Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1977 in music. • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by phaynes12, Aug 9, 2021.

1. tomdelonge

Trusted

Young, Loud and Snotty would be an amazing EP

Totally forgot about this in 74 or 75 whenever they were around but Rocket From The Tombs (membs of Dead Boys and Pere Ubu + Peter Laughner not quite of Television) is a must:

2. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Going with:

1. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    2. Steely Dan - Aja
    3. Billy Joel - The Stranger

3. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Great list. Just FYI Foreign Affairs is probably the worst Waits album, although Burma-Shave is a good song.

4. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i know the opening track but that's it. description sounds like exactly what I want right now. gonna listen tomorrow.

George likes this.
  5. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

So far listened to:

The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Street Survivors
    John Williams - Star Wars Original Soundtrack
    Pete Townshend and Ronnie Lane - Rough Mix
    Ornette Coleman - Dancing in Your Head
    The Persuasions - Chirpin'
    Outlaws - Hurry Sundown

6. tomdelonge

Trusted

Rough Mix is a cool record. Great guitarin’

7. cshadows2887

Yeah he’s such a perfectionist usually that it’s awesome to hear something so relaxed and loose from him

8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

1. Talking Heads - ‘77
    2. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    3. Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue

cshadows2887 likes this.
  9. phaynes12

i think i liked Dead Boys’ album more than @George did but it admittedly never reaches the heights of the first three tracks later on.

funnily enough, was also listening to a live pearl jam album and they did a cover of sonic reducer haha. pretty solid version!

Gianni28, George and cshadows2887 like this.
  10. phaynes12

yeah, the saints’ album is great. messin with the kid is a much more impressive song than i anticipated

cshadows2887 and George like this.
  11. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

1. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    2. Billy Joel - The Stranger
    3. Bob Marley - Exodus
    4. Earth Wind & Fire - All N All
    5. Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols

Albums I listened to for the first time, and could make my list:

Iggy Pop - The Idiot
    Iggy Pop - Lust For Life
    David Bowie - Low
    David Bowie - "Heroes"
    Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True
    Ramones - Leave Home
    Ramones - Rocket To Russia
    Eric Clapton - Slowhand
    Lynryd Skynyrd - Street Survivors
    Pink Floyd - Animals
    Talking Heads - Talking Heads: 77

George and Craig Manning like this.
  12. irthesteve

1977 mix

13. George

Trusted Prestigious

Only realised from this thread that the Bowie album is actually named “Heroes” not Heroes.

cshadows2887 and phaynes12 like this.
  14. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

1. Billy Joel: The Stranger
    2. Fleetwood Mac: Rumours
    3. Talking Heads: Talking Heads 77

I probably heard more Billy Joel growing up than any other individual artist, and when I finally figured out how many of those songs I loved were concentrated on this one album, my mind was blown. Everything that he does so well is executed in the best way he's ever done it. The sentimental ballads, the sprawling stories about everyday life (Scenes From an Italian Restaurant is probably my vote for the most underrated song of all time), and the feel good pop rock tunes. And it's all tied together with the bittersweet undertone that permeates so much of his music. It's either sadness or euphoria, indeed.

There's probably not much I can add about Rumours, and it could just as easily have been my #1 except I'd like to see Billy take a year. But when a song like Silver Springs doesn't even make the official album, you know you've got something special.

The Talking Heads debut is such a good time. It just feels so different from anything else that was happening at the time.

Cuts:
    David Bowie: "Heroes"
    Steely Dan: Aja
    Meat Loaf: Bat Out of Hell
    Blondie: Plastic Letters (might technically be '78, but either way Parallel Lines gets the vote next year)

irthesteve and George like this.
  15. George

Trusted Prestigious

This comment confused me at first, because Silver Springs is on my copy of Rumours that I’ve had in my iTunes for a decade or more. But looking it up and it’s not actually on the actual track list!

Blowing my mind a bit ha, I’ve heard that album 100s of times, but never crossed my mind that wherever I got this copy from wasn’t the legit album!

It’s track 7 to me, after Songbird and before The Chain - can’t imagine listening to the album without it now.

These threads have taught me that my iTunes was / is a right mess.

cshadows2887 and Gianni28 like this.
  16. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Haha ya I believe the story goes that Stevie lobbied for it pretty hard but was outvoted by the rest of the band, but at least it's been corrected. The Apple Music version still has it tacked on to the end, but I kind of like the idea of it going between those two songs. I'll give it a go that way

George likes this.
  17. phaynes12

im kinda shocked exodus has one vote, for third place. i feel like that album was inescapable in college/is considered to be Marley's best

18. irthesteve

Obviously that vote is me, but yeah that album is really great. Sometimes he doesn't get the retrospective love he deserves though for some reason

phaynes12 likes this.
  19. phaynes12

it's, like, super high on the RS list I believe. like 150ish or so. but yeah I get that. i think people think of him as a greatest hits artist for some reason, even though exodus makes up the majority of that haha

irthesteve likes this.
  20. cshadows2887

I think it's the weakest of the 4 or 5 I've heard, though the title track rules, as does "Three Little Birds".

21. Gianni

Trusted

My vote for most underrated gem of '77. And best Blue Oyster Cult song by far, come at me "Dont Fear the Reaper".

tomdelonge likes this.
  22. phaynes12

band is so underrated

23. cshadows2887

I’ve only heard Fire of Unknown Origin from them. Never really knew where to go in their earlier catalog. I’ve heard some good things about Secret Treaties I guess?

24. tomdelonge Aug 12, 2021
    (Last edited: Aug 12, 2021)
    tomdelonge

Trusted

I’d say Agents Of Fortune

Way underrated band with amazing riffs and great lyrics, sometimes by folks like Patti Smith, the sci fi writer Michael Moorcock, Jim Carroll, and Richard Meltzer.

They get filed alongside a lotta the stock 70’s hard rock but there’s a lot more goin on

But they never quite had that one go-to classic record

25. tomdelonge

Trusted

My fave boc song that isn’t Don’t Fear The Reaper or Burnin For You is ETI, which has great sci fi lyrics and killin riff