Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1967 in film.

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

Top ten box-office films of 1967:

1. The Graduate
    2. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
    3. Bonnie and Clyde
    4. The Dirty Dozen
    5. Valley of the Dolls
    6. To Sir, With Love
    7. You Only Live Twice
    8. Thoroughly Modern Millie
    9. The Jungle Book
    10. Camelot

What are your top three films for 1967? We will keep a running tally and eventually have some sort of bracket. For me it would be:

1. Weekend
    2. Mouchette
    3. The Graduate

What are some of the forgotten gems from the year? What is overrated? What did you discover at a young age and what did you discover later?

YEARS IN FILM • forum.chorus.fm

2. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

1. Weekend
    2. The Graduate
    3. Reflections in a Golden Eye

tough to leave off Rochefort, and Whose That Knocking at My Door is a strong debut

3. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

1. The Jungle Book
    2. In the Heat of the Night
    3. The Young Girls of Rochefort

Almost picked ‘em:
    Playtime
    The Producers
    Cool Hand Luke
    Wait Until Dark
    Fitzwilly

Matthewconte likes this.
  4. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

1. The Graduate
    2. The Dirty Dozen
    3. Cool Hand Luke

5. Fronnyfron

Woke Up Right Handed Prestigious

1. Playtime
    2. Le Samouraï
    3. Weekend

6. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

1. Belle de Jour
    2. The Graduate
    3. Samurai Rebellion

Also had a few more I wanted to watch before we got to this thread so I might watch them over the next couple of days if I get time.

7. George

Trusted Prestigious

1. The Graduate
    2. Dragon Inn
    3. La Collectionneuse

I saw The Graduate in a cinema, for what I suppose would have been it's 50th anniversary, and it was so much funnier watching it in a crowd than the time I'd seen it before, on my own. The power of the collective for humour I think is really important.

Dragon Inn is one of King Hu's absolutely formally perfect and massively influential wuxia films - a beautiful watch, and one that I would also love to watch on film one day.

Lots of great options for the third spot (Le Samouraï, Belle de Jour, The Affair, The Fearless Vampire Killers), but I went with Eric Rohmer's La Collectionneuse, which is a classic Rohmer film about a couple of pathetic ego-driven men, relaxing in a chateau, threatened by the arrival of a woman who has no interest in them.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  8. username

hey you lil piss baby

1. The Young Girls of Rochefort
    2. La Chinoise
    3. Marketa Lazarova

Think this was the toughest year to narrow dows yet. Could have easily included The Fireman's Ball (one of the funniest movies ever), Weekend, Belle du Jour, or Playtime.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  9. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Just want to recommend reading Mark Harris’s book Pictures of a Revolution. He covers the making of the five films nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars from 1967. Four of the movies hinted at the New Hollywood movement of the 70’s and the fifth was a last grasp of the Golden Age.

10. stars143

Trusted

1. The Graduate
    2. Cool Hand Luke
    3. Don't Look Back

cshadows2887 likes this.
  11. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Second the Pictures at a Revolution recommendation. The death of the Code/birth of New Hollywood is a subject I never get tired of learning and talking about. So infuriating but fascinating.

This year is a tough one for me to rank. The Graduate should be my number one by a wide margin, but ever since everything came out about Dustin Hoffman I haven’t been able to revisit it personally or recommend it without major qualifiers. It is probably the single most important movie for getting me into them though and was to default answer for favorite film for years. I watched it at around 13 and it was the first time I ever realized exactly what goes into making a film as art or how every aspect of the process plays into the end product. The soundtrack and editing completely blew me away, plus it had that incredible mix of hilarity and complete heartbreak/hopelessness.

How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying is another of my favorite musical comedies and one of my biggest comfort movies. Robert Morse is absolutely adorable and the whole thing is so bright and funny and endlessly quotable. A lot of the ideas about climbing the corporate ladder and office culture are also timeless, unfortunately.

Not sure what should be the third spot, there are tons of perfect options but nothing immediately jumps to mind over everything else. Lots of overlap on what has already been mentioned in the thread, it’s all worth seeking out.

Ulysses and I’ll Never Forget What’s ‘Isname both pushed the envelope for English language censorship along with the massive ones in the US. The Code really got hit from all sides all over the world and had basically lost all credibility and influence by this point. It’s such a shame that now the MPAA has circled around to become what it was created to stop, but the period we’re getting into for filmmaking freedom was incredible.

stars143 likes this.
  12. Morrissey

Trusted

So is The Graduate your first pick and How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying your second pick? I couldn't figure out what was supposed to be your third pick last time.

13. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, those are the only two I can place easily for what they mean to me. It’s fine to leave me off any of the counts too, I’m more interested in the general discussion than any brackets. I didn’t have a specific third one listed for 1966 because of that.

14. Morrissey

Trusted

One of the biggest surprises since starting this retrospective is how many of the all-time classic films were also financially successful. Obviously we are not at 1975 yet and the birth of the blockbuster, but it is still nice to see general audiences support bold and daring work. Sometimes I think it is just rose-colored glasses when we talk about the past, but they really did tend to support interesting films. Obviously they were not going to sit through Tarkovsky or something like that, but La Dolce Vita was one of the ten most successful films of its year.

CarpetElf and phaynes12 like this.
  15. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

That’s one of the things I love most about this era. It was a wonderful time where the most important artistically are also so often the most important culturally, and even people who would not normally claim to be into film saw and loved those at the time.

CarpetElf likes this.
  16. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Admittedly not seen all that much from this year, certainly not as many greats as I would like but still satisfied with these three.

1. In the Heat of the Night
    2. Wait Until Dark
    3. The Dirty Dozen

cshadows2887 likes this.
  17. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

That jumpscare in Wait Until Dark is an all timer.

secretsociety92 and cshadows2887 like this.
  18. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

1. The Graduate
    2. Cool Hand Luke
    3. Weekend

19. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

It even continued post Star Wars and Jaws for a bit. An argument can be had about their quality, but Kramer vs Kramer, Ordinary People, etc., were acclaimed dramas for adults that made legitimate money.

It really seems like the 80s where that died.

20. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Definitely the hardest year for me so far. Hurts to leave off The Graduate and The Producers and Le Samourai.

1. Titicut Follies
    2. The Young Girls of Rochefort
    3. The Jungle Book

cshadows2887 likes this.
  21. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Imagine if Marriage Story was the highest grossing film of 2019.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  22. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

an ideal world

23. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

If The Graduate is on, Im watching it. Period. End of story. Love it.

24. Morrissey

Trusted

The Graduate takes it with 20 votes. Nothing else came close. The Graduate will move on to the bracket.

phaynes12 likes this.
  25. George

Trusted Prestigious

Just watched A Colt is my Passport from this year, this morning and thought it was fantastic. An economical and tight yakuza film with huge noir and spaghetti western influences (there's even a clear knock-off Morricone score). It's a classic tale of a hit gone wrong, leading to some double crossings, and then a brilliant showdown at the end.

Under 90 minutes, continually gripping and an excellent piece of genre cinema. Would recommend - very good fun to be had here!