Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1995 in music. • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by phaynes12, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I liked them a lot when I was in middle school/high school, but I feel like outgrew them a bit over time. I think By The Way is their best record on the whole, but it definitely wouldn't make my top 3 in a stacked year like 2002.

2. Craig Manning

For the record, I'm not saying I want that to happen.

phaynes12 likes this.
  3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

it’ll be interesting. i would say a handful of our previous winners don’t have massive engagement in their threads on this site, but that’s probably gonna change as we get further into the era of bands that were active during the time of ap.net

Gianni28 likes this.
  4. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

I couldn't see this forum having enough votes for RHCPafter more people becoming aware in recent times of the content in Anthony's autobiography.

5. phaynes12

sadly, i think you’re overestimating how much people care about that. i mean, i hate the band, so i hope i’m wrong. but yeah, idk.

6. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

1999 has some cray rap albums too

Blainer93 likes this.
  7. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Love seeing Collective Soul on a handful of honorable mention lists. Perfectly rated band, instant nostalgia and legitimately pretty solid to boot.

Gianni28 and phaynes12 like this.
  8. tomdelonge

Trusted

I have a lot to say about 1995 (and ive been packing for a cross-country drive all week and i need a breather…)

I love Cheshire Cat, and at the time (more like 1998) probably listened to it more than Dude Ranch, probably because it’s so crappy and unlistenable and not that much better than my own crappy middle school bands. It’s stupid, stupid is good.

Kinda surprised The Cardigans haven’t been mentioned yet!

The Tragic Kingdom singles are all timers, but it’s way too long and not many of the album tracks are very memorable even tho I’ve heard them a hundred times. The drum fills in Sunday Morning are some of my favorite music. I dunno why but I never listen to “Don’t Speak”

The Foo Fighters album is more of a really cool album than a great one.

I don’t have strong Alice In Chains leanings and I like this one a lot, I love how dry it is.

Natalie Merchant - Tigerlily seems a little slept on nowadays? Super good.

Shout out Less Than Jake. Pezcore is too long but it’s so joyous and fun.

First Garbage album is crazy. Probably my favorite, but the Version 2.0 is awfully close

I don’t loooove Totally Crushed Out, but it’s worth a listen. I don’t think That Dog really found their groove to Return To The Sun. But ppl love this album, I’m probably wrong.

About Time is my favorite Pennywise album, as it should be for any discerning skate punk listener. Incredible Jerry Finn mix, and the songs are really strong. Pennywise was like one x-factor shy of mainstream success.

Daydream is a pop heavy

Washing Machine might be my favorite Sonic Youth album

Adios Amigos rules, Ramones forever

9. tomdelonge

Trusted

The 1995 album I’d like to spend more time with is Not A Pretty Girl by Ani DiFranco

10. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Not to sound like Pat, but if By the Way wins a year I'm OUT. Haha

Jim, Blainer93, JM95 and 2 others like this.
  11. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Californiacation will be 5th that year at max, mark my words!

The Lucky Moose and Gianni28 like this.
  12. irthesteve

and By The Way? I thought that was the name of a song on Californiacation, no way that even ranks on this site

13. phaynes12

please do your research steven

14. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Listening to Pulp right now. Opening track is a banger.

Stadium Arcadium is gonna win 2006

phaynes12 likes this.
  15. irthesteve

BYYY THE WAY I COULDA THOUGHT I\'D BE THEREEEE

WAITING FORRRRR

DUM DUM DOODODOD DODOALB

FREAK POT!
    JIG DOG!
    FRAG MAG!
    GLLAAARRRRRRRRRR

STADIONG IN LINE TO SEE THE SHOW TONIGHT

BUT THERE'S A LIGHT ON!!!!!! HEAVY GLOWWWWWW

George and JRGComedy like this.
  16. Gianni

Trusted

I suspect that Wilco's 00s output will fare better in these threads, but A.M. is so so good. Such a breezy, fun listen. Always sounds amazing in the springtime when the weather is just starting to get warm. Not to mention it's way more accessible than their more recent stuff.

Highly recommended.

And look how YOUNG Tweedy is!

17. Craig Manning

Listened to that Wilco album for what I think was the first time yesterday. Can’t be sure, because it’s definitely been in my music library for a long, long time. But it was very good! Springtime evening vibe for sure.

Gianni28 likes this.
  18. jdr2187

jdr2187

I’ve always liked that first Wilco record but I’ve always leaned more toward Son Volt’s Trace from this year. Felt like Jay Farrar came out of the gate after the Uncle Tupelo break up the strongest, but then never could live up to that debut. Where as Wilco did nothing but get better and better after AM.

19. phaynes12

i hate this song. i want to agree with you but that album has two or three massive, massive hits on it lol

20. irthesteve

time will tell my friend.... I just don't feel like this site and RHCP mesh as much as you do... we'll see

21. phaynes12

it’s my least favorite wilco album and it’s the only time post-uncle tupelo where ferrar outclassed tweedy (son volt’s trace), but it’s still decent. passenger side is a+

jdr2187 likes this.
  22. Gianni

Trusted

This week will be my first listen to Trace - I will report back!

phaynes12 likes this.
  23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

No shot does RHCP win a year, even for their better albums

24. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Waiting for all the people coming back to say how good OB4CL is

OhTheWater likes this.
  25. phaynes12

it’s very good and i said that in my post

williek311 likes this.