Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1989 in film. • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

Do the Right Thing wins it with 26 votes. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was in second place with 11 votes. Do the Right Thing will move on to the bracket.

secretsociety92 likes this.
  2. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

BIG same.

3. tomdelonge Sep 30, 2023
    (Last edited: Sep 30, 2023)
    tomdelonge

Trusted

I saw a screening of The Abyss with a James Cameron q & a this week. I’m probably riding high, but there are things I like more than their Aliens counterparts. Some of the sets, costumes and camera work are killin. And the camaraderie among the crew is tops, less jockish than Aliens and better for it.

Still, it doesn’t quite work in the end. It’s like the filmmakers weren’t confident in the Close Encounters side of the story so they tacked on the thriller aspect, which IS thrilling, much like the wonderment is wonder menting, but they’re so loosely connected that the anti-climactic series of endings takes some shine off an otherwise great movie

(I’m also not really into the romance plot. The script kinda unknowlingly reveals unhealthy attitudes about relationships, some of which Cameron seemed sensitive to in the q & a, but it’s an unseemly element of the movie)

phaynes12 likes this.
  4. Morrissey

Trusted

I only saw it recently. The mystery of the aliens is much more interesting than the military plot.

5. Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

In no particular order the films of 1989 that i meant a lot to me growing up:

Bill & Ted
    Heathers
    Pet Sematary
    Earth Girls Are Easy
    Little Monsters
    Ghostbusters II
    Batman
    Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
    UHF
    Christmas Vacation

BttF2, Kiki's, and Do The Right Thing I didn't see until I was an adult. I wasn't a huge Little Mermaid or Indiana Jones kid. To this day I don't think I have ever seen Major League in full.

6. Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

TIL Major League and Field Of Dreams were released within a month of eachother. Spring '89 greatest time to be A baseball movie fan.

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.