Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1989 in music. • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by phaynes12, Nov 8, 2021.

1. George

Trusted Prestigious

13 Songs or The Argument are my favourite Fugazi records, - but nothing they did dipped below a 9/10 for me. Incredibly consistent band.

phaynes12 likes this.
  2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i agree with the score and re: the argument

3. tomdelonge

Trusted

Pretty sure Guy played guitar on the Margin Walker songs.

I imagine 13 Songs is a consensus top 3 album for most Fugazi listeners.

And yes, technically 2 eps, but in the late 90’s when I first listened to Fugazi, everyone I knew (of course i was a kid and just started going to shows) thought of 13 Songs as the first album.

4. tomdelonge

Trusted

13 Songs and The Argument are also my two favorites

13 Songs production is way too early 90’s for me, but it’s hit after hit

5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I consider 13 Songs like essential Fugazi, but I also don't really listen to their later stuff tbf

6. tomdelonge

Trusted

Also bears mentioning 13 Songs is their best selling release by far.

I can’t remember now if the EP’s were easily available through the 90’s, but it looks like neither got second pressings until the late 2000’s.

I think it’s mildly interesting how the prevailing medium of the era guides the experience of a discography.

When I was a kid, and until the streaming era, the Minor Threat release of record was the Complete Discography CD, and I don’t really recall folks sorting the songs by the singles, ep’s and full length. It was just all those songs. Misfits Collection was another one like that

7. phaynes12

in on the kill taker is their best album

8. George Nov 12, 2021
    (Last edited: Nov 12, 2021)
    George

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah definitely agreed on this - Complete Discography was the only Minor Threat available to me in record shops and stuff, the Out of Step album or whatever just wasn't available, so you'd listen to the whole discography as one album.

9. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

So basically if I enjoyed this I should really check out Repeater?

phaynes12 and George like this.
  10. tomdelonge

Trusted

Repeater and The Argument are must listens. Probably multiple listens. Very very consistent band, but those are the big ones.

Check out a live show or 2 as well, they were possibly better live

11. tomdelonge

Trusted

Mass College Of Art 2002 is a great one from the 2 drummer era

These ones are classics:

12. phaynes12

all of their albums, yes. it's fugazi haha

George likes this.
  13. cshadows2887

I’ll be honest I didn’t realized until pretty recently just HOW highly regarded they are

Gianni28 likes this.
  14. cshadows2887

@Craig Manning have you ever heard of Deacon Blue? Randomly threw on their 1989 album When the World Knows Your Name and I have a sneaking suspicion you would LOVE this. @irthesteve I could see you enjoying them, too.

Craig Manning likes this.
  15. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Never heard of them! RIYL?

16. George

Trusted Prestigious

The great thing about their huge live archive is that you can pick a show where they played locally, which always makes live recordings feel that more personal and intimate if you know the venue. When there’s hundreds to choose from , it makes it easier to pick too.

Fugazi Live Series: A to Z

17. cshadows2887

Saw a review derisively call them a B-team U2. But that’s not really close. Sincere, emotionally-committed, full-band rock music with mixed-gender vocals and little touches from Celtic, country, pop, heartland rock.

Just screams turn-of-the-‘90s version of the bands you love like Keane or Safetysuit

Craig Manning likes this.
  18. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

[​IMG]

cshadows2887 likes this.
  19. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I am certainly curious as well, any tracks to check out or are full albums where its at?

cshadows2887 likes this.
  20. cshadows2887

I’ve only heard this one record and it’s a winner. Hard to pick favorites after a first listen but “Wages Day” and “Circus Lights” stood out

21. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

i'll give em a listen then!

22. tomdelonge

Trusted

1. Operation Ivy - Energy
    2. Pixies - Doolittle
    3. Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever

Between those and Bob Dylan, Fugazi, XTC, FYC, Bad Religion, Blue Nile, De La Soul, Bonnie Raitt, Green Day, The Cure, Pere Ubu, Ray Lynch, B-52s, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Neil Young, The Smithereens, Galaxie 500 n a bunch of other stuff, this year is stacked

Gianni28 likes this.
  23. tomdelonge

Trusted

Some overlooked stuff i love from this year:

super cheesy amazing new age:

A really poppy Pere Ubu banger:

A really cheap tricky hair metal classick:

24. phaynes12

feels pretty safe calling this one. it isn't close lol. the cure's disintegration wins with 29 points, tom petty's full moon fever is 2nd with 15 points and fugazi's 13 songs is 3rd with 8 points

irthesteve and SpyKi like this.
  25. Gianni

Trusted

I'll be honest I prob haven't heard Disintegration in its entirety in over 5 years, maybe closer to 10. I def had a big phase with The Cure tho, and they were still very much in their prime here.

I Didn't get a chance to hear it this week, but plan on listening again soon. It prob should've cracked my top 5. A very deserving win for that one.