Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1972 in music. • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by phaynes12, Jun 28, 2021.

1. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

wait what

cshadows2887 likes this.
  2. phaynes12

if heavy metal was born anywhere really, it was on the white album. but, come on, it’s very obviously sabbath and, to a lesser extent, zeppelin.

3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Helter Skelter 4evr

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  4. phaynes12

was thinking more i want you and happiness is a warm gun haha

5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

HELTER
    SKELTER

BABY

(I want you isnt even white album, psh)

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  6. tomdelonge

Trusted

Fanny beat club performance is sick if u havent seen it:

7. George

Trusted Prestigious

There was a documentary about them released a few months ago, which is good timing! Though I’m not sure if it’s widely available just yet.

Fanny: The Right to Rock - Wikipedia

Will try and find time to check this out too if I can.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  8. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I watch this fairly regularly. It's ferocious and really captures an energy (especially from Alice on drums) that studio recordings didn't at the time.

9. phaynes12

it is if i say it is

irthesteve likes this.
  10. cshadows2887

I think Glover's gallop and Gillan's scream had a much more immediate influence, personally. All the dark slow sludge stuff Sabbath inspired took longer to germanate.

11. cshadows2887

By the way, I actually think Fanny's last album with the original lineup, the Todd Rundgren-produced Mother's Pride is their best. But since Fanny Hill is the consensus pick for their strongest AND the most indicative of their usual sound, it seemed like the better one to cash in my chips on getting people to listen to.

12. George

Trusted Prestigious

Checked out Miles Davis' On The Corner, which ended up being his last studio record for nearly a decade, releasing live material after this mostly.

It's a pretty interesting listen, really stretching what you can consider jazz music. There's huge amount of funk to this, sounding like James Brown instrumental breaks in parts, as well as adding an Indian sitar sound buried in some tracks here, and even what feels like early experiments with electronica here also. Miles recorded his trumpet with a Wah-Wah pedal here, as did bassist Michael Henderson which is pretty cool, and it sounds wonderfully strange in the best way here.

There is a lot going on here, so it's the sort of thing that I feel would need dozens of listens to dig through and get to grips with this. There are long bits where Miles isn't anywhere to be heard (or I don't think he is anyway), with it being bass and drum heavy.

I can see why this was panned upon release, but I can also see why it was re-appraised later. It's certainly an extremely interesting listen.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  13. PauLo

43% Burnt

Personally, I think On The Corner is better than Bitches Brew. And I love Bitches Brew.

14. tomdelonge

Trusted

love On The Corner. It’s like hot concrete

15. George

Trusted Prestigious

Listened to Crossings by Herbie Hancock, which has three pieces, the first of which is 25 minutes, and the other two being a little shorter. We have Hancock definitely experimenting with funk and fusion, like Miles and others were also doing in the early 70s, with plenty of electronic and early synthesisers on this record. It's a really interesting record, and Hancock and his band manage to blend the disparate influences and styles here into something cogent and cohesive.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  16. cshadows2887

Joe South - Drowning in the Sea of Love
    The production by Gamble and Huff is characteristically excellent. Pure Philly soul. And there are a couple really excellent songs, particularly the hit title track. But overall the album just didn’t quite get over for me. His voice isn’t entirely up my alley, nor is it entirely suited to lush soul music.

phaynes12 likes this.
  17. stars143

Trusted

1. David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
    2. Neil Young - Harvest
    3. Lou Reed - Transformer

cshadows2887 and phaynes12 like this.
  18. phaynes12

haven’t gotten to as much this week with the holiday but i particularly enjoyed foxtrot. the gabriel i’ve heard has been hit or miss but this worked for me.

Blainer93 and cshadows2887 like this.
  19. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

Foxtrot or Nursery Chryme are my favs currently

phaynes12 likes this.
  20. cshadows2887

I like The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway quite a bit but both Genesis and Gabriel were better after splitting up

21. Gianni Jul 4, 2021
    (Last edited: Jul 13, 2021)
    Gianni

Trusted

Have to at least get my votes in - I will update this with my honorable mentions later when I have more time. Can't believe how fast this week got away from me!

1. David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
    2. Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill
    3. Todd Rundgren - Something / Anything?

Honorable Mention / The Rest:
    The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street
    Big Star - #1 Record
    Neil Young - Harvest
    The Doobie Brother - Toulouse Street
    Deep Purple - Machine Head
    Eagles - Eagles
    Elton John - Honky Chateau
    Nick Drake - Pink Moon
    Paul Simon - Paul Simon
    Bread - Baby I'm A Want You
    Raspberries - Raspberries
    Roxy Music - Roxy Music
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Trilogy
    America - America

cshadows2887 and phaynes12 like this.
  22. tomdelonge

Trusted

1. Paul Simon - Paul Simon
    2. Big Star - #1 Record
    3. The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  23. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Everyone has blind spots and obviously no one can hear everything but I'm really slamming my head against the wall over somehow not getting to that Big Star record until right now

24. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I had this thought a couple years ago when I did that one for MWE.

25. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Every song has hit me like a bowling ball. And the weirdest thing is that I'm fairly familiar with the history of the band. I have no clue how I swerved around listening to them for so long

Craig Manning and tomdelonge like this.