Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1974 in music. • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by phaynes12, Jul 19, 2021.

1. tomdelonge

Trusted

Love both those albums,

Something There Is About You is an all time
    Bob fave for me, phaser and strats forever.

Y’all die hards should check out the No Other producer Thomas Jefferson Kaye’s stuff. It’s not good, but he’s an interesting guy

2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

gene is one of the most underrated songwriters ever

cshadows2887 likes this.
  3. tomdelonge

Trusted

A tragic figure but not a lotta folks could spin misery like him

phaynes12 likes this.
  4. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Sales pitches for sleepers:

Dan Fogelberg - Souvenirs
    Not even his best album (Nether Lands), nor his most accomplished/impressive (The Innocent Age), but it is the moment he discovered greatness. He incorporates some of the harmonies and sounds of the Eagles country-rock, but in a much more personal and emotionally-resonant way. "Illinois" is a huge favorite of mine with gorgeous suspended harmonies and a gentle loping rhythm that I could listen to 1000 times, but he tries out a lot of different vibes on this and I think he succeeds at them all (even bluegrass). It also closes with arguably his signature song, "There's a Place in the World for a Gambler" which...goosebumps.

Jorge Ben - A Tabua De Esmeralda
    My single favorite album not in the English language. It would have been in my top 3 if I understood Portuguese, hands-down. Most albums I listen to and start picking apart how they're arranged and written, but this one just dazzles me in such a holistic way that it's futile to try and break it down. Seriously, listen to the best work of a genius.

Linda Ronstadt - Heart Like a Wheel
    One of the best interpreters (and song-finders) of the '70s on her best record. She had an incredible knack for breathing new life into vintage songs of multiple genres (rock, country, R&B). Half the tracklist comes from the '50s and '60s, but they never sound like oldies pastiche. Instead she makes them work right alongside contemporary stuff by J.D. Souther and James Taylor. The liner notes are an insane list of celebrity guests and behind-the-scenes session aces, but Andrew Gold in particular really shines in setting up her insane voice. And yeah...WHAT a voice.

Richard and Linda Thompson - I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight
    Their best album was yet to come, but this debut set the bar insanely high. "When I Get to the Border" is joyful and shambling, "The Calvary Cross" is intense and moody, "End of the Rainbow" is absolutely fucking crushing. Thompson isn't always flashy about deploying pyrotechnics, but make no mistake, he's one of the best to have ever picked up a guitar.

tomdelonge and phaynes12 like this.
  5. phaynes12

the cavalry cross is legit a top 50 song ever. maybe top 25.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  6. tomdelonge

Trusted

1. Neil Young - On The Beach
    2. Big Star - Radio City
    3. Joni Mitchell - Court And Spark

Sparks - Kimono My House
    Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
    Lou Reed - Rock N Roll Animal
    Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic

any of those could be the top 3 really

Shout out to Phoebe Snow, I love Harpo’s Blues

cshadows2887 likes this.
  7. tomdelonge

Trusted

And shout out to Grateful Dead - Skeletons In The Closet, that was the first tape I ever had

8. cshadows2887

I was so tempted to put Reed in my 3. What Wagner and Hunter do to polish those songs up to arena size is incredible. That intro to “Sweet Jane” just SOARs

9. phaynes12

i disqualified it for my personal list bc its live, like a dummy.

10. tomdelonge

Trusted

The other live heavy for me this year is Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour ‘74. I don’t think he ever quite had the tunes, but yowwww unreal guitarist

11. tomdelonge

Trusted

This song too

Amazing crazy tangled groove

12. cshadows2887

It’s one of the only live albums I’ve ever heard that I think would contend for a top 3 slot. They do so much to revamp a bunch of the songs

phaynes12 likes this.
  13. George Jul 21, 2021
    (Last edited: Jul 21, 2021)
    George

Trusted Prestigious

Continuing with Dylan, I listened to Before The Flood, which is a double live album that he recorded with The Band, almost entirely compiled from two shows in California in February.

The record is divided into little sections, with the first side being electric Dylan with The Band backing him loudly, the second side is all The Band stuff, which I was less interested in. Third side is half acoustic Dylan and half The Band, and the final side is electric Dylan again.

I don't think Dylan has ever sounded better as a vocalist than this time period, the "thinness" of his voice in the 60s gone, but before he'd develop the raspy style he has now. Here he's sounds powerful and soulful, so this is a phenomenal live collection from him. The setlist is pretty much a Greatest Hits, all people pleasing, no obscure tracks buried in here, or leaning heavily on new material - it's a best of Dylan, though some of them are slightly reinterpreted - like his version of "It's Alright Mama (I'm only Bleeding)”, which he absolutely races through at a breakneck pace.

I could maybe have done with with less of The Band tracks, but when Dylan is behind the mic, he's in incredible form, and probably jumps right up as my favourite of the few Dylan live albums / bootlegs I've heard.

He certainly wasn't this good when I saw him live about a decade ago...

cshadows2887 and irthesteve like this.
  14. phaynes12

i saw him two years ago and it was so much fun

15. cshadows2887

Honestly I went in with no expectations in 2019 seeing him live and he was excellent. He’ll never play the hits or play the versions you know from the records, but he has a killer band and really seemed to love playing music up there

phaynes12 likes this.
  16. phaynes12

17. George

Trusted Prestigious

I saw him in 2009, when I was a new-ish fan, only knew his "classic" stuff, and I found it pretty hard going at times ha. Getting halfway through a track and realising, "Oh, wait is he playing X now?" too.

I'm sure I'd enjoy him more now, but after spending what was probably quite a bit of money to go see him when I was like 17, it wasn't a great experience - but maybe he was just having an off night / I wasn't in the right frame of mind!

Bob Dylan Setlist at Cardiff International Arena, Cardiff

Would like to see him again at some point, before it's too late.

18. phaynes12

oh man, i don’t doubt it, but that’s a great setlist on paper

19. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I went to a fine arts camp the summer of 2007 and Dylan played a show on campus, but tickets were definitely more than I could afford at the time. It was an open-air amphitheater, so I stood outside and listened to the first 3-4 songs. Then a torrential downpour rolled through and I had to run back to my cabin in the absolute driving rain. Wish it hadn't rained that night! I definitely would have listened in for the whole concert.

Bob Dylan Setlist at Kresge Auditorium, Interlochen

20. jdr2187

jdr2187

This was pretty much my exact experience around the same time frame. I remember looking at my gf like 2 minutes into one song and being like "Oh, he's playing Like A Rolling Stone". So I don't think it was necessarily an off night.

21. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

this is so funny, I haven't seen him, but my friend did a few years back and said the EXACT thing about not realizing what song it was til the chorus hit

22. phaynes12

so i guess i really like genesis. lamb lies down... is really special.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  23. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I gotta dive deeper into Genesis at some point, but I know Duke is a cool fucking album

24. George

Trusted Prestigious

It looks like (maybe?) Neil Young’s On The Beach might win this week, which would have been our first yearly winner that I haven’t heard - so I got in there at the last minute and fixed that.

It’s great stuff, as you’d expect from Neil Young really, I knew I’d enjoy it. He’s not an artist that I know particularly well, but everything I’ve heard has been excellent, so well overdue a proper discography dive at some point.

A small note, but I noticed that “Revolution Blues” makes reference to building computers - I wonder if that’s the earliest reference to computers in pop music?

25. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I’m gonna go:
    1. Minnie Riperton: Perfect Angel
    2. Joni Mitchell: Court and Spark
    3. Billy Joel: Streetlight Serenade

Other cuts:
    Bob Dylan: Planet Waves
    ABBA: Waterloo

cshadows2887 likes this.