 5 rings would be a nice way to go out.

Robk and truelovewaits like this.
  10. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Lebron seems like he can do what he's doing for ten more years

GrantCloud and dallasc like this.
  11. dallasc

Trusted

While I agree that they're probably in the pantheon of great teams, this Cleveland team is also an all time stacked roster, they're just playing in an era where the nuclear mega Warriors exist.
    I look to the regular season series which they split, both games without JR. One was decided on a Kyrie game winner and one was a GS blowout, I feel like that might be how this series goes. Close games with one or two outlier blowouts if GS gets super hot. That being said I think Cleveland obviously has the talent to compete and can win games if JR/D Will get their shot going. Lebron's going to have to have another all time series but that's not too hard to imagine.

And yeah I could see Mike brown not having the mettle in a close game 6 or 7 and making a bone headed call. Hopefully we get there.

12. Larry David

Any advantage for the Cavs that Lebron was coached by Brown?

13. Got back from a long walk and listened to the Bill/Klosterman podcast.

They basically talk about all of this on the episode. Hahah. Funny moment.

Whatjuliansaid and truelovewaits like this.
  14. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

Literally finishing that bahaha

15. Kerrbs

Let's go Cavs! Prestigious

I feel like the series goes 6. Warriors lose game 1 by 5 and struggle to find there groove with the long break, Draymond being the only one that is hitting. Warriors pull game 2 big by 20+ with Curry and Durant going off. Cavs win both at home, Love going off game 3 and Kyrie in game 4. Warriors regroup and win in OT with West playing a big role in game 5. Cavs pull the thorn out in game 6 with a game winner with a 3 from Korver/Smith down by 2 at the buzzer.

16. Larry David

Why would Korver or Smith be taking the game winning shot?

17. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

That's so specific, it might as well be fan fiction

I'd say it goes 9 games, everyone gets along so well they decide to play extra games and have a great time. Adam Silver and Charles Barkley have a dance contest after game 8 and it cures clinical depression somehow.

slimfenix182, SPC95, Jose and 5 others like this.
  18. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Really starting to believe that Cleveland losing game 3 to Boston will help them here. They had a big lead, LBJ was off, they were at home and lost on a last second shot. You can't let that shit happen in this series. You can't let one get away. I think they'll definitely remember and use that and that's a mentality the Warriors don't have because they didn't experience it in these playoffs.

Also hoping that the Warriors have forgotten what playing a good, healthy team with 3 legit superstars is like and that fucks them up.

19. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I really hate sports commentary because its all wild speculation when it comes down to it. You can think that the December 15th game against Denver where you they missed a layup will be important these playoffs, they'll be thinking about that every layup and make more or less layups because of it. In reality Durant probably had a phone call with his mom back in July of 2015 that he'll be thinking about way more than anything else, and the Cavs will be thinking about some team meeting or something we'll never even hear about it, where they did mindful meditation and really bonded.

Aregala likes this.
  20. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

This is why I'm praying the Celtics keep Fultz rather than trade for Butler and George. Yeah I want us to contend now. But if Brown and Fultz can be major players in a couple years as LeBron ages, that has to be the best shot at banner #17

21. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

I think the Cavs had just been so variable all year because they had big injuries to Smith, Shump, and Love, while also trying to bring in Korver and Deron effectively. Hell, even have to think that with little bench suport/no Smith when they beat the Warriors on Christmas and Love tweaking his back early on with Korver new and still no Shump when they got killed in January by them too. Despite being kind of questionable, I think you have to believe this team really started to complete through the Pacers series with a smarter way of rotating their fully healthy team at this big time.

I think the series will be close again, but I don't see any true advantage on either side just yet. Either way, both sides are driven and I think you'll see every player amplified by it being round 3, new to the finals, just seeking to win at all costs, etc.

Also, ABC will heavily promote Spider-Man, but Kyrie will still show he has better footwork and hands.

Aregala likes this.
  22. Cavs in 4

Lebron will never slow down

23. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

Also feels important to consider that Durant, Curry and Klay all have a history of getting scared while Lebron and Kyrie will never spend another moment of their lives being scared

24. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Really wonder what the Cavs would have looked / played like with Bogut.

25. dallasc

Trusted

Plus the Warriors lead the league by a mile in career 3-1 leads blown.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.