Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1998 in film. • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, Aug 11, 2021.

1. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Deep Impact is the better kind of film if you consider Armageddon to be a movie about an asteroid hitting earth. But it is absolutely not the better kind of film if you consider Armageddon a comedy.

2. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Unintentional hilarity can only carry a bad film so far and a 150 minute running time is way too long for it to fall into so bad it is good territory.

CarpetElf likes this.
  3. Morrissey

Trusted

I haven't seen Armageddon in over twenty years so I looked up a couple clips on YouTube. Other than being shot way too dark for some reason, the scene with liftoff feels like a commercial for NASA. They even shoot Liv Tyler standing against a giant American flag.

The danger is in how effective that propaganda is. People eat that stuff up. I have never seen any Transformers movies but I know the U.S. military is involved in that in some capacity and I assume they come out looking heroic. Armageddon and Independence Day also feel like a precursor to the louder and dumber blockbusters that will come to dominate the next decade and beyond.

Victor Eremita and CarpetElf like this.
  4. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

honestly, had no idea it was that long holy shit lol.

secretsociety92 likes this.
  5. Deep impact sucks

6. Morrissey

Trusted

The Big Lebowski wins it with 24 votes. The Truman Show was in second place with 16 votes. The Big Lebowski will move on to the bracket.

secretsociety92 and SpyKi like this.
  7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Fuckin A man

SpyKi likes this.
  8. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

shut the fuck up, donnie

9. Jake Gyllenhaal Aug 14, 2021
    (Last edited: Aug 14, 2021)
    Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

It really tied the room together

10. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

1. American History X
    2. The Big Lebowski
    3. Rounders

Other standouts:
    Enemy of the State, Very Bad Things, The Truman Show,

11. delvec19

Trusted

First film I ever fell asleep in the theater to.