Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2016-2017 NBA Season Thread [ARCHIVED] Basketball • Page 403

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jun 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

They could've/should've last year. He should've stayed and worked for the championship this year and for years to come. He's the player version of a bandwagon fan.

2. Larry David

That's a big piece to it

3. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I don't know if anyone is "angry" about the lack of parity. I think it's just boring and maybe a little frustrating. The league has never had the level of parity that the NFL has, but it's never been quite this predictable.

Jason Tate and truelovewaits like this.
  4. Jason Tate May 26, 2017
    (Last edited: May 26, 2017)
    I'm full on players can do whatever they want to do and I really don't care that much except as a like intellectual whatever it's sports ball so let's talk about it exercise. But there were so many "Durant would never" takes when LeBron went to Miami, and so many people that are now Warriors fans that ripped into LeBron during that period as well. But Miami hadn't won anything in a while and missed the playoffs the year before when James did it, and they put that team together and made it special and all that. But Durant going to literally one of the best teams to ever exist ... to me just sucks ... like it made the year less fun ... it made the Warriors as a team less fun to watch ... and the scrappy team that figured out how to be good, together, and grew together, and Curry went supersonic and to a new level ... just got arguably the second best basketball player in the world. Like that just sucks. Durant going to Wizards, or Boston, or really anywhere except Cavs/Warriors I woulda enjoyed all around more (the Warriors, him, etc.) ... but, I also think he missed the point on parity in the league with that move/comment.

And if the Warriors didn't get super "lucky" with what they are paying Curry right now (no where near his worth), they wouldn't be able to have done this. But, alas ... I'll remember the Durant championship as a "went to the best team ever to get a ring" in my head.

Also, I have a friend that became a Warriors fan when I made him watch Curry a few years back when he was just getting cooking. And he DESTROYED LeBron when he went to Miami and now is the biggest Warrior fan ever and I think it's stupid and can't cheer for the Warriors at all anymore and I was the biggest Curry fan ever.

truelovewaits and aoftbsten like this.
  5. Yeah, the last time it had real parity was the 1970s. Basically to shake it up ... you need LeBron James. Haha.

The NFL having a one and out playoffs may help it feel like it has more parity. Although fuck the Patriots.

aoftbsten and Snewt like this.
  6. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

The NFL has pretty good parity as a whole, the AFC does not

Maybe it'll have a bit more over the years with Peyton gone and Brady (eventually like when I'm 90) retiring though

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

With apologies to the Cavs fans in here, I really don't think this series will be close. I hope it is, but I really doubt it. If the Cavs do pull it off, well then the MJ vs Lebron debate can start to become a real conversation in my opinion.

8. Yeah, and it's way better than the NBA at least. Pretty consistently different winners for the last two decade.

I really am just bummed about this year's NBA playoffs. They sucked.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  9. Fucking Dustin

I agree entirely. Like, as a Mavs fan, when a team is so good that it's boring enough to make me actually WANT the Spurs to win a series, it's very very bad.

Jason Tate and truelovewaits like this.
  10. Larry David

Ben R. needs to retire too, to help

11. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

The thing with the NBA is, there's very few TRULY game-changing players. There are a ton of very good players but you need a superstar to win nowadays, most likely two.

12. Fucking Dustin

I'm not against this idea at all, hahaha

truelovewaits likes this.
  13. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

One and done is a big factor, along with the way they schedule (playoff teams usually get a tougher schedule for the following season, I think. Could be extremely wrong on that though). Dropping to best of 3 or 5 in the first round could help, but I'm not sure how much.

14. Larry David

This is about as well put as I've seen to get everything across that makes me still sick over him going to the Warriors.

aoftbsten and Fucking Dustin like this.
  15. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

The NFL is much more of a team sport, individual dominance really does not matter much (i.e. Adrian Peterson the last decade)

16. Ditto. I want the Cavs to win, 'cause that makes the LeBron is the best ever convo more fun (and every person that brings up losing in the finals just pisses me off and if he lost in these finals that they'd use that against him in that debate is just stupid, stupid, stupid) .... and I like cheering against Draymond and the Durant-Warriors (even more now that Curry has been pushed to almost an afterthought ... I really hope he leaves to prove he can lead a team elsewhere).

But I think at this point, Cavs will maybe win one game. (I think going 16-0 matters to the Warriors like 73 wins did last year, and I could see it happening pretty easily actually, I don't know if the games will be close.) I don't think the Cavs have the defense to win, and they can't win out scoring them like the have so far in the playoffs.

Hell, I said last year if the Cavs won it would be the most amazing basketball thing I've ever seen. And now the stakes went up another level and it's like "well, fuck, I guess go for it." Maybe Durant will fail in the spotlight and the basketball gods will smite Lacob again. But, on paper, I really don't see it happening.

truelovewaits and aoftbsten like this.
  17. Fucking Dustin

Scheduling is done based on division seeding for NFL.

You always play:
    1. The 3 other teams in your division twice each
    2. One full NFC division
    3. One full AFC division

And then based on your seed, you play the team in each of the (NFC/AFC, whichever your team is in) divisions who is equal to your seed. So if you go #1 in division, you play the other #1 division teams in your conference.

So like, you get a tougher schedule in a sense, but it's really only 2 games that end up tougher than they would've been.

But regardless of all that the parity really is much better for the reason @Max_123 specified

aoftbsten likes this.
  18. Fingers crossed. We need more good young QBs.

Fucking Dustin and truelovewaits like this.
  19. Larry David

I just need Brady to retire so playing the Patriots twice a year doesn't start our season at 0-2 automatically

cshadows2887 likes this.
  20. Fucking Dustin

Please Deshaun please please please

Hahahahaha

21. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

Hackenberg

22. Larry David

Max_123 likes this.
  23. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

2010's is LeBron's era. The 2000's was Kobe's and the 90's belongs to MJ.

There is so much to take into account when discussing who the GOAT is. Stats, rules, game manipulation based on rules, bias, and culture are so different between eras and it continues to evolve. That's why I'm not a huge fan of these debates haha. Plus, its like an everyday thing now and its gotten quite annoying.

That aside, I'd like to see the Cavs repeat. I don't really care about LeBron and he'll do him, but I'm a huge fan of Kyrie and Korver haha. I'm mainly excited that Korver has an opportunity to finally get a ring. I think the Cavs can actually do it, but they are gonna have to play aggressive, stomp on these guys, and get in their heads, which is very possible.

24. I'd argue a really great QB though does matter though, and that individual dominance in the NBA doesn't matter as much as we sometimes think (with the exception being LeBron) .... like I can name countless All Stars or great, great players that still can't win or even get to the finals. Chris Paul, Griffen, Davis, Boogie, Harden ... I think basketball as a team is very important. Unless you have a generational talent like James, and even then it took years for him to actually win. And Warriors don't win without their bench two years ago (again with James on the other end of that with scrubs, haha). And are so good this year specifically because of four team players.

With the # of players on a team, the NFL in general matters more who is coaching and the combination of personal ... but I think there are a lot of factors that lead to better parity in that league vs the NBA. The NBA are their own worst enemy in quite a few places where they could fix this.

25. Larry David

The thing is though, Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer have both won super bowls at QB. That's the NBA equivalent of Gallinari taking the Nuggets to the promised land.

aoftbsten likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.