Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

20 Years Ago: Sublime Frontman Passes Away

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 25, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Brendan Manley, writing for Diffuser, remembers Bradley Nowell, the Sublime frontman, on the 20-year anniversary of his death:

After the album was released, it became a runaway success and spawned four hit singles (“What I Got,” “Santeria,” “Wrong Way” and “Doin’ Time”) on its way to multi-platinum status. It also helped define the ’90s third-wave ska scene (which also featured genre-bending bands like No Doubt and 311) and the album placed a global spotlight on Nowell’s evocative lyrical imagery and his unflinching portraits of the seedy side of SoCal.

2. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

He left behind a legacy of solid music that's inspired a whole bunch of terrible bands.

3. Jacob Davidson

Regular

Ain't that the truth

Carmensaopaulo and Zilla like this.
  4. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

Will always love Sublime. Not really into the reformed version of the band. At least Sloghtly Stoopid is still pretty good.

5. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Sublime was incredible. Bradley is an absolute legend and was an incredible song writer. RIP. Can't believe it's already been 20 years.

6. Jake Z

Regular

Very sad, and reading an article about him that he basically started using heroin to live the rock n roll stereotypical lifestyle. Such a shame.

7. Ska Senanake

Trusted

He never saw Sublime reach the level of success they reached. He died before the self titled even came out. Fucking insane.

8. Jake Z

Regular

Yeah exactly. It is a shame, and even moreso for the reason he started shooting smack.

9. DooDooBird

Trusted

I really liked Sublime when I was younger. There's a handful of good memories that come to my mind when I think about their music. I do feel a little white trash listening to their music at this point in my life though. I just don't find it cool at all like I did during my teenage years.

Jacob Davidson likes this.