Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2015-2016 NHL Season Thread [ARCHIVED] Hockey

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

Official NHL Discussion Thread

2. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

No other NHL fans on here yet? Better be some discussion in here by playoff time!

3. Bruins fan checking in.

4. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Blue Jackets fan here.

5. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

6. Michael Schmidt

Preds fan, eh! I really hope Jones and Murray can develop into the type of defenders we think we have.

7. Alec Joy

Regular Prestigious

I miss Tyler Ennis so much. Concussions suck.

8. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Ya Preds fan. Jones is going to be a top defenseman in the league in a few years. Lot of skill, just needs to fine-tune his game.

I love Joey as well though. The shot in the arm Nashville needed.

9. Michael Schmidt

He will be good for you guys, even if the goals are down for now. I wasn't surprised we traded him, but I was surprised at the timing when it happened. I was hoping to do business with your team at the deadline for Hartnell, but it never happened.

10. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

There was rumor of a Hartnell trade with NSH back in January but it just never seemed to work out. My guess is Columbus wanted some prospects the Preds weren't willing to part with.

11. Michael Schmidt

I think you're right. I saw stuff floating around with Fiala as the asking price. As the deadline got closer, I saw things revolving around Wilson, which CBJ can't do given some of our bad contracts (i.e. Clarkson).

12. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Flyers gon make the playoffs.

13. Michael Schmidt

Can we (CBJ) trade you Clarkson in the offseason, please?

14. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Ask me in 2011.

I've always disliked him quite a bit. Not sure what Columbus saw in him.

15. Michael Schmidt

The trade actually makes sense in a weird way at the time it was done. The team was denied insurance disability on Horton's contract, so they were "stuck" with it counting against the cap on top of paying the actual dollars out. However, Horton was never going to play again, so ownership said, if they are stuck committing the money they have to find someone who can "play". Toronto was in the opposite situation. They had a diminishing asset with a bloated contract and did not want to play them anymore. Therefore, the trade was done so that Toronto could free the roster up, remove a media headache, etc. and Columbus could get a player they can theoretically use. All of that said, I wish they didn't have that ownership mandate because that contract is severely impacting our flexibility.

16. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Have they used their release yet? Sounds like the perfect way to get out of that. Or find a team that barely hits the cap floor. That was a great way for us to offload Pronger's contract on AZ.

17. Michael Schmidt

They have not used their release to my knowledge. It's my understanding that the release would lower the cap hit, but drag the term out, correct? I don't think our ownership is down for that because I feel they would have done it with Boll by now.

18. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Blue Jackets | No cure for headache from Clarkson’s deal

So if the Blue Jackets bought out Clarkson this summer, they would save only $2 million and still owe him $20 million.

yuck

19. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Hahaha i still can't even fathom that the Blue Jackets took on that Clarkson deal from Toronto. That is probably one of the worst contracts in NHL history.

As a longtime Devils fan, I saw that coming a mile away.

20. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I remember a lot of my friends being mad about him leaving Jersey. Those thoughts very quickly diminished.

21. Michael Schmidt

Yeah, that is why I tried to emphasize the ownership directive because, if anything, Jarmo has been pretty conservative. That was part of the contention with Joey's negotiation and looking forward why they were willing to trade him. No front office wanted to take that Clarkson contract on.

22. thethingis

Meet me in Montauk. Prestigious

I'm ashamed of how few Avs games I've watched this year.

23. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

That's a shame b/c they are actually a fun team to watch. They may barely miss the playoffs though.

24. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Preds are rolling. Give me the playoffs now!

25. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

13-game point streak. Yeeeaaah

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.