Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

13 Reasons Why (Netflix) TV Show • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Kiana, May 9, 2018.

1. manoverboard365

Trusted

That bathroom scene was so haunting and heartbreaking.

But I just don't understand the ending.......why wouldn't they call the cops?

2. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

This season truly had me until the last episode. I get that oftentimes things don't have a happy ending. I think it's realistic to show the losses in court. But I wish they just would've ended everything with them dancing happily or hugging on the dancefloor. I guess they wouldn't get their cliffhanger for season 3 if they did that, but I felt like almost everything to do with Tyler was handled poorly. And I guess part of me was looking forward to showing that kids who are super angry and feel slighted in life and vengeful that there are programs and other choices that work if we care enough to notice and provide intervention earlier on. So it was a bummer to see every different lil plot wrap up so negatively, for what felt like a cheap attention ploy for the show idk idk. I also had some issues with choices they made with Bryce

I was already sort of annoyed by how they very heavy handedly responded to criticism of the show thru the dialogue. Idk since so much of the criticism was from professionals and survivors I think they could've responded to that thru the characters actions and by improving some depictions for this season, and there was a lot I think they portrayed well, but when they miss I feel like they just tank.

3. Kiana

Also Jessica is the true hero of this show

And Zach is a joy. I was worried they'd ruin his character and was glad they didnt.

4. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Finished it - This second season was at best, irresponsible and at worst, a giant piece of shit.

Utilizing flashbacks with voiceovers with a ghost character (the latter two add nothing) was the first sign it was a mess. But it wants to have it both ways: to be a frank discussion about bullying, assault and suicide, but also employ fantastical elements like the main character having full-on conversations with a dead character (who supplies him with new information!), as if to somehow to say that even though this show takes suicide seriously, the person that kills themself night come back as a helpful dark passenger.

What this season did is make me respect shows like “Friday Night Lights” more because even though they’re both in elevated realities of high school, that addressed issues facing teens with a fairly delicate touch. This just hammers away at the characters because it’s clear the writers can’t let her have more than five minutes without having their souls cave in. It’s like it delights in watching them be tortured.

There were some nice touches, like the eulogy (minus the goodbye into the shining light) and the counselor storyline, but all that is forgotten with the bathroom scene. What a bunch of shitty writers to let that pass.

5. She didn’t technically give him new information, though. She just made him rethink the situation and come to conclusions on his own, which could arguably make her being in the show purposeful.

6. Kiana

I'm still so mad about the ending. The show has always been dark but even after the court cases I was like ok at least they've grown and they're all friends and dancing and have each other so the ending of the season still has positive vibes and then they're like lol screw u no happiness in this universe!!!!

It ridic they even had Tyler walk out of that situation with his injuries. And the stuff with Jessica and Justin was rly frustrating. Jessica couldn't even look at him most of the season and then that? Pretty much every twist they had was infuriating and felt cheap.

johnnyferris and Zilla like this.
  7. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Also, whoever decided to put a 2018 Troye Sivan song in a flashback should lose their job.

8. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

I'm kind of conflicted about the bathroom scene, as overwhelmingly viscerally disturbing as it was (I think it unseated Oberyn's death in GoT as the most fucked up thing I've ever seen).

I just disagree that "it's disturbing" is a valid criticism. I'm also not totally convinced it was as lazy as some contend it was. It may have been a hasty way to develop Tyler's character, but hasty and lazy aren't necessarily synonymous. Sometimes life is hasty, and it's not as though what happened to him is particularly unfeasible or contrived.

I don't know. Every reason I hate that scene ultimately comes back to how disturbing it was, but that's just a completely empty argument to me.

9. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I remember hearing a song from the latest Phoenix album too, which also was not out last year when the show premiered and therefore shouldn’t have been out in the show’s timeline.

Zilla likes this.
  10. Kiana

Ross Butler (zach) is involved in this madness like wut

Learned that Ross and Sam Lutfi are friends which... wow i feel so betrayed rn for Ross being my fave.

11. jorbjorb

7 rings

Not a fan of that last episode.

12. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Got thru the season pretty quickly. This season felt a lot easier to watch than the first (getting to tape 9 was a serious chore in S1).

Big issues for me are: the handling of Tyler’s story the use of the new characters, and Hannah as Clay’s ghost. I was expecting Tyler’s actions in the finale to come a lot sooner with all of the foreshadowing from even last season. It just got uneccesarily dark for him.

The new jock character, Jess’ friend Nina, and even Monty to some degree were handled so poorly. New jock kid was an obvious red herring as a bad kid at the start of the season, but his appearances really fall off in the middle so you forget about him anyways. Nina becoming yet another character doing illegal shit was annoying. I wish the show had taken that in a different direction as well. Monty needed to be more than just the kid that beat up Alex in S1. His development picked up of course at the end, but that needed to already be there earlier in the season.

Hannah’s ghost scenes consistently fell flat for me. Figured it was just a way to keep the face of the show involved.

Clay’s habitual lying continued to bug me, but the eulogy, the post-wake at Monets and dance scenes (anyone else realize Phoebe Bridgers is on that song now?) were incredibly strong for his character.

Jess was my favorite part of the season. The courtroom scene is so special. The show did everything right with her except bringing her to .Justin

13. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

14. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

saw that over the weekend. very very odd scenario.

15. Kiana

Sam Lutfi always ends up in the shadiest scenarios he needs to go he's so creepy

16. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

I like that Justin relapsed lol. It’s kind of shitty, but as someone in recovery I hate it when shows and movies have characters get out of addiction first try. It’s a nice thought, but incredibly unrealistic.

17. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

18. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Hopefully they don’t force the Bakers into any part of the story

19. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

So was Chloe telling the truth at the end?

20. DooDooBird

Trusted

I finished this last night. I thought season 2 was entertaining and worth the watch, but man, there was just some stupid shit I didn't like.

I don't get why they just decided to write in that Zach and Hannah had been hooking up like crazy. I never got any sense in season 1 that they were as close as they were. It just felt like an unnecessary subplot. So stupid. And it makes no sense that she blew off Clay during their hookup, but she was ok with hooking up with Zach before that.
    I liked that they developed Monty's character into this ruthless fuck of a human. I had hated this dude since early season 1 when he was just one of Bryce's cronies. Just has that look to him. I was starting to wonder if the writers would get him more involved in the main storyline. I definitely developed some sympathy for Tyler after that mop scene. It was heartbreaking seeing him tell his mom everything was good at school his first day back.

21. Henry

Moderator Moderator

RyanPm40, jorbjorb and Jake W like this.
  22. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Sounds like literally the only correlation is timing. I don't think it even studies which % of those kids have Netflix in their households or their viewing patterns.

Sounds believable to me, though. The show definitely glamorized suicide as an effective way to get revenge on your bullies.

23. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I just realized I never watched season two. I was into the first one: should I continue?

24. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

I would do it just since you watched the first. But it’s really not good. And does a lot of bullshit retconning.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  25. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Oh wtf, season 2 already came out? Had no idea

St. Nate likes this.