Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

13th (Ava DuVernay, October 7th 2016) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

13th is a 2016 American documentary by director Ava DuVernay. The film is titled after the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution which theoretically outlawed slavery. The full amendment reads as follows: "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction." DuVernay's documentary deals with the way racial inequality in the justice system means that slavery is still being perpetuated.

Filmed in secrecy the movie was only revealed after it was announced as the opening film for the 2016 New York Film Festival.

It is set for an October 7, 2016 release date via Netflix.

2. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Will 100% be watching

3. Tim

This is out now. Anyone watch yet?

4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I've heard excellent things

5. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Yep I've watched. It's great and I encourage everyone who has Netflix to watch it as soon as possible. I learned a lot.

6. Tim

Watched it... Excellent. Very informative. Towards the end with the montage of death-by-police footage hit me hard, even though I had seen much of it before; seeing them in a row was so profoundly heartbreaking.

This should really be required viewing for all white people who don't get Black Lives Matter.

7. Watched this and then bought The New Jim Crow and started reading it last night.

8. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

This is a fantastic documentary. Really eye-opening stuff.