Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2010 in film. • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, Sep 30, 2021.

1. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Inception is alright and the Town is okay. Neither are close to my top 25 for the year I don’t think

2. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

They're both top ten but I've also seen very little from this year.

3. George

Trusted Prestigious

There's some good cheese / trash horror from Japan at the start of this decade or the end of the last. Filmmakers like Noboru Iguchi or Yoshihiro Nishimura were making some really juvenile and silly films, but with huge amounts of charm, and absolutely nothing too leering or nasty, just loads of gore and robots and body horror.

It's a bit of "seen one and you've seen them all", but stuff like Dead Sushi, Tokyo Gore Police, The Machine Girl, RoboGeisha or Mutant Girls Squad might be worth trying to check out.

They're quite innocent films, just full of peoples heads being ripped off, and women in skimpy clothing with machine guns or swords for arms, dumb as anything, but pretty fun in the right setting.

Contender, SpyKi and OhTheWater like this.
  4. chris

Trusted Supporter

1. Blue Valentine
    2. The Social Network
    3. Beginners

SpyKi likes this.
  5. Long Century

Regular

1. Certified Copy
    2. MacGuber
    3. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives

I don't remember exactly why I didn't like the Social Network but im not rewatching it, too many dorks.

Inception was hype! I remember seeing the trailer in theatre and that first BRAMMM wow, then ten more in a row! BRAM BRAM BRAM, WOOAH hooked. Everyone doin upside-down shit YES! incredibly fun movie.

We missed it when it came out but MacGuber was the most quoted movie in my friend group for about 5 years, it just wouldn't die, even when you thought It was on the edge they just doubled down harder. I don't hear MacGuber quotes anymore because over the past few years we've all slowly moved away.

I need to see Poetry and Another Year; they've been sitting on my watch list for a while.

George, SpyKi and Victor Eremita like this.
  6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Jackass 3D did come out this year, right? How the fuck am I the only vote?!

7. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

1. The Social Network
    2. Black Swan
    3. Scott Pilgrim vs the World

Just on the outside looking in is Toy Story 3, Tangled, The Fighter, Submarine, and Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work.

8. Fronnyfron

Woke Up Right Handed Prestigious

1. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
    2. The Social Network
    3. Certified Copy

9. Morrissey

Trusted

I'm pleasantly surprised with the way this year is going.

10. Long Century

Regular

What did you expect to happen?

11. Morrissey

Trusted

I didn't think films like Certified Copy or Another Year or Uncle Boonmee were as well known.

12. ALT/MSC/FAN

I actually did a podcast with my friend about the trilogy, but I honestly think it's the weakest of the three and I LOVE Jackass.

13. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I'm surprised but very happy multiple people have voted for Blue Valentine ha. Love seeing Beginners and Poetry mentioned too.

CarpetElf likes this.
  14. chris

Trusted Supporter

Uncle Boonmee has been on my to-watch for a while, I should try to get to it this week

15. soggytime

Trusted

1. The Social Network
    2. Toy Story 3
    3. Macgruber

16. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

1. Social Network
    2. MacGruber
    3. The Fighter
    4. Scott Pilgrim
    5. 127 Hours
    6. Toy Story 3
    7. Winters Bone
    8. True Grit
    9. Black Swan
    10. Inception

the rural juror likes this.
  17. secretsociety92 Oct 2, 2021
    (Last edited: Oct 2, 2021)
    secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

This is a fairly modest start to the decade with there definitely being more than enough to contend for my top three and they are -

1. How to Train Your Dragon
    2. Inception
    3. Four Lions

Others I love are in bold followed by other likeable efforts; True Grit, I Saw the Devil, Troll Hunter, Ip Man 2, Black Swan, Shutter Island, Toy Story 3, Senna, The Crazies, Red Hill, Frozen, Buried and The American.

18. Morrissey

Trusted

The Social Network wins it with 40 votes. Nothing else was particularly close. The Social Network will move on to the bracket.

CarpetElf likes this.
  19. Morrissey

Trusted

Inception didn't do nearly as well as I thought it would, but it was worrying how many times Incendies popped up. One false prophet falls, another rises.

Long Century and SpyKi like this.
  20. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

lol

CarpetElf likes this.
  21. atlas

Trusted

Incendies is good thanks

22. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

Villeneuve is much, much better than Nolan thanks

23. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Villeneuve was probably my favourite director of the last decade in terms of how many of my favourite films he made.

24. ALT/MSC/FAN

I need to see Incendies

25. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I’m not that up or down on him personally, but he has struck a chord with people who don’t branch out that much in their film viewing and they think he’s the next Kubrick. And that’s not a comment on anyone in these threads, just a comment on friends I have whose interest in film is more casual/film people on Twitter who mostly watch blockbusters

OhTheWater likes this.