Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1999 in film. • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

we need to talk about american beauty over the insider like we talk about forrest gump over pulp fiction

2. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I have not seen insider but I have seen both Thin Red Line and Shakspeare in Love

Victor Eremita likes this.
  3. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I remember an article way back when with a survey of UK people and they ranked Braveheart as the worst Best Picture winner.

CarpetElf likes this.
  4. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

They’re just bitter because they lose at the end

5. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Fools.

6. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

It's not very good but worst? Naaaah

7. George

Trusted Prestigious

Crash is surely the worst “Best Picture" winner that I can recall.

riotspray and phaynes12 like this.
  8. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Green Book

riotspray and jkauf like this.
  9. George

Trusted Prestigious

Probably - I haven't seen that though, but it didn't look good!

10. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

1. Eyes Wide Shut
    2. Magnolia
    3. The Virgin Suicides

SpyKi likes this.
  11. stars143

Trusted

1. The Matrix
    2. Eyes Wide Shut
    3. Office Space

12. Morrissey

Trusted

Eyes Wide Shut wins it with 15 votes. Magnolia and The Matrix were in second place with 12 votes each. Eyes Wide Shut will move on to the bracket.

jkauf and SpyKi like this.
  13. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Happy with that.

14. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Rewatching American Movie. Man this is so fucking funny and inspiring and sad

15. soggytime

Trusted

Insane year.

1. Toy Story 2 (I mean, it's possibly the greatest American film ever made as well)
    2. Eyes Wide Shut
    3. The Matrix

16. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

That’s quite a claim

17. soggytime

Trusted

I stand by it

18. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Have you seen Magic Mike XXL

19. Morrissey

Trusted

Isn't Toy Story 2 the worst Toy Story?

Victor Eremita and SpyKi like this.
  20. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

not anymore

21. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

YEah I like American Beauty, I always thought yes the movie makes you sympathatic towards Spacey's character in the end, but that it was clear throughout the movie that he was engaging in bad and self destructive behavior. I think they went overboard in making his wife TOO "shrewish wife" character, and had they eased up on her a little bit it would have made it even more obvious he was being ridiculous. But they make you sympathize with her in the end too I thought.

Definitely a lot of nostalgia for me attached to a lot of these movies as I'm looking at a list. The Mummy is up there for me. Fight Club was and still is great, don't let the weirdo fanbase ruin it. The amount of "Teen movies" taht came out that year seems insane. Varsity Blues, She's All That, Never Been Kissed, 10 Things I Hate About You, Cruel Intentions, etc etc etc.

And as I look at the list I realize I've just seen a lottttttttttt of movies that came out in 1999 lol. Though It's definitely possible some of these came out in 1998 and just stayed on the box office list becuase I just noticed that Saving Private Ryan is on the box office list for 1999 even though it came out in 1998. Some aren't that good but I enjoy(ed) watching them anyway! Big Daddy, The Blair Witch Project, The World Is Not Enough, Wild Wild West, Analyze This(!), Sleepy Hollow, Patch Adams, Deep Blue Sea, Blue Streak, The Green Mile, Life, Stepmom, You've Got Mail, South Park, Any Given Sunday, A Bug's Life, October Sky, Lake Placid, Mighty Joe Young, Mystery Men, Dogma, Enemy of the State, Galaxy Quest, Stir of Echos, The Faculty(!), Man on the Moon, The Wood, Baby Geniuses (lol at that one), Bicentennial Man...just an insane amount of movies that I've seen! But looking at it written out like that I am almost certain not all of these came out in 1999, just listed on the box office list for it.

22. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Watched this last night because I had somehow never even heard of it until this post. Absolutely a new favorite of mine.

Victor Eremita and OhTheWater like this.
  23. Morrissey

Trusted

If you have a Letterboxd, it is the best way to track films. That, or search Wikipedia for "19xx in film", which has them sorted by American release dates.

24. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

25. Morrissey

Trusted

jkauf likes this.