Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1960 in film. • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

La Dolce Vita wins with 9 points. Breathless and The Apartment were close. La Dolce Vita will move on to the bracket.

2. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Was not aware this was a bracket, thought it was just lists

3. Morrissey

Trusted

I am so sorry.

CarpetElf and SpyKi like this.
  4. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Is there an easy way to watch a lot of this stuff? Would love to know which of these (especially once it gets down to the top level bracket stuff) are available on Criterion/Mubi/HBO Max etc. Would make it easier to join in for someone like me who hasn’t seen a ton of classic film. I think the only ones mentioned here that I’ve seen are Pyscho and L’avventura.

I know that’s a big ask though, I should probably just do the work to look it up myself lol.

5. username

hey you lil piss baby

Would have to go back through to confirm but I’m pretty certain that every non-American film that has been mentioned in this thread (except La Dolce Vita) is available on the Criterion Channel.

VanMastaIteHab likes this.
  6. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

1. L’avventura
    2. Psycho
    3. Breathless

7. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

1. The Apartment
    2. Psycho
    3. Shoot the Piano Player

8. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Only seen twelve films from this year but I am sure these would be contenders even if I had seen more

1. Psycho
    2. House of Usher
    3. Peeping Tom

9. George

Trusted Prestigious

There's no 1958 thread, so putting this here, but I saw Cairo Station, an Egyptian film from Youssef Chahine the other day, and I thought it was phenomenal. One part neo-realism with a strong anti-capitalist leanings, with a Hitchock-esque tense finale with a body hidden in plain sight. Only 77 minutes and really engaging and gripping.

This was my first Egyptian film I think (I'm not counting The Mummy...), and really interested in seeing more from Youssef Chahine.

10. Morrissey

Trusted

You can see how much less traffic we got in 1960. I thought about a lot of different entry points; I was originally going to go with 1980 to keep it modern but 1960 felt right. If I had started at 1895 we would be here for years and there would be a dozen votes.

11. George

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I wasn't complaining about the lack of a thread! 1960 seems like the best starting point for it - just posted about this film here, as it seemed the closest to it.