Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1961 in film. • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

I have to watch Last Year at Marienbad again. I didn't really get it the first time. I saw it a little too early in my cinephilia journey and I never went back.

SpyKi likes this.
  2. username

hey you lil piss baby

This seems to be the common experience. It wasn't until a returned to it a few years after initally seeing it that I was won over by it. It's really a work you have to approach on its own terms, without the baggage of what "narrative" cinema is supposed to be. I had a similar experience with Muriel as well.

3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

you guys are being so pedantic and odd about this. you’re just listing three movies. you can watch or rewatch them whenever you want. relax lol

Victor Eremita likes this.
  4. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Literally no one’s being pedantic or un-relaxed, lol.

I just found the abruptness of this format really disappointing, especially since it felt (to me) like the initial consensus was weekly, like those actor & director threads. So, I started a conversation about it, and a few people shared their two cents.

If this is the format y’all prefer, cool. No need to be stupid & petty over it, lol.

riotspray likes this.
  5. Tim

This being my second year where my favorite is probably a Godard film (A Woman is a Woman) makes me think I should prioritize watching as much Godard this year as I can. I’ve only seen I think 4 of his films, but I’ve enjoyed every one I’ve seen. How much of his stuff is on Criterion Channel?

Also, seeing it mentioned up there, I decided to look at a couple 101 Dalmatians clips, & I forgot how much I loved that as a kid. Feel like that animation subconsciously affected my aesthetic tastes more than I realized. So stylish.

SpyKi likes this.
  6. username

hey you lil piss baby

The majority of his 60s work is up there, along with a couple post-60s (Tout va bien and Every Man For Himself, at least).

Tim likes this.
  7. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

This.

Do it however you want, but if you move on every 3 days you're only going to get engagement from the same half dozen film nerds that have actually seen some of the more obscure/foreign stuff. As you move onto the next year, people like myself who can't keep up will just not participate or vote for the 1 pedestrian pick they've seen rather than read the thread, take a few suggestions, maybe watch something new, and contribute.

Again, I'm not running this, do it however you want, but in my opinion, at least leaving the voting portion open longer would allow people a little time to possibly watch something new and consider it for the bracket.

SpyKi likes this.
  8. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

1. Breakfast at Tiffany's
    2. Viridiana
    3. Lola

9. Tim

Finally signed up for Criterion Channel & ended up watching The End of Summer by Yasujirō Ozu, partly 'cause I'd never gotten around to any Ozu (could've started with one of his more iconic films, but whatever, who cares, lol) & partly 'cause it's a 1961 film. Liked it a lot. Really good film about youth, mortality, etc.

Gonna go ahead & make my official picks:

1. A Woman is a Woman
    2. The End of Summer
    3. One Hundred and One Dalmatians

cshadows2887 and SpyKi like this.
  10. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

This is an even more difficult decision than 1960 despite more films not being particularly great that I have seen from this year

1. The Innocents
    2. Mothra
    3. The Day the Earth Caught Fire

cshadows2887 likes this.
  11. Morrissey

Trusted

Yojimbo wins with 14 points. A Woman is a Woman was second place, but it was not close. Yojimbo will move on to the bracket.

SpyKi likes this.
  12. DaveyA89

Only one I have seen is 101 Dalmations. It got a re-release in the 90s and was the only film I have seen in a drive thru. Fond memories, but had no idea how old it was at the time haha

13. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

It my favorite of the 3 by a considerable margin, as great as they all are. All the atmosphere of L’Avventura with a more affecting human component.