Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1981 in film. • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, Jun 13, 2021.

1. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

ferris bueller

2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Baby’s Day Out

3. Morrissey

Trusted

Both Possession and Come and See stand out as 80's films I need to see eventually.

Looking at my lists it is funny to see that I have more experience with the 60's than the late 70's and 80's.

4. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Ever seen A Chinese Ghost Story? What a wonderfully batshit movie. Loved every minute of it.

George likes this.
  5. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

1. Evil Dead
    2. Escape from New York
    3. Friday the 13th Part 2

6. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

The 80s remains a powerhouse for blockbusters and nostalgic favorites. I will say the “acclaimed” movies that were big Oscar contenders then don’t hold up. That Last Emperor, Driving Miss Daisy, Out of Africa, Chariots of Fire, all have fallen by the waist side.

7. cshadows2887

*wayside

I’d argue that Amadeus, Reds, Missing, The Verdict, Mississippi Burning, Witness and others hold up as well now as they ever did.

8. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Those are my top 2 from the 80's, ha.

9. George

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah it’s great! There’s a huge amount of those sort of period piece ghost stories during the 80s. All seemed to have the same basic idea, just adding their own twist onto it, with martial arts, horror, comedy, soft core exploitation, romance etc.

The studios in HK were cranking out films at a ridiculous pace, so there’s a lot of mediocrity, but there were lots of wonderfully inventive films unlike anywhere else too.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  10. George Jun 14, 2021
    (Last edited: Jun 14, 2021)
    George

Trusted Prestigious

Do you have any recommendations for unseen / unheralded Japanese films in the 80s?

Off the top of my head (excluding animated films, which had a massive surge), I really haven't seen that many non-animated films in the 80s. Thinking quickly without checking, I'll have seen the Kurosawas, Tampopo, Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence, Tetsuo and the Ballad of Narayama, but that might be it for the whole decade - so I'm sure there's plenty of great stuff I'm missing.

11. username

hey you lil piss baby

On top of the ones you’ve already listed:

Beijing Watermelon
    His Motorbike, Her Island
    Four Sisters
    The Deserted City
    The Discarnates
    Kaito Ruby
    Typhoon Club
    Black Rain (Imamura)

Other than Black Rain, I don’t think any of these have been given proper English friendly releases, but they have all been subtitled. The first 5 are all directed by Nobuhiko Obayashi, who made House/Hausu, and I personally like them all more than that film. Typhoon Club is a coming of age sort of film about a group of students trapped in their school alone during a typhoon. Kaito Ruby is an incredibly charming romantic comedy, often reminding me in spirit of the early Hollywood screwball comedies. This one was only subtitled very recently. I’m pretty sure someone has uploaded it to YouTube, so it is pretty easily accessible as of now.

12. George

Trusted Prestigious

Thank you! I have His Motorbike, Her Island downloaded, but haven't been able to get around to it. I'll see if I can track down the others - haven't heard of any of them, but looking forward to exploring a bit more!

username likes this.
  13. username

hey you lil piss baby

If there is any of them in particular that interests you and you’re having trouble finding it, feel free to message me. I think I have all of these other than Black Rain on my hard drive.

George likes this.
  14. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Other notable ones from this year:
    Mad Max 2
    The Decline of Western Civilization
    The Howling
    The Evil Dead
    The Funhouse
    Madman
    Escape from New York
    Halloween 2 + Friday 2
    The Beyond

Halloween 2 is a solid followup. Definitely the best Michael-centric sequel of the series.
    Friday 2 has the solid machete/wheelchair kill, but I still don't really love the series until Jason is in his full mask attire.
    Escape from NY is fun. I need to watch it again because I wasn't totally in love with it.
    Evil Dead is a really great film, but I think 2 does it better.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  15. George

Trusted Prestigious

Thanks! Will keep that in mind if any of them prove difficult to track down.

16. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Or the Goonies
    Or the Ghostbusters
    Or the Terminator
    Or Aliens
    Or Predator
    Or The Breakfast Club
    Or...The Neverending story!
    [​IMG]

17. cshadows2887

I loved finding out that the “computer grid” view at the beginning of Escape from New York is actually a practical effect because they couldn’t figure out how to do it with computer graphics yet

18. Morrissey

Trusted

It isn't that the decade was bad, it is that many more movies popped out in the last two decades.

Victor Eremita likes this.
  19. Henry

Moderator Moderator

History of the World pt 1

[​IMG]

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  20. stars143

Trusted

1. Raiders of the Lost ark
    2. Time Bandits
    3. Das Boot

secretsociety92 likes this.
  21. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

1. Blow Out
    2. Thief
    3. Evil Dead

secretsociety92 likes this.
  22. Morrissey

Trusted

Raiders of the Lost Ark wins it with 18 votes. Blow Out was in second place with 13 votes. Raiders of the Lost Ark will move on to the bracket.

23. Morrissey

Trusted

I tried to see Possession but I was too busy studying for a test. It is coming soon, though.

SpyKi likes this.
  24. atlas

Trusted

Retroactively changing my #3 spot pick from Raiders of the Lost Ark to Walter Hill's Southern Comfort, which I just watched today. This doesn't do anything in the grand scheme of things but I thought you all should know anyways

SpyKi likes this.