Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1995 in music. • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by phaynes12, Jan 3, 2022.

1. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I always thought this site hates RHCP

irthesteve likes this.
  2. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

AM is very solid, but as far as Wilco goes we'll see starting next year.

By the Way is (ironic w the previous page hate) the single RHCP song I enjoy. I won't say bad band, but very much not my thing lol.

3. Gianni

Trusted

I love that this site is normalizing hating on RHCP the way many other critics / publications normalized hating on 311. I always thought there were so many easier and more deserving targets than 311 lol.

311 > RHCP always and forever!

manoverboard365 likes this.
  4. Jim

Trusted Supporter

Whoever called RHCP a singles band was dead on

5. George

Trusted Prestigious

I don’t have any feelings for them either way, but never a bad time for this classic Nick Cave quote;

“I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.“

6. Gianni

Trusted

classic enough, but also a contender for the most pretentious quote of all time. Just sayin'.

That being said, there's never any "beefs" anymore. Every artist is too paranoid to talk shit on other artists. Too busy upholding their "image".

7. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

It doesn't matter how many times I read that quote, I always laugh.

8. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I like RHCP. The same way I like The Doors. Their haters are just denying a lot of very enjoyable songs. The zealots are insane and not good at determining what good lyrics are.

9. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

if they write a song as good as peace frog i’ll apologize but i’ll probably be dead before that happens

Blainer93 likes this.
  10. cshadows2887

“Other Side” > “Peace Frog”

Want a real hot take though? The best song either band ever made was “Touch Me”

Gianni28 likes this.
  11. tomdelonge

Trusted

Literally my exact thoughts

The Lucky Moose and cshadows2887 like this.
  12. phaynes12

wtf chris

cshadows2887 likes this.
  13. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I've lived in California my whole life and can admit that 90% of RHCP is bad

phaynes12 likes this.
  14. The Lucky Moose

That was me, give me my flowers :crylaugh:

Jim likes this.
  15. cshadows2887 Jan 6, 2022
    (Last edited: Jan 6, 2022)
    cshadows2887

I always thought it was a bit of a joke that the Grammys nominated Joan Osborn’s Relish for Album of the Year. Turns out I’m an idiot. “One of Us” still holds up, but does not give a good indication of the album’s sound at ALL. Its DNA has a lot of Melissa Etherige, Sheryl Crow, and Bonnie Raitt. Basically, she actually has the goods that artists like Joss Stone or Elle King have pretended at. Really glad I listened

Edit: turns out the whole thing was co-written with the guys from The Hooters. That makes a lot of sense in terms of quality.

16. Surfwax

17. Surfwax

Maybe I did mean bad band lol

18. StreetSpirit

play the blues, punk Supporter

1 Oasis - What's the Story (Morning Glory)
    2 GZA - Liquid Swords
    3 D'Angelo - Brown Sugar

Morning Glory is the GOAT pop rock album, don't love much of their other stuff but it's been awhile and will prob revisit it as these threads continue.

Liquid Swords edges out Fishscale for best non-36 Chambers Wu adjacent album.

Obv Voodoo (deservedly) gets all the adoration but more accessible D'Angelo is nearly as great.

Gianni28, Craig Manning and phaynes12 like this.
  19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I don't typically listen to Mellon Collie all the way through anymore, but I am now and it just solidifies how much I love it. Disc 2 is a little bit worse than the first (which is absolutely perfect except for "Take Me Down"), but it still has Bodies and 1979 and a ton of other good stuff.

Surfwax likes this.
  20. phaynes12

there’s a twitter account that does brackets for years of music, and i wrote about oasis for 1995, just in case you needed convincing to listen to the album lol

21. The Lucky Moose

I think that really depends on the bubble. Everyone I know irl prefers Brown Sugar.

22. StreetSpirit

play the blues, punk Supporter

Yeah, I guess I should've said "critical" adoration, although in my experience even outside of that sphere it's held in pretty high regard. Usually oldheads lol

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  23. The Lucky Moose

Yeah I mean it’s D’Angelo after all. He doesn’t miss. But the hardcore R&B heads in my circle usually prefer Brown Sugar I have found. I do too I guess.

StreetSpirit and cherrywaves like this.
  24. The Lucky Moose

Also shout out to Brown Sugar the movie feat Mos Def

25. Gianni

Trusted

Faith No More might take the cake for 90s band that I have slept on the most in my lifetime. What an awesome fucking band. I have enjoyed every single track I've heard by them over the last month or so. Great adds to my library.

JM95 and The Lucky Moose like this.