Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1985 in music. • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by phaynes12, Oct 4, 2021.

1. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

never have, no. ill check it out.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

“Life in a Northern Town,” an all-timer! Love that song so much.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  3. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

It’s perfect and it dwarfs the rest of the album. Just truly beautiful

Craig Manning likes this.
  4. Craig Manning

I have not heard the whole album; maybe now is the time! But I’ve loved that song for many years. So gorgeous.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  5. OhTheWater Oct 6, 2021
    (Last edited: Oct 6, 2021)
    OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Actually started the Dream Academy album yesterday too. "Life in a Northern Town" was definitely used in a commercial or movie or something when I was a kid and I have a visceral negative sense memory linked to it, haha. I hate when that happens

EDIT:
    Rest of this album is cool though, really like In Places on the Run and This World

6. cshadows2887

It does work up some nice Gilmour/"Run Like Hell" moments and has some really ethereal other tracks.

Not a lot of bands with 3 members where one plays the oboe and English Horn

7. phaynes12

rain dogs time

George likes this.
  8. phaynes12

three songs in and i’m pretty into this so far. it sounds like if satan was a musician. i’m shocked @cshadows2887 likes it though, especially since you dislike Beefheart so much

9. cshadows2887

Waits is a much more interesting lyricist and even the weird junkyard blues is funky and catchy

SpyKi and phaynes12 like this.
  10. phaynes12

it definitely seems inspired by him - saw a quote from his wife saying her showing tom beefheart led to swordfishtrombone and the "change" in his career

cshadows2887 likes this.
  11. George

Trusted Prestigious

Listened to LL Cool J's Radio. This sort of early hip-hop is usually something that I can respect, but it's not something I necessarily find that interesting. A few years later, stuff like De La Soul / Tribe / Public Enemy etc I really enjoy, but the pre-cursors to them I've never found that good. This is fun though, I enjoyed it, he's a charismatic presence and it sounds like he's having a great time, even if from a beats / instrumentation level, I find it a bit sparse. Can't knock the influence, but probably not one I'll be back to for a while.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  12. cshadows2887

That record is so heavy and relentless I always view it almost as a metal record. Just absolutely asphalt cracking drum machine beats and so little else. It thrills me in its uniqueness.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  13. cshadows2887

Oh absolutely. But that’s the reason I prefer Waits. He took the influence and did something I find much more interesting with it

phaynes12 likes this.
  14. tomdelonge

Trusted

If you like Rain Dogs and Swordfishtrombones there’s probably a Beefheart fan down in you waiting to come out

phaynes12 likes this.
  15. Gianni

Trusted

Every couple of years I listen to Rites of Spring, and every couple of years I am reminded that I need to listen to it way more frequently.

What a great point made by @phaynes12 that this site / AP.net probably wouldn't exist without this record , and "For Want Of". Post of the week right there.

I think I was like 16 and played a Thursday record for someone older and much wiser than I , and he was like "uhhhh you should probably check out Rites of Spring". Lol

phaynes12 likes this.
  16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yeah I vividly remember when I got into them/Embrace

phaynes12 and Gianni28 like this.
  17. Craig Manning

I don't listen to Rain Dogs all that often, but I'm fond of it because it was the first album that @DaydreamNation and I did for our short-lived older music feature on AbsolutePunk.net.

George, DaydreamNation and jdr2187 like this.
  18. cshadows2887

"Downtown Train" and "Anywhere I Lay My Head" make for one of the great home stretches of any album.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  19. cshadows2887

So far:
    Eric Clapton - Behind the Sun
    The Dream Academy - The Dream Academy
    Various Artists - Go Go Crankin'
    Eurythmics - Be Yourself Tonight
    Various Artists - The Indestructible Beat of Soweto
    The Hooters - Nervous Night
    The Temptations - Touch Me

20. oh wow I really forgot these threads were happening huh

phaynes12 likes this.
  21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Psychocandy is cool. I think I listened to this at the beginning of quarantine and enjoyed it. The Ronettes homage in the opener is dope

phaynes12 likes this.
  22. cshadows2887

On the fence about The Mekons, but This Is the Sea by The Waterboys is a fantastic first listen

phaynes12 likes this.
  23. phaynes12

yeah i’ve liked everything i’ve heard from the waterboys doing these

cshadows2887 likes this.
  24. Craig Manning Oct 9, 2021
    (Last edited: Oct 9, 2021)
    Craig Manning

1. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Southern Accents
    2. The Replacements - Tim
    3. R.E.M. - Fables of the Reconstruction

A weird year for me. I don't unapologetically love any of these albums in the same way I have most of my previous winners, but there's something beguiling and mystifying about all three that keeps me coming back to them. Southern Accents is a messy almost-masterpiece with some big duds (and some overly-fussed-over studio recordings) but also 4-5 of the greatest Petty songs ever. Tim isn't a front-to-back winner for me, but has almost all of my favorite Replacements songs (and caps off with "Here Comes a Regular," which probably should have been on my 100 favorite songs list). And Fables is such an outlier in the R.E.M. catalog that it took me years to appreciate it.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  25. tomdelonge

Trusted

1. Replacements - Tim
    2. Tears For Fears
    3. Joni Mitchell - Dog Eat Dog

Dog Eat Dog seems a lil overlooked. Incredible album