2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by fronkensteen, Jul 5, 2016.

1. fronkensteen

Trusted

What can you say about 2001: A Space Odyssey that hasn't already been said?

It's a cinematic masterwork that I can't see being surpassed by any other film ever made. I've always liked it ever since I saw it 6 or 7 years ago, but each time I watch it, it climbs higher and higher up my personal list and has finally reached number one.

What a film.

2. DeviantRogue

Black Metal Season Prestigious

I still haven't seen this despite enjoying everything else Kubrick has done by quite a bit.

Bought it on iTunes once and found that I couldn't actually watch it on my computer due to some DRM shit.

Some day.

3. fronkensteen

Trusted

It's hard to talk about how much I love this movie without it coming off pretentious or cliched, but it's just incredible.

I know some people can't get past long scenes of music or scenes where "nothing happens" or the monkeys, but you have to at least push yourself to watch it all in one setting at some point.

4. sponsor
  5. Driving2theBusStation Jul 5, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 5, 2016)
    Driving2theBusStation

Regular

Yeah, still the most satisfying space movie I've seen. I wish Interstellar took a page from it and had less dialogue and exposition. It's crazy how the movie predicted AI, moon/planet colonizing (scientists are currently developing ways to build bases on Mars and the Moon) and even ipads/tablets. The most dated thing about it is putting a specific near-future, uh, date, in the title. If it were just called "A Space Odyssey" it would've aged a bit more gracefully. Still, for movies that capture the feeling of what it must be like to explore space you can't do much better. Though the upcoming Malick film might be the only one to show the cosmos and history of life on the planet as well as 2001, but we'll see...

fronkensteen likes this.