Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1978 in film.

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, May 28, 2021.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

Top ten box-office films of 1978:

1. Superman
    2. Grease
    3. Animal House
    4. Every Which Way But Loose
    5. Heaven Can Wait
    6. Hooper
    7. Jaws 2
    8. Up in Smoke
    9. Revenge of the Pink Panther
    10. The Deer Hunter

What are your top three films for 1978? We will keep a running tally and eventually have some sort of bracket. For me it would be:

1. Days of Heaven
    2. The Deer Hunter
    3. Killer of Sheep

What are some of the forgotten gems from the year? What is overrated? What did you discover at a young age and what did you discover later?

YEARS IN FILM • forum.chorus.fm

2. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

1. The Deer Hunter
    2. Autumn Sonata
    3. The 36th Chamber of Shaolin

3. Morrissey

Trusted

Days of Heaven was an easy number one for me. Badlands is great but Days of Heaven is where Terrence Malick really took off into the next level of filmmaking. The Deer Hunter is still tragic. I thought about Dawn of the Dead for the third pick, but Killer of Sheep is a great small film that didn't receive a release for thirty years because of music rights nonsense.

4. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Days of Heaven, Halloween and Dawn of the Dead were all close runners up for me.

Picking between The Deer Hunter and Autumn Sonata was difficult, both fantastic but very different in scope.

5. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

1. Halloween
    2. Dawn of the Dead
    3. Heaven Can Wait

Eventually I need to watch the Deer Hunter seeing as I work in the area it was filmed. There's even a giant mural I drive by all the time.

6. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

1. The Last Waltz
    2. Comes a Horseman
    3. Days of Heaven

Movies I really like:
    Halloween
    Coming Home
    Superman: The Movie
    Interiors
    Dawn of the Dead
    An Unmarried Woman
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    Foul Play

Good ones:
    The Deer Hunter
    The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
    The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith
    Grease
    Midnight Express
    Up in Smoke
    La Cage Aux Folles
    Piranha
    Hooper
    The Five Venoms
    The Buddy Holly Story
    Killer of Sheep
    Every Which Way But Loose

Solid/fine:
    Blue Collar
    Same Time Next Year
    Revenge of the Pink Panther
    California Suite
    The Tree of Wooden Clogs
    Ice Castles
    Heaven Can Wait
    The Boys from Brazil
    The Wiz

Not a fan:
    Death on the Nile
    The Swarm

secretsociety92 likes this.
  7. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

1. Killer of Sheep
    2. Days of Heaven
    3. Blue Collar

love Superman, the Driver, Grease, Dawn of the Dead, and Deer Hunter as well. But Killer of Sheep is an essential document, Terrence Malick is Terrence Malick, and Blue Collar is a gritty heartbreaker that speaks well to my pro-Union, metro Detroit background. Paul Schrader pretty much nailed that one.

8. cshadows2887

I was stunned how good Richard Prior is in that one

Nathan likes this.
  9. George

Trusted Prestigious

1. Autumn Sonata
    2. The Deer Hunter
    3. Snake in the Eagle's Shadow

Autumn Sonata might well contain one of my favourite performances in all of cinema from Liv Ullmann, with the scene where she confronts her mother, I think she's absolutely wonderful. I also like how Bergman looks at being good, not great, with the mother's ability as a concert pianist overshadowing her daughter.

I haven't seen The Deer Hunter since I was about 16, when I watched it lots and loved it. Would be keen to revisit this, and see what my feelings are now, but I thought it was phenomenal half a lifetime ago.

A Snake in the Eagle's Shadow is one the two breakthrough Jackie Chan films that he did with director Yuen Woo-ping, along with Drunken Master. What I love about this, is how they blend comedy with martial arts and find ways to make scenes that aren't kung fu, feel like kung fu, like this.

There's two great Sammo Hung films from this year too, Warriors Two and the very silly Enter the Fat Dragon. There's also the iconic 36th Chambers of Shaolin as well. We're about to start a bit of a golden age of HK cinema here, so plenty of great stuff coming up.

Other honourable mentions include The Boys from Brazil, Days of Heaven and Long Weekend. This year also has the extremely difficult to watch I Spit on Your Grave, which would influence a lot of other films within that exploitation / grindhouse / B-movie / Video Nasty realm.

Nathan and SpyKi like this.
  10. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

1. Halloween
    2. Grease
    3. Days of Heaven

Halloween is a perfect film. Linda Manz is a great actress. More people should check out Out of the Blue if they haven't. I saw it for the first time this year.

Grease 2 might have better songs than Grease. I had the first one's soundtrack as a child but watched the 2nd one more.

11. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

1. Days of Heaven
    2. The Deer Hunter
    3. Halloween

12. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Been rather torn between my head and my heart over this year to be honest because while my head says go with the likes of Blue Collar and Halloween since the former aligns with my politics and the latter is highly influential but ultimately I think my heart wins out with the following -

1. The Driver
    2. Dawn of the Dead
    3. Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Other favorites from the year that I haven't mentioned are; The Inglorious Bastards, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Watership Down, Death on the Nile, Superman, The Fury, Straight Time, Revenge of the Pink Panther, Jaws 2, The First Great Train Robbery, and Force 10 from Navarone.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  13. username

hey you lil piss baby

1. Les Rendez-vous d’Anna
    2. Days of Heaven
    3. The Tree of Wooden Clogs

14. cshadows2887

It’s probably because of how much I liked the book but I could NOT get down with Death on the Nile

15. tomdelonge

Trusted

Sup with the abundance of rock n roll movies in 1978?

Renaldo And Clara
    The Wiz
    Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
    Rockers
    The Buddy Holly Story
    The Last Waltz
    I Wanna Hold Your Hand
    FM
    Just A Gigolo

16. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

That is understandable but as someone with zero connection to the book and living in a country that has those types of films ingrained in our popular culture I just really enjoy them.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  17. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

1. Straight Time
    2. Dawn of the Dead
    3. Days of Heaven

18. Victor Eremita May 29, 2021
    (Last edited: May 30, 2021)
    Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

1. Days of Heaven
    2. The Deer Hunter
    3. Killer of Sheep

I really need to see Blue Collar, but this is a solid top 3. Nice to see Malick enter the chat.

19. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

1. The Deer Hunter
    2. Halloween
    3. The Last Waltz

20. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Days of Heaven (Terrence Malick)
    Superman: The Movie (Richard Donner)
    Jubilee (Derek Jarman)

21. Morrissey

Trusted

Days of Heaven wins it with 19 votes. The Deer Hunter was in second place with 14 votes. Days of Heaven will move on to the bracket.

22. radiodead

Trusted

Just watched I Spit in Your Grave. What trash.