Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1917 (Sam Mendes, December 25 2019) Movie • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

"I also can’t help but laugh when I see that tree at the end of the film. There were about 100 of us extras that used that tree to piss on, as the toilets were so far away. No one told us the leading actor would be sitting under it" - hahahaha

2. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

That was fascinating. Keep 'em coming.

3. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Since I've seen it in the commercial so many times, I don't like the shot of the soldier jumping off the bridge into the water. It takes a hard shift from someone jumping naturally to looking like they're being lowered down with a green screen in the background.

Dan Quinlan likes this.
  4. ^Ya I don't love that shot either. Took me out of the movie briefly.

Zilla likes this.
  5. Ferrari333SP Jan 15, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 15, 2020)
    Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Also, the only serious scene cut is when he gets shot in the side of the head and then wakes up; haven't seen this mentioned in any of the interviews so far

6. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Since it’s like you’re watching the movie in real time, my guess it was the best way to move time along so that it cuts to the events leading up to him reaching his troops as the attack is underway

7. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Oh I get why they do it; just kind of weird to have it when the rest of the film is made to seen like one shot. But whatever no biggie

8. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

9. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Deakins is god

10. aoftbsten Jan 18, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 18, 2020)
    aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

This was good. It goes without saying that Deakins crushed it. Loved the score too. The nighttime flare scene was a thing of beauty.

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  11. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

That scene honestly had me in awe.

Mrplum5089 and aoftbsten like this.
  12. Professor Plumbob Jan 18, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 18, 2020)
    Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

It felt like my theater upgraded from HD to 4K mid film, stunning

airik625, Ferrari333SP and aoftbsten like this.
  13. Ferrari333SP Jan 18, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 19, 2020)
    Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Just got back from seeing this a 2nd time, with my parents; was even more awe of this film the 2nd time around. This time I tried paying more attention to what was happening around characters, trying to take more in. Like others have said, the night time flare scene in Ecoust is simply astonishing. And the final scene, in Scofield meeting Blake's brother, and then slowly walking to the tree to sit down, might be my most favorite ending scene in a film ever. Scofield just had the most insane ordeal ever, getting cut, getting shot at, surviving a booby-trapped bunker, surviving a waterfall, and most of all having his close friend die in his arms; and yet, he kept going, kept struggling, kept going on, and he made it happen. To me, that tree at the end signified the life that was still in Scofield, the humanity that was still there. Speaking from a religious angle, he carried out the mission from above, and with it complete, the sun came out, shining down on them all, and he goes to sit under that tree, a tree that looked scarred from so much violence, and he sits down next to a healthy field of grass, gently blowing in the wind, as if he's been granted access to Heaven already because of what he's done. I know there's several different way you could look at this scene, but this was the way my brain tried to make sense of it.

Overall, this film is a stunning achievement. I'm seeing more worth in this winning Best Picture now.

Garrett L., Mrplum5089 and jkauf like this.
  14. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Didn’t love this as much as everyone else. Enjoyed it, some incredible technical achievements, etc. but put it on par with Ford v Ferrari. Maybe I was still on too much of a heartwarming Little Women high from the other day.

15. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

won the PGA award for BP. probably is gonna win the oscar.

16. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

If anyone watches both 1917 and Parasite and picks 1917, it should be grounds for taking away their vote

17. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Pretty sure Parasite is going to get Roma’d and this wins BP.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  18. flask

Trusted Supporter

I’ve already accepted Parasite losing because there’s no justice in this world.

Zilla likes this.
  19. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Did you see the post in this thread about the tree?

20. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

the movie was fine. it isn't deserving of best picture but it would be pretty far from the worst winner we've had this century

EASheartsVinyl, skoopy, Zilla and 6 others like this.
  21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

surprised the last war movie to win was The Hurt Locker, seems like forever ago but the 2010s were the longest decade

also an insane gap

22. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Your post got me wondering if movie production - as in volume of movies only - in the US had gone up in 2010’s compared to previous decades. Certainly felt that way to me but this site seems to tell a different story which seems wild.

The Numbers - Movie Market Summary 1995 to 2020

23. Iain

Regular

I enjoyed this movie a lot! The scene when they come out the nazi front line that was abandoned. When he fires the flare. Then the camera pans round to them talking and the flare flying and then exploding in background was phenomenal.

Garrett L. likes this.
  24. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Ahh yes, the Nazis of World War I

25. Iain

Regular

stayillogical likes this.