Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1981 in music. • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by phaynes12, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Oh shit, I forgot I hadn’t voted yet. Will jot down some thoughts about these albums later, but just to get the vote in…

1. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Hard Promises
    2. Stevie Nicks - Bella Donna
    3. The Rolling Stones - Tattoo You

cshadows2887 likes this.
  2. tomdelonge

Trusted

1. Joan Armatrading - Walk Under Ladders
    2. Bob Dylan - Shot Of Love
    3. Police - Ghost In The Machine

cshadows2887 likes this.
  3. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Gonna sneak in a few more listens tonight after the Pats game while I work.

4. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

kind of a low participation week. people still into this? is it just the year or are people losing interest?

black flag's damaged wins with 13 points. tom petty's hard promises is 2nd with 9 and stevie nicks' bella donna is 3rd with 8.

George likes this.
  5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I'm still into it, but personally I feel like a majority of the 80s are big singles years whereas the 70s we're bigger album years, if that makes sense

phaynes12 likes this.
  6. Gianni

Trusted

Yeah, this year was just so-so for me.

You still closed the voting kinda early! Not that it would've changed anything - lol.

1. Rush - Moving Pictures
    2. Daryl Hall & John Oates - Private Eyes
    3. Squeeze - East Side Story

7. George

Trusted Prestigious

Was a busy week from a life perspective and other music listening priorities, so managed precisely 0 new listens to 1981 albums, which is my first blank week I think since we started this. Will try and play catch up next week if I have more time.

Still into it though! Just bad timing this week for whatever reason, but I’ve added a bunch of albums to my “to listen” list, so a worthwhile exercise for sure.

Gianni28 likes this.
  8. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

1. Stevie Nicks: Bella Donna
    2. The Cure: Faith

Honestly don’t have a 3rd and haven’t had much time to listen. Its been a crazy few weeks but I’m definitely still enjoying this and planning to get back into it a bit more after this week

9. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

You can probably chalk this one up to a very busy week following a long holiday weekend. I know I'm still playing catch up on work stuff.

10. phaynes12

for sure, I get that

11. tomdelonge

Trusted

This was just a fucked week, so exhausting

Kind of a soft year too

i did listen to East Side Story and Talk Talk Talk. Theyre both good albums but they have a few heavies and a lotta filler. Par for the year

12. cshadows2887

I haven’t lost interest in this whatsoever. We just started a day late, and it was the first week of school. Looking forward to 82

Gianni28 and phaynes12 like this.
  13. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

The 82 winner seems like the most obvious one of.... any? year? We'll see...

14. phaynes12

pretty sure i know which album you mean and it’ll probably win but i doubt by our largest margin yet

15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yeah some great ones in 82

16. George

Trusted Prestigious

Getting in just before the 82 thread, I listened to Juju by Siouxsie and the Banshees on my walk to work today. It was enjoyable, they'd slightly lost that punky, bratty energy that I enjoyed from The Scream from 1978, and instead it was very Cure or Joy Division esque, especially in the rhytmn section.

I did feel it did slightly blur into one, or finds itself into a groove and doesn't move from there, we have howling, powerful vocals, some jagged guitars and pounding bass and drum. Creates a good atmosphere, but I think I preferred The Scream, from my very first impression.

OhTheWater and phaynes12 like this.
  17. phaynes12

definitely some Cure there, and interestingly enough Robert Smith joins them by 84 I believe

18. phaynes12

19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Wow yeah this Luther Vandross album is excellent

The Lucky Moose and cshadows2887 like this.
  20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

A House is Not a Home is so good, and (although I knew that's where it came from before) the end of the song that Ye winds up flipping for Slow Jamz made me smile so much

cshadows2887 and phaynes12 like this.
  21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Holy shit, "Maybe Baby" by The Cars is so fucking good. It's like a Cure song

cshadows2887 and tomdelonge like this.
  22. phaynes12

they’re a good band, nick

irthesteve likes this.
  23. tomdelonge

Trusted

Sick song

I hear a lot of Roxy Music too, whose influence often seems to be simmering under the big Cars melodies

For some reason The Thrill Of It All Comes to mind re: Maybe Baby:

24. cshadows2887

As a Bostonian, I frequently forget that not everywhere in the country are The Cars considered a towering staple of classic rock

25. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I missed this thread, I think. I'm listening to this classic of European pop music right and good Lord it's good.

irthesteve likes this.