Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2004 in film. • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, Sep 5, 2021.

1. Long Century Sep 6, 2021
    (Last edited: Sep 7, 2021)
    Long Century

Regular

Part of great satire is its ability to capture the appeal of its subject. Acknowledging the immense pride being patriotic brings people and how it's being used to promote invading other countries is central to its message. There will always be people who miss satire, the amount of ham fisting required to get through to them would ruin the film, and they'd still probably start a fight club anyway.

Victor Eremita likes this.
  2. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

Half this country is incapable of picking up on irony. Fortunate Son and Born in the USA would play at Trump rallies.

3. soggytime

Trusted

1. Before Sunset
    2. The Incredibles
    3. Anchorman

4. Eternal Sunshine
    5. Spider-Man 2
    6. Kill Bill Vol. 2
    7. Collateral
    8. Shaun of the Dead
    9. Team America: World Police
    10. The Spongebob Squarepants Movie

Matthewconte likes this.
  4. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

My dad used to work in Manhattan and would buy us those bootleg DVDs from guys on the street and our copy of The Spongebob Squarepants Movie didn't have a menu screen, so it just started and then when it ended it just started over again, so the player was basically always on and playing the movie and we'd just randomly switch the input over and watch whatever part it was at. It'd probably be my #4 or 5 this year.

Long Century likes this.
  5. atlas

Trusted

whoops, almost missed this thread

1. Collateral
    2. Spider-Man 2
    3. Million Dollar Baby

I understand why people may find Million Dollar Baby emotionally manipulative but it's still crushing to me. Spider-Man 2 is still my favorite superhero movie of all time. I mourn the fact that we will never have another one where an emotionally vulnerable superhero battles one (1) villain with no extraneous bullshit attached again almost daily. Collateral is Mann, Cruise, and Jamie Foxx firing on all cylinders. Easy #1 pick for me

6. Morrissey

Trusted

I have never really resolved where I landed on the Million Dollar Baby controversy about her choosing to die rather than being disabled. I understand the horror that the disabled community felt about their life being compared to being dead, but the character's individual choice isn't necessarily a statement by Eastwood or anyone else.

Long Century and jkauf like this.
  7. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I took it as her character’s lack of education and barely scrapped by as a waitress. Boxing was her only route for a potential career and prosperity. Her own family took advantage of any money she earned. When that was taken away, she saw no other option.

8. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

1. Shaun of the Dead
    2. Spider-Man 2
    3. The Incredibles

Other contenders for the top three are in bold with the rest being honourable mentions; Shrek 2, Team America: World Police, Man On Fire, The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, Kill Bill: Vol. 2, Collateral, Hellboy, Layer Cake, Cellular, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events, and Creep.

9. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

1. Shaun of the Dead
    2. Dawn of the Dead
    3. Garden State

I am a man of very sophisticated film taste.

I also haven't seen Eternal Sunshine and I know it's a huge huge blindspot not only because of it's reputation but also as someone who really enjoyed Jim Carrey's career and as someone who has heard the basic premise and is super interested in it lol please don't hurt me

10. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    2. Collateral
    3. Shaun of the Dead

11. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

12. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

1. House of Flying Daggers
    2. Before Sunset
    3. Kill Bill Vol. 2

13. Morrissey

Trusted

Before Sunset wins it with 37 votes. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was in second place with 24 votes. Before Sunset will move on to the bracket.

SpyKi and phaynes12 like this.
  14. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Sad my favourite movie lost but there's not many better choices to lose to.

15. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    2. Collateral
    3. Man on Fire

Other standouts:
    Closer, Crash, Sideways, I Robot, Wicker Park, Anchorman, The Notebook, Kill Bill 2, Shaun of the Dead, Before Sunset, The Woodsman, The Machinist, The Butterfly Effect, Mean Creek,