Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1979 in music. • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by phaynes12, Aug 23, 2021.

1. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

C’est Chic is a great fuckin’ album. They were more than a singles band, imo

2. Gianni

Trusted

Yeah I get that, sorry I kind of went stream of consciousness with my thought. I guess my point was that I feel like they tried to re-establish their legacy then and even though it was financially a huge success as we mentioned, it didn't do much to gain them a new generation of fans, which would be the ones building/talking about said legacy.

phaynes12 likes this.
  3. The Lucky Moose Aug 26, 2021
    (Last edited: Aug 26, 2021)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Excuse me, how could your legacy be bigger than this

tomdelonge likes this.
  4. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Also, plugging the Black Uhuru album (Showcase) again

cshadows2887 likes this.
  5. cshadows2887 Aug 26, 2021
    (Last edited: Aug 1, 2022)
    cshadows2887

So far I’ve checked out:

Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door
    Shalamar - Big Fun
    The Slits - Cut
    Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Rust Never Sleeps
    The Undertones - The Undertones
    Desmond Child and Rouge - Desmond Child and Rouge
    Spyro Gyra - Morning Dance
    Roger Voudouris - Radio Dream
    Sister Sledge - We Are Family
    Ian Matthews - Stealin' Home
    Taana Gardner - Taana Gardner
    Eddy Grant - Walking on Sunshine
    Alice Cooper - From the Inside
    The Raincoats - The Raincoats
    Kool & the Gang - Ladies Night

George and phaynes12 like this.
  6. tomdelonge

Trusted

I listened to Patti Smith’s Wave 1.25 times today. I think I’d only previously heard the Byrds cover, but the rest is very memorable. “Frederick” is the highlight and a new fave. Great lyrics, really really great Todd Rundgren production…I think the mood of the album is a little too dour for me, but it’s colorful world. Probably not as good as Easter

phaynes12 and cshadows2887 like this.
  7. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

her first handful of albums all rule

8. phaynes12

commodores album is great. a+. what the hell.

cshadows2887 and The Lucky Moose like this.
  9. Marx&Recreation Aug 27, 2021
    (Last edited: Aug 27, 2021)
    Marx&Recreation

Trusted

How insulting; disco artists famously covered the full breadth of the human experience:
    -Dancing
    -Being in and/or making love
    -Drugs
    -Working at a car wash

10. cshadows2887

Fuck yes. One of my all time favorite finds.

Found it for 70 cents in a discount bin at Tunes in Jersey back when it was not only out of print on CD, but not streaming anywhere and it just blew me the fuck away

The Lucky Moose and phaynes12 like this.
  11. cshadows2887

Apropos of earlier conversation in these threads, Night Owl by Gerry Rafferty is fuckin’ fantastic. One of the best albums I’ve discovered in this chronological journey.

12. tomdelonge

Trusted

cool hearing McCartney and others talk about the sex pistols

phaynes12 and cshadows2887 like this.
  13. tomdelonge

Trusted

Machine Gun Ettiquette doesn’t have “Neat Neat Neat” and “New Rose” but it’s the best Damned album and one of the best albums ever

phaynes12 likes this.
  14. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Oh shit, I guess I'd better get a vote in here. Meant to do some listening this week to fill in what is, on the whole, a thinner year for me, but my schedule was pretty nuts this week and I didn't end up having that time, so here goes.

1. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Damn the Torpedoes
    2. Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
    3. Elvis Costello - Armed Forces

Torpedoes
    is the first Tom Petty masterpiece. Just a bucket of iconic hits. The singles overshadow the best a bit (probably the reason that it's my third favorite Petty record rather than my first), but those singles are just so damn good that it's hard to judge the album too much for not maintaining quite that level of perfection throughout. And then you still have songs like "Louisiana Rain" and "Century City," which are fantastically satisfying in their own right. I think I can probably count on one hand the openers that rip harder than "Refugee."

Tusk took me a long time to appreciate, and I still find it pretty jarring when I listen to it after Rumours. But the advocacy @cshadows2887 has shown for this album over the years has made me appreciate its darker, weirder aspects. Almost hard to believe this thing even exists, which makes it that much more fascinating to listen to now.

Armed Forces was an #MWE album for me this year, and I just fell in love with how it paired pretty dark, cynical subject matter with extremely catchy hooks. Here's what I said about it then:

George and cshadows2887 like this.
  15. phaynes12

elvis rules. i like the elephant album

16. tomdelonge

Trusted

Elvis good

Armed Forces good

maybe not quite as good as the albums immediately before and after

Accidents Will Happen keeps getting better

Always loved this song from the Rhino Disc 2 also

Craig Manning likes this.
  17. cshadows2887

I wish Made of Chalk wasn’t nuked so I could link to the thousands of words I wrote on Tusk and made @Craig Manning and others slog through reading.

Craig Manning and phaynes12 like this.
  18. Gianni

Trusted

Aghhh the weeks go by so fast these days!! Will make top 10 tomorrow - but for voting sake-

1. The Clash - London Calling
    2. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Damn the Torpedoes
    3. XTC - Drums & Wires

cshadows2887 and Craig Manning like this.
  19. tomdelonge

Trusted

1. The Clash - London Calling
    2. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Damn The Torpedoes
    3. Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady

3 is a coin toss between that one and…

Armed Forces
    Regatta de Blanc
    Dream Police
    Rust Never Sleeps
    Live Rust
    Setting Sons
    Machine Gun Ettiquette
    Nervous Breakdown

20. phaynes12

the clash's london calling wins with 19, deservedly so. joy division's unknown pleasures was in second with 13 and talking heads' fear of music and michael jackson's off the wall tied with 9 each.

George likes this.
  21. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Didn't vote this week because I didn't really know enough albums already or do enough listening to form an opinion on much else.

I do enjoy Eat to the Beat - Blondie continuing to do what they do so good. But I don't love it as much as Parallel Lines, and I enjoy how they switch it up for Autoamerican, so I kind of forget about this one sometimes. I enjoy Three Imaginary Boys as a debut - it's got nothing on what will soon come from the Cure, but it's a fun enough album with some great moments. Unknown Pleasures, Lodger, and London Calling are both albums I've listened to and really liked, but I need to spend more time with.

Back to the Egg is a good send off for Wings, even if it ends up a little bit forgettable. It's probably for the best they hung it up, because I'm not sure we would've gotten much more out of them as a band. I really like Paul's solo output the first half of the 80s, so I'm glad he went that direction.

The Wall, Tusk, and Damn the Torpedoes all have a handful of songs that I really love, but I need to spend more time with all of them as complete albums.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  22. phaynes12

23. tomdelonge

Trusted

This is amazing