Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1970 in music. • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by phaynes12, Jun 14, 2021.

1. George

Trusted Prestigious

Listened to Hello, I’m Johnny Cash - I’ve barely heard any of Cash’s classic studio records, I usually listen to his Folsom Prison record or his late career American albums.

I enjoyed this though - there’s nothing truly remarkable on here, he’s more consistent than spectacular really, though obviously there’s lots I haven’t heard. There’s a real casualness to this at times which is really appealing, with Cash more speaking than singing, or humming his way through tracks with occasional “do-do-dos” in place of lyrics.

We have a couple of tracks where he duets with June, which is always excellent.

phaynes12 likes this.
  2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

1. Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection
    2. Derek & The Dominos - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs
    3. Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

The toughest cuts:
    George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
    James Taylor - Sweet Baby James
    Van Morrison - Moondance

Just heard this last week, but it is fucking lit:
    CCR - Cosmo's Factory

As I said before, a really stacked year! I went back and forth on which albums I wanted in slots 2 and 3.

Tumbleweed Connection is my favorite Elton album. The widescreen Americana aesthetic fits him so well, and results in some of his best songs ("My Father's Gun," "Come Down in Time," "Amoreena," "Ballad of a Well Known Gun," "Love Song") ever. A few years ago, when that terrific country tribute album to Elton came out, it got me thinking about how he's kind of a stealth influence on a lot of modern artists in that genre. That influence probably starts with this album.

Layla is such a potent encapsulation of yearning, infatuation, love, and loneliness. I sometimes wish it was a tad shorter, but the highlights are some of the greatest songs ever written. I probably don't need to mention the title track (but man, that coda!) or "Bell Bottom Blues," but the bookends, "I Looked Away" and "Thorn Tree in the Garden," are just as perfect.

Bridge Over Troubled Water is just one of the greatest pop albums ever made. It's one of those records where it's hard to believe the most famous songs haven't always been here. The title track feels as timeless as any old folk song.

George, phaynes12 and cshadows2887 like this.
  3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

genuinely shocked by the #1! wow!!

Craig Manning likes this.
  4. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

The Guess Who - American Woman
    Randy Bachman is a cool guitarist and there are three killer hits. The second side lags a bit and the production is a little small, but worth the spin

The Guess Who - Share the Land
    Shockingly better than its predecessor. The two guitarists who replaced Bachman aren’t on his level, but they’re a little more versatile (some lovely slide guitar) but the twin guitar attack adds a lot of the body that’s missing on American Woman. There’s also more variety in the sound and the production leveled way up. Really good stuff

Fanny - Fanny
    Probably the least exceptional of the four albums with their real lineup, but it still rocks the fuck out. Nickey Barclay drives this album more than any of their others which comes with benefits (ferocity) and drawbacks (less variety). Their incredible way with covers started from the top because their version of “Badge” tops Cream for my money. Also, the closer is on the short list of the hardest they ever rocked, which is saying something.

The Friends of Distinction - Real Friends
    What an awesome, pleasant surprise. The vocal arrangements are just stunning, and the arrangements are almost impossibly lush. It was definitely intended for AM radio so there’s not a lot of edge or bottom end, but who cares when a record full of sunshine sounds like this.

Also got me thinking about the kinds of baked-in racism you don’t always think about. Like how it seems like black pop groups didn’t get the same opportunities to land a follow up hit or two, compared to white counterparts. The artists who did were more soul (Aretha and anyone on Motown) and had legs on black radio. But black pop artists like The Five Stairsteps, Chairmen of the Board, Friends of Distinction, Pacific Gas and Electric seemed destined to status as one hit wonders and novelties.

tomdelonge likes this.
  5. Craig Manning

Had it for MWE a few years back and just fell in love with it.

phaynes12 and cshadows2887 like this.
  6. phaynes12

he’s always been someone whose music i love as a whole but doesn’t have one standout album that i love particularly all that much

7. cshadows2887

Honky Chateau is pretty flawless, imo

phaynes12 likes this.
  8. Craig Manning

I think this one spoke to me because of how Americana it is. I also really adore Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, though.

phaynes12 and cshadows2887 like this.
  9. cshadows2887

I love that you properly listed a bunch of amazing songs, and left out the absolute barnburner closer. Just too many good songs on that one

10. Craig Manning

At some point, you're just listing the whole album! Another amazing song, though.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  11. George

Trusted Prestigious

I listened to Cat Stevens' Tea for the Tillerman, which was really wonderful. I don't think I've heard a Cat Stevens album before, though I do know a handful of songs.

This was beautiful stuff though, just simple, extremely well written folk music, with a great ear for pop hooks and structures. Reminds me a lot of Elliott Smith in that way perhaps - clearly an incredibly talented songwriter. "Father and Son", which a known staple, is a really moving and tenderly penned track that doesn't lose any of its power even after hearing it hundreds of times.

Loved this.

12. tomdelonge

Trusted

That’s probably his best album, but the 2 after have some amazing amazing songs too, especialy Teaser and The Firecat.

And I particularly love Angelsea on Catch Bull At Four. I’m very fond of acoustic guitars and synth together.

My favorite Cat Stevens album tho is Matthew And Son, which isn’t anything like the rest of his albums but its world is joyous

George likes this.
  13. tomdelonge

Trusted

This year is wild

1. Bob Dylan - New Morning
    2. The Beatles - Let It Be
    3. Neil Young - After The Goldrush

And tied for 3rd…

Kinks - Lola
    Velvet Underground - Loaded
    Stooges - Fun House
    S&G - Bridge Over Troubled Water
    The Who - Live At Leeds
    The Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out
    Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
    Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Sings Newman
    Curtis Mayfield - Curtis
    Beach Boys - Sunflower
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    Grateful Dead - American Beauty
    Derek Clapton - Layla
    Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman
    John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band

And some other monsters of rock:

Joni Mitchell - Ladies Of The Canyon
    Jimi Hendrix - Band Of Gypsys
    Alice Cooper - Easy Action
    Bob Dylan - Selfie
    Grateful Dead - Workingman’s Dead
    Badfinger - No Dice
    Jefferson Starship - Blows Against The Empire
    The Pretty Things - Parachute

I recall the album being boring, but “Make It With You” by Bread is an all time fave. Kinda feel the same about Sweet Baby James; title track and Fire and Rain are mega, the rest is kinda whatever.

Kinda lukewarm on 12 Songs by Randy Newman, but i went thru a major phase with this masterpiece in February:

Gianni28 likes this.
  14. George

Trusted Prestigious

I listened to The Rolling Stones' Get Yer Ya-Yas Out! partly because I don't think I've heard a live Stones record, and partly because that's just an absolutely absurd title and album cover.

It's pretty solid, it's a good recording and the band are tight and well rehearsed. Jagger sounds great, and the set list contains some classics including Jumping Jack Flash, Sympathy for the Devil & Street Fighting Man amongst others.

I enjoyed it, but as a fairly casual Stones fan, I didn't feel it was a particularly essential live recording, but the sound quality is great, and it's certainly worth at least one listen, to hear some great performances of some classic songs.

cshadows2887 and phaynes12 like this.
  15. George

Trusted Prestigious

I listened to Alice Coltrane’s Journey in Satchidananda. I didn’t know of her beforehand, but obviously recognised the surname.

It’s trippy, very psychedelic jazz, clearly taking a big influence from Indian instrumentation and spiritual sounds which were relatively popular at this time. It’s experimental but not completely out of the box like someone like Sun Ra felt to me.

It did blend a little into the background at times, and I don’t have any specific stand out songs or moments - but it’s an interesting listen that I imagine might be even better in certain circumstances.

16. phaynes12

she's flying lotus' great-aunt

George and cshadows2887 like this.
  17. Gianni

Trusted

Y’all , many people said it but this year IS wild. I’m so bummed that it’s already Wednesday evening and I’ve barely spent any time listening to music. Been that kind of work week.

I have glanced at my list quite a few times tho and hope to post tomorrow. Trying to listen to a few Classics I haven’t heard in full before tonight, including the Cat Stevens record , Elton John, and Sabbath.

Black Sabbath particularly is one even I’m amazed I never have gotten fully into, considering most “rock” fans have a Sabbath phase in high school. But hey I could still change my mind.

My Dad has been praising Cat Stevens/Yusuf for my whole life but I’ve only ever known the singles.

18. cshadows2887

I will not stand for this slander of “Country Road!” To arms!

19. cshadows2887

Sales pitches for a few I feel might slide under the radar:

Smokey Robinson and The Miracles - What Love Has...Joined Together
    One of the most romantic albums ever made. If you asked me what album best defines the words “lush” and “blissful” this might be the first one I’d think of. It’s also a big win if you like extended grooves or reimaginings of songs you know.

The Moody Blues - A Question of Balance
    Their best. Every song is killer and the production is insanely crisp. Four writers peaking.

Stephen Stills - Stephen Stills
    Honestly so good song-for-song that I feel like it emptied his tank for most of the rest of his career. The list of players reads like a Hall of Fame induction (Hendrix, Clapton, Ringo, Booker T. Jones, Crosby, Nash, John Sebastian, Johnny Barbata, Mama Cass) and it has one of the best opening and closing pairs of the decade.

Willie Colon - Cosa Nuestra
    I don’t know shit about Latin music or salsa as a subgenre, but this album is incredible. It just screams New York City in an incredible, vibrant way. I haven’t heard a release from Fania Records I haven’t loved, but this is the best so far.

Sammy Davis, Jr. - Something for Everyone
    Kind of an oddity/curiosity. Signed a one-off album deal with Motown, was given a fistful of contemporary tunes, and was backed by the Funk Brothers. It’s pretty damn unique. There’s a really funky version of “Wichita Lineman” in particular

Michael Nesmith and the First National Band - Magnetic South
    Very unheralded pioneering album in country rock from a guy who never got his due as a writer because he was a Monkee

Kenny Rogers and the First Edition - Tell It All, Brother
    I’ve never been big on any solo Kenny stuff I’ve heard, but this album really made the case for me of why he was successful. The title track and “Heed the Call” are killers

George and phaynes12 like this.
  20. Gianni

Trusted

1. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III
    2. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Deja Vu
    3. The Beatles - Let It Be

Honorable Mentions:
    Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory
    Neil Young - After The Gold Rush
    Creedence Clearwater Revival - Pendulum
    David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World
    Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman
    The Doors - Morrison Hotel
    The Guess Who - American Woman
    The Kinks - Lola Vs. Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part 1
    Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
    Nick Drake - Bryter Later
    Paul McCartney - McCartney
    Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
    Todd Rungren - Runt
    The Velvet Underground - Loaded
    The Who - Live at Leeds

Also cannot believe how many albums there are by iconic artists this year where I know several songs but not the full album. Going to try to enjoy 3-5 of the following this weekend, but have tons more bookmarked:
    The Band - Stage Fright
    The Beach Boys - Sunflower
    Black Sabbath - S/T
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    Chicago - Chicago II
    Derek & The Dominos - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs
    Elton John - S/T
    Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection
    Emerson, Lake, & Palmer - S/T
    Free - Fire and Water
    Genesis - Trespass
    Grand Funk Railroad - Closer To Home
    Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead
    Grateful Dead - American Beauty
    James Taylor - Sweet Baby James
    John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band
    Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
    Poco - S/T
    Santana - Abraxas
    Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - What Love Has...Joined Together
    Stephen Stills - S/T
    The Stooges - Funhouse
    Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die
    Van Morrison - Moondance
    ZZ Top - First Album

cshadows2887 likes this.
  21. cshadows2887 Jun 18, 2021
    (Last edited: Jun 18, 2021)
    cshadows2887

Free - Fire and Water
    All hail Paul Kossoff. What a guitar player. Usually power trios (I know there are 4 but only 3 play) can sound a little thin to me but not these guys. The B side of the record is particularly phenomenal. Great stuff.

Michael Chapman - Fully Qualified Survivor
    This really wowed me. Searching, mystic folk from a master guitarist. Apparently the album that got Mick Robson his Bowie gig. Plus, I’d follow Paul Buckmaster anywhere. I think a lot of people in the thread would love this.

Joe Cocker - Mad Dogs and Englishmen
    I’m a sucker for Joe Cocker anyway, but this is a great document. One of the greatest rock interpreters leading an...R&B/revival big band? Something like that. “Delta Lady” is just massive in this performance.

Thunderclap Newman - Hollywood Dream
    “Something in the Air” is one of the great singles of the era, but this isn’t quite the great lost classic I’ve seen it hyped as. You can definitely hear Townshend’s influence, which is nice. But it falls a little short on memorable songs. I’d come back to it in the future though

phaynes12 likes this.
  22. phaynes12

oh i wept a+++++

23. cshadows2887

Agreed. And then “Don’t Say You Love Me” into “All Right Now”? What an embarrassment of riches

phaynes12 likes this.
  24. cshadows2887

Assuming another ballot doesn’t come in this weekend, looks like Pat might JUST get his wish for a streak-breaker

phaynes12 likes this.
  25. phaynes12

only three in double digits that are all very close and one right below double digits. it'll be interesting.