Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1917 (Sam Mendes, December 25 2019) Movie • Page 8

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 1, 2019.

1. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

they might as well have been nazis. the leader of germany during wwi was a noted anti-semite. who gives a shit

Garrett L. and Ferrari333SP like this.
  2. skoopy

Regular

I'm not crazy about war movies but this was certainly a very worthwhile theatrical experience if nothing else. Wouldn't throw a fit if it won bp considering the nonsense from a year ago.

coleslawed likes this.
  3. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Saw this tonight, I genuinely enjoyed the technical aspects of the film as it was engrossing to watch this constant focus on a big screen. The story was eh, not saying it was bad but it felt weak to me personally, just typical war movie stuff. I wouldn’t be mad if this won the cinematography Oscar, it’s truly something to behold but I’d rather The Lighthouse gets it.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  4. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Bout to see this now

flask and Ferrari333SP like this.
  5. TSLROCKS

Trusted Supporter

Just got back from this. Loved it

that scene with Blake was incredible. Don't think I've ever felt so emotional in a theater in a long time

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  6. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Yeah really liked this movie. Def not the best this year but not nearly as problematic as past winners.... so that’s a win in itself

7. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

This was pretty good. Most of my feelings have been brought up earlier in the thread. Doesn’t come close to my favorites for the year but it was worth seeing in the theater to me.

I didn’t love the one shot trick, in fact some scenes made me feel sort of ill and lose focus on what was happening because of the constant motion. It worked really well for a few scenes, but others I agree totally with it feeling like a video game and taking me out of the story.

I loved the sequence at night with the burning city and his conversation with the woman there. The way we learned more about him as a person instead of a random body on a mission just through the way he interacted with them worked very well. I wanted to have more of those moments seeing who he was outside of this one event because those were some of the best in the movie.

I also loved the entire forest scene. The way the sound slowly crept up and then you just follow how exhausted he is and how haunting the song is in this beautiful location that felt like it should be in another movie, that was beautiful.

I saw the trailer but didn’t take much of it in, so I was shocked when Blake died. I really thought it was a two-man movie and it wasn’t until he was completely falling apart that I realized what was about to happen. That was about the only major shock in the film for me but it was a big one.

All of the family resemblance comments made me laugh when I realized it was Tommen and Robb Stark being compared. Somehow I missed that Richard Madden was in it and that was a nice surprise. I’m glad they got such memorable people to fill such short roles, they all did a great job making an impact even if the story wasn’t much and they were just in and out.

I don’t see myself thinking of it independently as much as I have for my favorites of the year or feeling the need fo delve into it deeply, but that’s not very surprising. I’m glad I saw it and that’s about it.

8. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

The river jumping scene looked like shit

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  9. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

I knew really nothing about this before I saw it. I can’t fucking believe little Blake died like that. I assumed he would die and probably tragically. But I was not ready for that. He annoyed me and grew on me so quickly

Edit: HOLY FUCK. JUST READ @EASheartsVinyl comment. That was fuckin Tommen?!!!!!!!

coleslawed and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  10. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeeeeeep. I was pleasantly surprised by his acting.

11. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

This may have been posted already, but I finally saw this in theaters yesterday and have been watching all the BTS stuff I can find.

12. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

13. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

This clip here shows very briefly sort of how they did it. Camera on a wire.

airik625 and Ferrari333SP like this.
  14. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

this was...fine. The one shot was effective a couple times but actively annoying / boring the rest

jkauf and phaynes12 like this.
  15. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

A weird feeling with this movie is thinking over how much happens in ostensibly such a short amount of time. Like it doesn’t feel right that within the span of less than an hour, the boys get their assignment, cross no-man’s land, nearly die in a trap, and then Tommen gets killed by the pilot. And then the same with the second half — that it’s the dead of night when he wakes up but completely light out by the end. It’s a bizarre issue where the movie tries (needs?) to maintain the pacing of a more traditional film to keep the audience engaged, even though it obviously isn’t.

I’m not even saying it’s bad or that I think it’s “unrealistic” or whatever bullshit complaint. Just that it makes me feel weird to think about lol

16. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

The one shot gimmick makes in-scene logic silly. He gets on that car, it drives for about two minutes, gets stuck, he spends another two minutes helping it get unstuck, and suddenly doesn’t have the time to go with them anymore. So they drove him about 25 feet?

17. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

What's funny is, that truck scene was filmed in rural England, the next canal scene was filmed in Glasgow, and the night time town scene on a film lot

Serenity Now likes this.
  18. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Movie magic, baby!

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  19. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

This was solid, looked good and I’ll probably never think about it again

coleslawed, jkauf and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  20. skoopy

Regular

Given the contents of this, it winning the awards it has and likely will isn't the most bothersome thing in the world. But with the quality of so many other films released last year, this does seem disposable by comparison.

yung_ting likes this.
  21. Morrissey

Trusted

This was okay. It didn't help that I watched the opening of Saving Private Ryan six times on Friday while showing it to students.

The great thing about movies is that you can jump around to different scenes and characters. You aren't limited like in a play. I don't know why the idea of one continuous film has become so popular.

22. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I think it’s the novelty of the challenge of how to construct that style of film.

coleslawed likes this.
  23. flask

Trusted Supporter

To me it would the same as making a silent movie or a black and white movie. They’re playing with one of the major conventions of story telling when it comes to making movies. For the most part I think it works. I also thinks it’s unfair to call it a “gimmick.”

24. Morrissey

Trusted

Black and white adds a sense of timelessness to a film. Dialogue-free or light films also heighten other senses and impact.

It was impressive when Russian Ark did it almost twenty years ago because you could see the craftmanship that it took, but this is not a real single shot so it is just pretending to achieve something for its own sake. Children of Men is probably the most famous of the long take films, but those moments have the effect of drawing you into the film. Here, it is just calling attention to itself so people will laud it and give it trophies. It doesn't immerse you in the film any more than a conventionally shot film would.

yung_ting and phaynes12 like this.
  25. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I think because of the above, Parasite has a better chance to win Best Picture over this. Sam Mendes should get Best Director though