Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1961 in music. • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by phaynes12, Apr 18, 2021.

1. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Last '61 listen before we change years:

Jimmy Smith's Midnight Special is pretty wonderful. He really finds the sweet spot between jazz and blues and Stanley Turrentine's sax work is just awesome.

2. stars143

Trusted

1. Aretha Franklin - Aretha: With the Ray Bryant Combo
    2. Patsy Cline - Showcase
    3. The Shadows - The Shadows

There's a ton I haven't heard from this year and my picks feel a bit random.

phaynes12, George and cshadows2887 like this.
  3. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I'll have to do some listening to make a proper top 3, since I still don't know too much from this year. But Ben E. King's Spanish Harlem is an excellent album and my current pick for the best of 1961.

I believe it's also the year he released Stand by Me, which is of course pretty significant.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  4. cshadows2887

I considered that one too. It’s an excellent album

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  5. George

Trusted Prestigious

Listened to Aretha Franklin’s debut album from 1961 today; Aretha in Person with the Ray Bryant Combo.

Released when she was just 18, and really an absolute perfect showreel for how talented a singer she was - not a perfect album, and the material doesn’t fully work for her all of the time, but what a talent.

More uptempo R’n’B stuff is when the album is stronger for me, and when it comes closer to Aretha at her best. The more mid tempo jazzy stuff, that are mostly jazz standards isn’t that interesting from an arrangement perspective, though obviously Aretha’s voice is absolutely incredible, so she elevates the blander stuff here to something a lot better.

Definitely more than enough in here for me to come back to this one. Any time spent with her voice is time worth spending.

6. cshadows2887

Looking through the credits and lots of great names but Spike Lee’s dad is all over it on bass. That’s pretty cool

George likes this.
  7. George

Trusted Prestigious

I didn’t spot that! That is pretty cool!

cshadows2887 likes this.
  8. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

you still have all day tomorrow! haha

cshadows2887 likes this.
  9. cshadows2887

I won’t have a lot of listening time tomorrow so I wanted to make sure I got this one in today.

Anything on your listening docket?

10. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Forgot to vote for 1960, gonna try not to make that mistake for 61. Listened to Stan Getz - Focus and Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Further Out today. Both wrap up a lot of what I love about jazz with a neat bow. Joe Morello and Roy Haynes both knocking it out of the park. Gonna try and get to Shirley Bassey's self-titled record, one of The Kingston Trio records, and maybe one or two others this evening.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  11. Meerkat

Double post but also for sure am gonna have to make time to revisit West Side Story

cshadows2887 likes this.
  12. Meerkat

Going for a record triple post. Took a detour and put on The Marvelettes debut. Had no clue Marvin Gaye not only was one of the drummers for The Funk Brothers but that he's on drums for "Please Mr. Postman"

cshadows2887 likes this.
  13. phaynes12

judy at carnegie and runaway by del shannon

cshadows2887 likes this.
  14. tomdelonge

Trusted

Runaway’s a good call. Nothing but hooks

phaynes12 and cshadows2887 like this.
  15. cshadows2887

One of my favorite music fan details is that the very early synthesizer they used on “Runaway” was so primitive that it literally starts to slide slightly out of tune by the end of the solo. So cool.

phaynes12 likes this.
  16. Maverick

Trusted

Favorite 1961 single

1. I Told Every Little Star - Linda Scott

Other favorite 1961 singles..

Crying - Roy Orbison
    Please Mr. Postman - The Marvelettes
    Running Scared - Roy Orbison
    Stand By Me - Ben E King
    Tossin’ and Turnin’ - Bobby Lewis
    Can’t Help Falling In Love - Elvis Presley
    Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow - The Shirelles
    Surfin’ - The Beach Boys

Notable mention:
    Krzysztof Penderecki’s Threnody for the victims of Hiroshima

tomdelonge and cshadows2887 like this.
  17. Meerkat

Realized I've never sat down with a full Chuck Berry album so putting on New Juke Box Hits. Probably gonna get another handful of records in today. Ended yesterday with The Blues and the Abstract Truth and King of the Delta Blues Singers. I think the early 60s are going to be pretty dominated by jazz for me

phaynes12 and cshadows2887 like this.
  18. tomdelonge

Trusted

Hail! hail! rock n roll!

Chuck is the king and somehow still underrated. His lyrics especially are really overlooked

19. tomdelonge

Trusted

This is like one of the greatest live performances ever

Meerkat likes this.
  20. Meerkat

"Thirteen Question Method" walked so "Back At One" could run

cshadows2887 likes this.
  21. cshadows2887

It’s crazy to me that for a lot of his career he’d just roll into towns and have local bands back him with no rehearsal.

phaynes12 likes this.
  22. Meerkat

God I'd love to do that. Taylor Swift roll through LA and let me get behind the kit for all of Fearless

cshadows2887 likes this.
  23. phaynes12

he truly was insanely talented, just a shame how much of a creep he was

Meerkat likes this.
  24. tomdelonge

Trusted

Apparently the band for that Toronto show didn’t even meet him til he introduced himself a few songs into the set

cshadows2887 likes this.
  25. Meerkat

Judy at Carnegie Hall is such a triumph. Really puts into perspective how well deserved her stardom is/was