Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1917 (Sam Mendes, December 25 2019) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 1, 2019.

1. I wouldn’t be surprised if this wins Best Director.

2. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I think there's definitely going to be a BP/BD split this year. As enjoyable as this was, I also really hope it doesn't win Best Picture. Maybe Best Director, then Parasite for Best Picture.

3. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Even though I feel this compromised a little bit in terms of plot and predictability thanks to how they shot the film, I think the payoff was worth said compromise plus the runtime flew by as the way it is filmed kept me entirely engaged. Easily one of my favourite war films of the 2010s and way better than the overrated Dunkirk.

flask likes this.
  4. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Oof

stayillogical likes this.
  5. As impressive as this is, I'd still take Dunkirk over it. Seeing that in IMAX gave me goosebumps.

6. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

What was in the hanging bags inside the abandoned German bunker?

7. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

Uh no, Dunkirk was way better.

This was good, but I'm going to be in the minority and say the continuous take was distracting. I think it would have made a better movie without it, just focusing on the real time mission.

radiodead and Serh like this.
  8. Nathan

The faux continuous shot gimmick should have died with Birdman. By tracking the protagonist for nearly every second of this movie, it made it feel like watching a video game

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I think war movies just generally are not my cup of tea, pun unintended, because this and Dunkirk were both enjoyable but nothing really for me

10. Likely food. They would hang them in bags to make it harder for rats to get to them.

11. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

100% agree, Dunkirk was way, way better.

Joe and Jake Gyllenhaal like this.
  12. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

They’re both very good.

riotspray likes this.
  13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

knew this thread would eventually resort to pitting those two against each other

14. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

can we all agree that both movies >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> h*cks*w r*dge

riotspray likes this.
  15. Jake Gyllenhaal

But that movie had a devout Christian use the upper torso of a dead body with the guts hanging loose as a shield!

16. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Only brought it up because it was the first war film that came to mind from the 2010s which was overall a let down for me in a big way, especially considering I have loved plenty of Nolan's other directorial efforts and was worried this would turn out the same way but it was far more effective in terms of characters, getting across the horrors of war and was way more engaging.

17. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I had the same feeling. Like a Call of Duty scene. But it felt immersive, so it wasn’t a bad thing for me.

18. Nathan

War movies are most interesting when they aren’t about “the horrors of war”

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  19. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

well this did one good thing

20. Jake Gyllenhaal

I like Full Metal Jacket cuz it’s about the horrors of boot camp

21. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

What a damn great movie.

22. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

Saw this tonight - absolutely loved it, and I figured I was over war films. The one shot gimmick felt like a magic trick to me. Can’t wait for any/all BTS features to come out.

23. flask

Trusted Supporter

I thought this was phenomenal

24. flask

Trusted Supporter

Wouldn’t bat an eye if this won best pic tbh. But I loved A LOT of movies this year.

25. Serenity Now Jan 13, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 13, 2020)
    Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Really? I thought it was human shit. Especially after the line, "you cannot be THAT hungry"

EDIT: The internet has spoken & I am wrong.

ezmo311 likes this.