Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1917 (Sam Mendes, December 25 2019) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 1, 2019.

1. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

2. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

I am going to be thinking about this one for a while. What a film. Just wow. I loved it so much, especially when he hears the singing and then is slowly walking towards it. Such a beautifully shot film.

ezmo311 likes this.
  3. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I'd say food as well. When you go hiking and such, you do the same thing so bears don't get your food.

Also, why would you hang your shit?

4. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

I figured it was "safer" to poo indoors and away from battle and then take it out later. In retrospect, it doesn't make much sense. Haha.

5. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Haha, for sure. You did a hole in a corner some where and fill it. Just bags of shit hanging around? Hhahaha, imagine.

6. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

lmao "how to make a bad time even worse"

coleslawed, Serenity Now and mad like this.
  7. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Uuuuuhhh I haven’t seen the movie yet but this is....... not what I expected the discussion to be about. Lol.

8. flask

Trusted Supporter

Crazy how the money shot of the movie is in all the trailers but it’s still jaw dropping when you watch it.

9. Ya, I wish I hadn't already seen it in the trailer, but it still made me emotional when I saw it on the big screen.

Here's a cool side-by-side of the scene and how it was filmed.

10. mad

I was right. Prestigious

I really appreciated that during that scene it wasn't the typical "the hero magically zags through the crowd" thing and instead he fully collides with like 4 people lol

11. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

IMDB says running into people and falling wasn't indicated in the script

mad likes this.
  12. radiodead

Trusted

I was really disappointed by this. I think I overhyped it in my head. I have several nit picks.

the first 30-40 mins is pretty great. The next 40 mins is pretty mediocre followed by a great final 10 mins. Some the casting/cameos took me out of the film. The “one shot” was gimmicky and also made it feel like a video game in moments. Other moments it fueled some of the absolute best scenes of the film, obviously the one everyone knows about is as stunning as you expect.

I was just not invested in a lot of the “checkpoints”. I thought the script was pretty mediocre, and found myself not caring much about what a lot of characters had to say. The lead performances were excellent though. Physical and heartbreaking.

Obviously Saving Private Ryan is a huge touchstone for this, and it overshadowed a lot of this movie, because it does virtually everything better. Not totally fair, but that’s what happens when two movies are similar.

recall reality likes this.
  13. Ferrari333SP Jan 14, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 15, 2020)
    Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I thought this was fantastic. And going in I knew the plot was going to be pretty razor thin, so instead I came at it as a movie giving me/the audience a very up close and personal view into this insane day this particular soldier has. I truly felt like I was there, and I didn't feel the continuous shot was a gimmick at all. It made me more aware of everything going on around him, more concerned for everything around him. I felt closer to his universe, getting a better sense of his experience. Truly exceptional film camera work. Final shot of him approaching the tree and sitting down was sublime. I truly felt the emotional weight of him meeting his friend's brother and what delivering that message meant to him. Soundtrack is incredible. Not sure on Best Picture, but I can easily see this winning Best Director.

14. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Serenity Now likes this.
  15. Lucas27

Trusted

I loved this. I also disagree with it being emotionally thin. It was so immersive that I felt like I was feeling what he was feeling. For example, the scene in the truck after Blake’s death. None of the dialogue from the other guys was muffled, but I felt like it was because the hold on Scofield’s face put me in that same removed state. That’s just a random example of many in the movie.

Dunkirk is another terrific example of a movie I found very emotional where some criticized it for being emotionally thin. I cry every dang time the captain looks out to see the British civilian boats. I think it takes a special sort of film to get you emotionally invested with limited character development and dialogue. Amazing cinematography, a terrific score, and great acting in the moment all go a long way in achieving this.

Serenity Now and Ferrari333SP like this.
  16. Lucas27

Trusted

I also loved how this movie captured the obscurity that comes with war. Like how Blake doesn’t die from the plane crash, but a stab wound from the pilot he was trying to rescue. Or like how that woman ended up being left alone in a house with someone else’s baby. One situation feels so stupid, the other feels so strange, but both feel super realistic.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  17. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

I loved when the camera would be rolling around and a dead body or a giant rat would pop into the foreground randomly.

Lucas27, blast0rama and Ferrari333SP like this.
  18. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I particularly liked the scene of him running through the ruined town at night, being chased by the German soldiers; how frenetic and intense that situation must have felt to him

19. dlemert

Trusted

This was phenomenal. There were several moments where I have absolutely no idea what they were doing with the camera to get the shot. What an achievement.

20. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

In particular, I was baffled how when the two guys approached that pit that had a lot of water in it, and so they start walking around it on the left side, while the camera then seemingly floats along the surface in the middle of the pond, tracking all their movements. Like, was it just the camera zooming in? Or did they use an extremely long boom crane to put the camera in the middle of the lake to track them? Going to try watching some making-of videos today

aoftbsten and dlemert like this.
  21. mad

I was right. Prestigious

that was one of my favourite moments. the music during that scene was gorgeous.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  22. dlemert

Trusted

This is the exact moment I had in mind! It couldn't be someone with a steadycam walking through the water, as there are no ripples. Maybe the water was CGI'd in later, but it looked to good for that.

Also there is another moment (and probably several more I missed) where they are walking through the trenches and the characters push through the front of the crowd while the camera passes through the crowd on the other side, but there's no way the crowd could have parted enough to let a camera through. Absolute trickery.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  23. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

24. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

This would good

25. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Joe likes this.