Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1917 (Sam Mendes, December 25 2019) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

This was incredible

riotspray likes this.
  2. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I don’t think i’d say there was no emotional depth. I don’t think this is really a film where youre meant to get attached to the characters, but i was definitely gutted for Scofield when he had to leave Blake’s body so quickly. Also thought the exchange between he and Richard Madden was great as well.

i was absolutely captivated by this from the moment they left camp to the credits.

3. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I agree with everything said in here. Definitely a very enjoyable experience and it didn’t feel like 2 hours at all.

riotspray likes this.
  4. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

this movie was...wow. A masterpiece.

riotspray likes this.
  5. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

the rendition of wayfaring stranger they use in this is haunting

6. mad

I was right. Prestigious

holy hell Thomas Newman’s score is amazing

troyplaysbass and Sean Murphy like this.
  7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

this was the most British movie ever, just a bunch of oi mate I reckon war is bloody hell
    this was definitely anxiety provoking and claustrophobic
    I don't think it was emotionally lacking per se but all those corpses being nameless I guess war is dehumanizing, you just see death, but it would have been nice to have some characters with names and personalities
    lost it at Benedict Cumberbatch saying hope is a dangerous thing but I think it was independent of Lana haha

8. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

9. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

This was something incredible. Holy shit. The cinematography, the Thomas Newman score, the set pieces, the fact that they just begun production back in April...WHERE DID THIS FILM COME FROM???

coleslawed likes this.
  10. RyanRyan

So excited to see this

11. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

yeah this was so good. that bridge/sniper scene goddamn I was sweating bullets I don't know why I watched this hungover

12. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

to an earlier point, re: oscar noms

we get the list monday so we will know for sure, but i nearly expect this to sweep in the technical awards. editing, sound editing, cinematography. It should be up for Score as well. Would not be shocked to see it get best original screenplay, and also would not be shocked at all to see Mendes get best director (though i think Marty is a lock).

I don’t think it’s best picture, but our county’s obsession with wartime/military movies could push it over.

Zilla likes this.
  13. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Glad I'm not alone in loving this. Thread did a 180 after this movie went wide.

14. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Tbf i think the trailer made this out to be more than it was but i still loved it

15. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

War movies always do well in the technical categories. It’s a lock to win sound editing, sound mixing, and cinematography in my opinion. Film editing is trickier, especially in a year with Thelma Schoonmaker’s expert weaving of The Irishman’s jumps between moments in time also in the running (I think she’ll wind up winning at the Oscars), plus it’s supposed to look like there’s no editing in this at all lol. It’ll also have a shot at visual effects.

16. Anthony_

Looking forward to seeing this tomorrow morning

17. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

18. Just got out of this. An impressive feat of technical filmmaking. Truly riveting stuff. The night time sequences were my favorite. All that stuff looked gorgeous with the ruined town and the lighting.

19. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Didn’t do a lot for me. Deakins did great work but the uncut scenes had the weird effect of simultaneously making me hyper aware that I was watching a movie while not feeling like a real movie.

20. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

The best extended tracking shots are the ones you don’t even notice are happening until you’re like “wait, was that continuous? When was the last cut?”

This movie’s obligation to its gimmick results in a lot of watching this dude walk around or think and nearly every shot is a close up or mid range shot of him and it’s not dramatic, it’s not meaningful

21. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

World War 1 was so horrific and this movie took such great care in the details to bring that to life. Exquisite film making and truly moving at many moments.

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I was thinking how much more interesting a story this would be if he was the lead, someone should make that movie

Also I realized Sam's grandpa was probably at least exaggerating so who knows how true to life this was

23. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

his grandfather told him a fragment of a story and Sam expanded into a feature-length film. it's not like he got a complete outline of story beats from him lmao

24. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

This was great. Beautiful & riveting the whole time. So many great moments but my favorites were the bunker trip wire, the sniper, & the strangling of the german soldier.

25. Anthony_ Jan 12, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 19, 2020)
    Anthony_

This was good, not great. Definitely wouldn’t make my top ten of the year but I enjoyed it fine. Going to be real disappointing if this winds up winning Best Picture or Director over something like The Irishman at the Oscars.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.