Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1917 (Sam Mendes, December 25 2019) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 1, 2019.

1. mad

I was right. Prestigious

balls I was really hoping to do a double feature with this and Little Women on Boxing Day

2. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

anyone see this yet?

3. flask

Trusted Supporter

This looks good but not drive out to Hollywood good so I'm waiting for wide release.

4. flask

Trusted Supporter

In a stunning turn of events this is actually not playing in Hollywood and IS playing near me lol. Will watch this weekend.

coleslawed and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  5. RyanRyan

I love how you did a u-turn within a minute

6. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

That’s showbiz babayyy

Serenity Now and joe.boy.fresh. like this.
  7. riotspray Dec 30, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 30, 2019)
    riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

This was REALLY good

8. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

do we know when this is going wide? I want to see it and not have to drive a half hour.

9. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

1/10 according to RT. First showings here are the evening of 1/9. One is at 7:17 PM, which is interesting.

GrantCloud and Sean Murphy like this.
  10. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

damn i'm looking at local screenings into mid january and the closest one is 30+ minutes away.

GrantCloud and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  11. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

This was a great technical achievement, and I would like to learn more about how it was made. It was pretty thinly plotted and there wasn’t much “there” for me to think about with regards to theme, though it did take on extra resonance in the backdrop of our fucking moron of a president escalating us to another large scale military conflict. Overall I’d recommend it as a theater experience, but wouldn’t really vouch for it as a film outside of that. You’re better off watching Dunkirk again.

12. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

almost about to watch

coleslawed and Ferrari333SP like this.
  13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

i don't like to take the easy shot of calling this "technically incredible but emotionally lacking" or something but that's kind of what's at the forefront for me. mendes and his long take is clearly being treated as the main course of this film to the point where the more potentially substantial moments (genuinely good as most of them are) take a backseat to a lot of it

other than that, the performances, the cinematography, the score (thomas newman over a mendes movie is never a bad thing), and the closing minutes are all great. the film as a whole is... decent. fully expecting tons of people getting pissed if this wins any major non-technical oscars

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  14. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I don't think it deserves anything outside of the technical awards, but neither do half the movies that will win. It does lack some of the more emotional depth, outside of a couple of scenes, which makes it feel more like an action adventure movie than a non fiction war movie, but I found it to be a super enjoyable theater experience all around.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  15. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

yea, same here. It’s really good, but there’s not much to chew on.

16. RyanRyan

That’s where you’re going wrong - don’t chew

coleslawed and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  17. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Yeah just get that feeding tube and inhale that complete meal formula babayyy

coleslawed likes this.
  18. RyanRyan

Buttchug

19. RyanRyan

I’m so sorry I’m drunk

20. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I agree with both these statements.

21. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I think if you look at this as a war movie, it's not that great. But if you look at it as an action movie, it's really damn good.

22. Matt Chylak

What do you mean by that? The action was absolutely not the highlight for me, it was the immersiveness (especially in the opening No Man's Land crawl, which was the clear best part of the movie from a tension perspective).

MysteryKnight likes this.
  23. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Maybe "action" isn't the right word. Maybe "suspense" or "adventure".

I dunno... I just really enjoyed it and was fully immersed in it from the second it began until the credits ran. I completely agree with the criticism that there wasn't much emotional depth or anything to "chew on" but it's not often that I see a movie where I'm completely glued to the screen for the entire run time.

24. Matt Chylak

riotspray likes this.
  25. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I love Gems too lol.

Looks like an interesting read though. I'll definitely check it out later.