Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1960's in film.

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, Apr 27, 2021.

?

What is the best film of the 1960's?

Poll closed May 4, 2021.
  1. La Dolce Vita

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Yojimbo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Vivre sa Vie

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. 8 1/2

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. Dr. Strangelove

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  6. Le Bonheur

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  7. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  8. The Graduate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2001: A Space Odyssey

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  10. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Morrissey

Trusted

The 1960's were an explosion of creativity. The French New Wave, towering Japanese icons, and Italian films of excess dominated the beginning of the decade, but as time went on important artists like Stanley Kubrick were joined by the Golden Age of Hollywood. Of the ten winners so far, which is your favorite and why?

We will extend this to one week to get a range of responses.

2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

It was a hard choice between Butch Cassidy and Dr. Strangelove, but the former was one of the movies that got me into the classics. It was showing on TV on a Saturday when I wasn't feeling great and I'd recently seen (and fallen utterly in love with) It's a Wonderful Life which made me curious. And then it was off to the races. Artistically daring, funny, but still exciting and with great writing.

3. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

This is too hard to vote on right away, which speaks to the quality of the list. I think I have a vague top half and vague bottom half

Fronnyfron likes this.
  4. Fronnyfron

Woke Up Right Handed Prestigious

Oh I thought it was a bracket where the movies went head to head lol. This is much tougher

5. Morrissey

Trusted

In the end there is going to be a huge competition. We will get there one day.

6. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Voted for 2001.

7. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Voted for The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

8. George

Trusted Prestigious

Voted for Dr Strangelove, which is probably my favourite film of the 60s as well, so pleased to see that it made it through, though obviously some tough choices.

The only one of these that I haven't seen is Butch Cassidy, so will make it a point to try and watch that before the week is up, just to ensure that I don't need to change my vote.

9. Nathan

My favorites of the ten
    8 1/2
    La Dolce Vita
    2001: A Spacey Odyssey
    The Graduate
    Dr. Strangelove
    Le Bonheur
    Virve sa Vie
    The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Yojimbo and Butch Cassidy are the two that I wouldn't quite group with the others. I think both are great, but Yojimbo isn't quite as brilliant as Kurosawa's best (obviously a high bar, not a knock, just my preference) and I never 100% connected with George Roy Hill's stuff the way I do my favorite filmmakers, though Butch Cassidy is very good and The Sting is fun.

I think if I were forced to vote... I'd go 8 1/2. But my feeling could change in ten minutes. I first saw it early in film school and it was the first required viewing from that school where I felt things click, like I understood why we were watching it. But the top 8 all have a case, they're all masterworks. I'm glad Le Bonheur won its year, I feel like it's the odd film out when it comes to the reputation and legacy of the films around it in this group but it's as good as most of them.

10. Morrissey

Trusted

If I was ranking them.

1. La Dolce Vita
    2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
    3. Dr. Strangelove
    4. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
    5. 8 1/2
    6. Vivre sa Vie
    7. Yojimbo
    8. The Graduate
    9. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

I have never seen Le Bonheur, and I need to see Yojimbo again because it has been so long.

11. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

went with 2001 but it was close between that and GBU.

ranking of the ones i’ve seen:
    1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
    2. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    3. The Graduate
    4. Dr. Strangelove
    5. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

12. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
    2. Le Bonheur
    3. The Graduate
    4. Yojimbo
    5. Dr. Strangelove
    6. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
    7. 8 1/2
    8. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    9. Vivre sa Vie

13. George

Trusted Prestigious

A ranking is fairly arbitrary, but why not...

1. Dr Strangelove
    2. 8 1/2
    3. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
    4. Yojimbo
    5. 2001
    6. La Dolce Vita
    7. The Graduate
    8. Le Bonheur
    9. Vivre Sa Vie

Not completely satisfied with that, but that'll do.

14. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Kubrick

15. Morrissey

Trusted

The Graduate was one of the bigger winners so far. Surprising it gets no votes so far.

16. Morrissey

Trusted

@Henry can you sticky it?

17. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Maybe not my absolute favorite of these but had to go with Le bonheur as the only Varda that made it! I'm assuming this part is for seeding purposes?

SpyKi likes this.
  18. Dan CiTi Apr 29, 2021
    (Last edited: Apr 29, 2021)
    Dan CiTi

♎️♈️♌️ Prestigious

The Wild Bunch is probably the "best" or 2001 if you're a fancy pants, but my favorite is 8½.

19. username

hey you lil piss baby

Hard choice for me between Vivre as vie and Le bonheur, but ultimately went with the Godard, which I have watched more often and more recently. None of the others were really in contention for me (these two were the only ones that were on my personal lists), although I do think most of them are great. Yojimbo and 2001 would be the next two. Butch Cassidy and the Leone are the two I haven’t seen but admittedly neither has really appealed to where my taste has detoured over the last 5 years or so. Maybe some day.

20. Morrissey

Trusted

I thought 2001 would run away with this but it only has a one vote lead. Kubrick is competing with himself.

21. Morrissey

Trusted

With 38 percent of the vote, Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece about man's evolution into God is the Chorus.fm Film of the 1960's.

Victor Eremita, George and SpyKi like this.
  22. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

We made the right choice

23. Morrissey

Trusted

I was always pretty sure it would win. In a decade full of classics, 2001 is such an influential and important film.

I think the 70's will be more unpredictable. I would assume a Godfather victory except for the fact that it will split votes with the sequel.

24. Nathan

Jaws and Star Wars will come in to play, which more people have seen than The Godfather

Between Godfathers, II deserves it, though the first is really unimpeachable

CarpetElf likes this.
  25. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

Both the 60s and 70s are loaded with all time greats. Both Godfather films are perfect but I’m interested to see where something like Eraserhead ends up because I know Lynch is pretty popular on this website.

SpyKi likes this.