Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

100 METAL ALBUMS IN 100 DAYS • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by theagentcoma, Apr 1, 2016.

1. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

DAY 67

[​IMG]

At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul (1995)

At last! One of the few albums on this list I've already listened to. It was only a few years ago when I first heard it, but the opening riff to "Blinded by Fear" is already one of the more memorable one's I've heard. Listening to the whole Gothenburg melodeath stuff is obviously very underwhelming by today's standards, but it was a big deal back then. Still, I'm not giving out grades based on historical impacts.

In all honesty there's nothing super special about this album. There are some cool softer passages here and there, but there's little to no technicality. Everything is very structured and in the same key. This is one of the most straightforward albums on this list, and I appreciate it even if it gets a little repetitive. The vocals at least are wicked - definitely the highlight. When compared to counterparts Dark Tranquility and In Flames, I'd rate it above The Gallery and below The Jester Race.

Overall: 8/10

Favorite songs: "Blinded by Fear" "Slaughter of the Soul" - make for an amazing start to the album.

2. theagentcoma

DAY 68

[​IMG]

Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain (2006)

This album came out ten years ago, and I'm just now listening to it. What took me so long?

The album starts out dreamy, almost ethereal-like, leaving me wondering where it would go as I'm not familiar with Agalloch. By the time the wicked vocals kicked in (around five minutes), I felt like I was staring up at the frozen battlements of a fortress, standing in a snowy field littered with bodies in the wake of a battle. That's probably the dumbest thing I've ever typed, but the music paints a vivid picture even without the vocals, taking you on a wintry journey.

The vocals seemed almost whispered at times, and the clean singing is a pleasant addition to the atmosphere the music crafts. As I delved deeper into the album, the further I drifted into the imagery Agalloch so carefully creates. It's kind of hard to describe, if you hadn't noticed.

The only knocks against this behemoth of a record? The final track feels wasted - it's just seven minutes of droning noise. Secondly, the length is daunting. It's a deep record, and takes a lot of immersion. Not a light listen by any means.

Overall: 8.5/10

Favorite songs: "Limbs" "Not Unlike the Waves"

DAY 69

[​IMG]

Megadeth - Rust In Peace (1990)

Got DAMN is this album amazing. I owned it in high school, but perhaps I never fully appreciated it. It feels like every minute and a half, there is a sick riff - even during the solos (which are amazing). I've never been a fan of Dave's voice - it's kind of obnoxious and he does some corny things like weird growls and inflections and whatnot. However, the music here is so amazing that I don't give a damn. The bass has plenty of great lines as well, opening up several tracks. I kept waiting for a bad song, which came in the form of "Dawn Patrol" - a kind of weird segue that is nevertheless accompanied by some awesome bass. None of the songs are too long and there are very few breaks in aggression. We all know that the solo in "Tornado of Souls" is one of the best ever written. If I was able to choose one album on this list so that I could master every second of every song on guitar, it'd be this one. Hands down.

I'm giving this the highest rating so far, 70 days into this. The only negative? The aforementioned "Dawn Patrol." Not sure what that's about.

Overall: 9.5/10

Favorite songs: all of 'em except the one

3. theagentcoma

For once, I've actually been listening to newer metal instead of this list: Grave Miasma, Lycus, Vektor, and Darkestrah have all been in my rotation.

But I will finish this list.

DAY 70

[​IMG]

Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz (1980)

I've no prior experience with Ozzy other than Master of Reality and the reality show he used to be on with his family (lol). The guy gets himself kicked out of his old band and starts a new project, and they release this album with that ^^ cover. That worked out!

The album started nicely enough, with great guitar licks and very prevalent bass. Why don't they mix the bass like that anymore? It sounds amazing. Speaking of amazing, the solos are just that. They would've blown my mind had I first heard them 35 years ago. Damn, this album is old.

"Crazy Train" is one of the most recognizable rock songs ever, but the flow of the album felt slightly off with the ballad "Goodbye to Romance" coming after it at track three. It just felt weird to slow things down after the first two songs were high-tempo and full of energy. Plus, that song is emo before emo ever happened. "Wine is fine but whiskey is faster" advocates Osbourne on "Suicide Solution." I don't advocate that.

This is a fun album. I'm by no means a fan of Ozzy or this genre in particular, but it's worth a few spins.

PS what the hell are "Bone Movies?"

Overall: 7.5/10

Favorite songs: "I Don't Know" "Steal Away (The Night)"

4. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

This is a good list of records to work off of. I should go check some of the ones on here that I am not familiar with. When it comes to metal, that '80s and '90s thrash era was so good.

5. theagentcoma

Totally, that's why I started this list in the first place! To check out some of the classics and share my thoughts, hopefully encouraging others to do the same. It's been an eye-opening experience for sure.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  6. theagentcoma

DAY 71

[​IMG]

Sodom - Persecution Mania (1987)

I'll never say no to more trash. Apparently these guys were part of the big thrash movement in Germany along with bands like Destruction and Kreator. The vocals are more on the growl-y side (think Slayer). The album starts out with a song about nuclear warfare followed by a song about the electric chair - sounds suspiciously like the first two songs off of another album by a famous thrash band from the 80's...

There really isn't a whole lot of originality on this album, but that's not what the genre was all about. It was about playing as fast and as loud as possible. For this reason, it gets a little repetitive by about the fifth song since it's mostly just palm muting and power chords. The bass tone however, is outstanding - kind of giving the band a sort of distinctive sound. Despite the lack of variation, this album elicited mild headbanging, which is a sign of a good thrash record.

Overall: 8/10 (changed from 7.5 at the last second)

Favorite songs: "Electrocution" "Bombenhagel"

DAY 72

[​IMG]

Judas Priest - Painkiller (1990)

This band only makes me think of my mom (they were one of her favorite bands in high school). This is the second JP album on this list after Sad Wings of Destiny, which I found to be painfully forgettable for the most part. When I put this album on, I wondered if I had accidentally clicked on an Iron Maiden album instead. A whole hell of a lot can happen in 14 years, and these guys went full-on speed metal, making this a much more memorable offering than Sad Wings.

Rob Halford can obviously shriek and wail. His style will never be my cup of tea, but it's impressive either way. The solos are intense, and I'm just now hearing them 26 years later. Perhaps I should listen to the albums they released between 1976 and 1990 to get more of an idea of the band's transformation. This album is a fun one, high-tempo and full of great rockers. Also look at that amazing album art!

Favorite songs: "Metal Meltdown" "A Touch of Evil" - the album is worth listening to just for these two songs alone, in my opinion.

7. softanimal

It's my mum's dodge caravan

Wish I could like threads because this is awesome, keep up the good work!

You're probably well aware of it but Terminal Redux by Vektor is the best new metal album I've heard in a long long time so definitely check that out if you haven't :)

8. theagentcoma

Thanks! Almost there. And yes that album is fantastic, it's just so much to digest. I'm slowly working my way through it.

9. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I am hoping you dog that Kreator record. I love that band.

10. theagentcoma

It's the season for being way too busy..pressing on!

DAY 73

[​IMG]

Motorhead - Ace of Spades (1980)

I said it when I went through Overkill, but these guys epitomize garage rock to me. They are the quintessential rock band - singing about gambling and getting laid and whatnot - they couldn't be any more straightforward if they tried. Pretty much every one of the songs on this album has to do with sex. In fact, when asked about how most of the songs on this album are blatantly sexual lyrics-wise, Lemmy said they were here to "get pissed, get stoned, and fuck a chick."

And I don't doubt that they did that, many times over. It's just not very interesting subject matter - especially "Jailbait" which is exactly what you think it's about. Maybe 25 years ago it was more gripping, but not now. It's still straightforward rock n' roll, so there's no mystery here. If anything, I give it points for being concise.

Favorite songs: "Ace of Spades" "(We Are) The Roadcrew"

DAY 74

[​IMG]

Metallica - Kill 'em All (1983)

Nothing more can really be said about this band. However, I've never actually sat down and listened to this album all the way through. I've heard about half of it - to this day "The Four Horsemen" is my favorite Metallica song. But "Motorbreath" and "Phantom Lord"? Never listened to them. Until now, of course.

Interestingly enough, the opening riff of "Hit the Lights" sounds like Metallica had just been listening to Ace of Spades as well. When you compare this album to the two classics following it, it obviously sounds immature, but I think it stands well enough on its own. Cliff Burton is at his best on this album (RIP), in my opinion. There are some skippable tracks here and there, but it's a solid start to a brilliant career.

Except for the album art. That shit sucks.

Favorite songs: "The Four Horsemen" "Seek and Destroy' "No Remorse"

11. theagentcoma

DAY 75

[​IMG]

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas (1994)

Oh, Mayhem. I'm not going to get into the drama (murder/suicide/church burning) surrounding this band, I'm just going to talk about why I didn't think this album was all that great. Hear me plainly, when I mean 'great' I am referring to my personal and highly unprofessional opinion, not what everyone else has to say. If we listen to them, well then, yes...this album is great. I've mentioned before that I'm not giving out grades based on historical impact and whatnot, so this album gets no points there, even though it deserves them.

That being said...

This is an evil sounding album. The guitars don't seem overly creative. It seems like most of the time they are literally moving one fret up or one fret down and back again while steadily tremolo picking (see intro to "Life Eternal"). Maybe that's the essence of black metal and I'm ignorantly criticizing it. That'd be like hating on post-rock for its lack of vocals. That's literally what defines the genre. I don't know. Either way, it's not entirely impressive. There are a few good riffs here and there, namely the intros to "Pagan Fears" and the title track, but they are immediately ruined by a painful truth that I can't ignore: the awful vocals. The vocals sound like a dude grunting and gurgling his way through taking a horrible dump. I can make out like one of every 25 words. Seriously, I thought they were a glitch or something when they first kicked in on "Funeral Fog" only to learn that they were actually serious. Again, maybe that's black metal and I'm just an ignorant pleb.

I could go on, but in summary: the music is kind of meh and the vocals are just terrible. It doesn't feel right giving this a lower score but I can't give it anything higher, even after 2.5 listens.

Overall: 7/10

Favorite song: "Freezing Moon"

12. theagentcoma

So the new Thrice and The Hotelier albums have been keeping me busy, but let's get back to it.

DAY 76

[​IMG]

Anthrax - Among the Living (1987)

Anthrax is the only of the "Big Four" of thrash that I couldn't tell you a thing about (until now, obviously). Slayer is the evil sounding band, Metallica is the standard, and Megadeth is a faster and more pissed-off Metallica. Anthrax? After giving this album a listen, they don't seem to fit in with the other three bands. And I think that's a good thing.

Their influences seem to stem more from hardcore punk than speed or NWOBHM. Everything about them is much more light-hearted, from the group chants to the songs about comic book characters. And it's awesome! The first listen left me unsure, but I went through the album at least three more times and was thoroughly enjoying it by the end. They don't seem to want to waste your time with solos or flashy play, they just want to get you CAUGHT IN A MOSH!

Favorite songs: "Among the Living" "I Am the Law"

13. theagentcoma Jun 1, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 1, 2016)
    theagentcoma

DAY 77

[​IMG]

Kreator - Pleasure to Kill (1986)

For some reason, I've been on a huge thrash kick lately, so I was only too happy to give one of the original masters of "Teutonic thrash" a go. I've listened to this album about four times and I can say this: I liked it more than the Testament album, but not as much as the Sodom album. I felt the same way about Exodus initially, but they grew on me.

What I'm trying to say that a lot of this stuff seems pretty interchangeable - it's all fast, loud, and aggressive. There are gems here and there but the range of dynamics is pretty homogeneous and limited. Stuff like Darkness Descends and Rust In Peace are a cut above the rest, including this album. The guitars seemed kind of muddy, there are hardly any memorable riffs, and while I enjoy the vocals stylistically speaking, I'm not too keen on the delivery. To me, the mark of a good thrash record is how quickly it gets you to bang your head. That didn't happen until halfway through the title track, which is four songs in. This album seems like a grower, which is what happened with Bonded by Blood and Persecution Mania.

Perhaps I'll need to check out other Kreator albums, because I want to experience the Teutonic bands as much as I've familiarized myself with the Big Four. You can never have too much thrash.

Favorite songs: "Pleasure to Kill" "Riot of Violence" "The Pestilence"

DAY 78

[​IMG]

Immortal - Pure Holocaust (1993)

Listening to all these albums has made a few things clear. Turns out that I don't really like grindcore, but I love thrash and stoner doom. Black metal is the one I'm struggling with. I used to think Children of Bodom = black metal, so clearly bands like Immortal are new to me. I did not at all enjoy Mayhem, so I was curious what being exposed to another legendary black metal band would be like.

Honestly, I made a mistake almost immediately. As soon as I heard the vocals, all I could picture was that kid Froggy from the Little Rascals. You know, the one with the mullet? That's what the vocalist sounds like. It's still better than Mayhem's vocals, however. The only thing I knew about this band is that they were the ones with the corpse paint and that Abbath recently took off to do his own thing. the vocals seem buried in the mix, but I think that's a mainstay of black metal. Lo-fi production is supposed to be a trend of the genre, right? Musically speaking, there isn't anything terribly amazing about this album, but I've learned that technical prowess seemingly counts for little in black metal. Rather, it's about creating some sort of atmosphere. As to that, this album definitely succeeds - it sounds like an icy Norwegian chill from the north.

Despite the vocals and incredibly repetitive drums, this is a quick and easy listen. It's not my thing, but it's a staple of the genre for sure.

Favorite song: "The Sun No Longer Rises"

14. theagentcoma

(I got a new computer, so let's continue this)

DAY 79

[​IMG]

Metallica - Master of Puppets (1986)

I mainly put off listening to this album because it was one of the 10 or so from the list I had actually listened to prior to starting this experiment. Everything that can be said about this album has been said - it's Metallica's best/it defines the entire genre of thrash/best metal album all time/etc. However, what IS cool is that earlier this year it was inducted into the National Recording Registry by the Library of Congress. There are only 450 albums in there, and this is the first and only metal album inducted. So yeah, it's a big deal.

But I'll never choose this over Ride the Lightning. Honestly, only about half of this album is interesting to me. The first two songs are obviously masterpieces, quite possibly the two best opening tracks on any metal album. But when "The Thing That Should Not Be" plods along, I feel like the tempo is completely killed. Sure, it's an interesting track to hear on a thrash album and the lyrics are cool, but it feels so out of place. "Disposable Heroes" is a solid song but it's a little too long and repetitive. I don't care for "Leper Messiah" at all. In fact, the album feels very top-heavy, with the instrumental "Orion" being the most interesting track in the second half. The album ends on a note that is nowhere near as epic as Ride the Lightning. I suppose it's just a tough album to follow.

Favorite songs: "Master of Puppets" "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" "Battery"

15. theagentcoma

DAY 80

[​IMG]

Voivod - Nothingface (1989)

Another album that feels ahead of its time. The opening notes don't really match the tone they set for the vocals, but the combination oddly works. There's plenty of proggy goodness to be had here, as the songs swirl all over the place with weird time shifts and lots of dissonant notes. The bass tone is freaking chunky too, which is my favorite part. I hear Cynic and Intronaut in here at times.

Sadly, the album feels very top-heavy. The Pink Floyd cover fits thematically but I think it's the worst song on here. "Into My Hypercube" is really the only track in the back half I enjoyed.

Favorite songs: "The Unknown Knows" "Nothingface"

DAY 81

[​IMG]

Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark (1986)

Ah yes, more black metal. The cold winds are rising. I've not really enjoyed what the genre has had to offer so far, but this album is certainly more appealing than any of the others on this list. I mean, it's the same lo-fi production and non-stop banging drums. The snare sounds pretty hollow and I swear I could hear clipping at times. At least the vocals are nowhere near as bad as Mayhem or Immortal...

This album is on the short side, which I appreciate as someone trying to explore the genre. In all honesty, I could see this album being a very slow burner for me..some of the songs put me in a sort of trance. If there's one thing black metal does well, it's setting a tone/mood/atmosphere. I'm at least encouraged to check out the rest of Bathory's discography.

Favorite songs: "Enter the Eternal Fire"

DAY 82

[​IMG]

Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From a Memory (1999)

Dream goddamn Theater. I always assumed they were this super corny prog band, but I definitely enjoyed Images and Words. This album is a monster - it's 77 freaking minutes long. Not only that, but it's a concept album. I'm usually into concept albums but I wasn't following the lyrics that much; rather, I was heavily absorbed by the music.

I suppose when it comes down to it, the reason I don't listen to Dream Theater regularly is because I don't care for the vocals and I definitely didn't care for the lyrics on this album. I forget that all the musicians in this band are masters of their respective craft, and I found myself completely in awe of the musicianship on this album. It was so engrossing that I can forgive the vocals. Unfortunately, the many ballads absolutely drag this album down - "Through My Words" "Through Her Eyes" and "The Spirit Carries On" being the worst culprits. I know they're thematically necessary to the narrative, but I didn't care for the story anyways, even after I read the synopsis. There are other weird parts, like the sound of someone having sex in my ear in "Home" or the awful sound effects of screaming and gunshots towards the end of the story. But the long passages of ridiculous synth solos and technical riffs make everything worth it.

Dream Theater, get rid of the vocals and cut out the ballads. Or maybe just the latter.

Favorite songs: "Home" "Fatal Tragedy" "Strange Deja Vu"

Your Milkshake likes this.
  16. theagentcoma

DAY 83

[​IMG]

Sleep - Sleep's Holy Mountain (1993)

Dopesmoker was my introduction to stoner doom/metal, so I felt like I knew what I was getting before starting this album. It's the same band but these two albums feel like night and day to me. Dopesmoker was one long monstrous march of distortion and thundering vocals whereas this album is ten times more jamm-y. The vocals here are different, possessing a little bit more melody (at times) while reverting to the roaring shouts frequently. It's much less exhausting than Dopesmoker, as the songs are actually broken up into....songs. I'd rate them the same, though my preference is for the former. This album just moves you more, while DS made me feel like I was lost in a haze.

Favorite songs: "Evily Gypsy" "Inside the Sun"

17. theagentcoma

DAY 84

[​IMG]

Venom - Black Metal (1982)

If I haven't been the biggest fan of black metal so far, I don't see how I'd enjoy an album that shares a name with the genre. Fortunately, this is much more of a thrash album despite its moniker. Unfortunately, this brand of thrash feels reminiscent of Celtic Frost's Morbid Tales, of which I was not a big fan of either.

I'd say the only thing that grabbed me about this album was how it doesn't seem to take itself seriously. At least, I don't think it's serious, but what do I know? For example, the beginning of "Buried Alive" starts with a speech that sounds like a Monty Python skit. "Teacher's Pet" is a "what the hell?" song, especially in the middle where they start chanting "get your tits out!" This album confuses me, and it confused my dog - who is always no more than 10 feet away whenever I do my listening duties.

These guys really like Satan, that's for sure. I just don't feel like it translates to interesting music.

Favorite songs: "Sacrifice"

DAY 85

[​IMG]

Atheist - Unquestionable Presence (1991)

DEATH JAZZ! Piece of Time was one of the first 15 albums I listened to on this list and it blew me away, especially considering something that genre-bending came out in 1989. Unquestionable Presence brings more of the same, but more and better. The time signatures are crazier. The drums are NUTS. The bass is everywhere, with some of the sickest lines I've heard off of any of these albums. The solos aren't over the top, they perfectly complement the absurd riffage. I don't really know how else to describe this album, but I'd call it a masterpiece, to keep it short. And it's only 32 minutes long!

Overall: 9/10

Favorite songs: "Mother Man" "Enthralled in Essence" "An Incarnation's Dream" "And the Psychic Saw"

18. theagentcoma

DAY 86

[​IMG]

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath (1970)

This album has been hailed as the beginning of heavy metal as we know it. I can imagine parents freaking out about their kids listening to this way back then. This is the oldest album on this list, and one of the most important. While researching it, I found out a bunch of interesting tidbits:

- the album was recorded in one day (roughly 12 hours)
    - Tony Iommi severed the tips of his fingers at age 17 in an accident and created false fingertips, tuning the guitar down to make it easier to play.
    - Geezer Butler didn't know how to play bass like a bassist as he'd only played guitar before, so he just played what the guitar played, making it sound heavier.

To me, the ominous opener "Black Sabbath" sets the tone for the entire genre of metal itself. Dark and brooding, then loud and aggressive. "The Wizard" (inspired by Tolkien's Gandalf) opens up with harmonica played by Ozzy himself. There's a random crazy bass solo right in the middle of the third track. The whole album just feels like one long jam session, culminating in the 14 minute closer, which is the jam session to end all sessions.

Not a bad start.

Favorite songs: "The Wizard" "Wasp/Behind the Wall"

DAY 87

[​IMG]

Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Inhumanity (2012)

As we near the end of this list, we'll start to get into the albums that I tried listening to one at one point or another without finishing, only to move on and decide that I'd do listen to them another day. I got about halfway through this album a few months ago before moving on. I was trying to sleep at the time, so I don't think it matched my mood. Don't listen to deathgrind while you're in bed.

Giving this album another try at my usual listening station shed a much better light on it. It's overly brutal from the first note, and the double bass almost never stops. I was thinking that the vocals were pretty monotone, but the vocalist goes through every shrieking high and guttural low over the course of the album, with help from a few guest vocalists (Cephalic Carnage, Devourment). This is the type of album that feels like I'm repeatedly taking a jackhammer to the chest. It's intense.

In fact, it gets kind of repetitive. There isn't always a clear point where one songs ends and another begins. There's a second of silence here and there, and then you're blasted in the face all over again. I wasn't a fan of grindcore, but mixing it with death makes it a little more appealing.

Favorite songs: "Gristle Licker" (ew) "Your Disposal"

Richter915 and inspectorkemp like this.
  19. theagentcoma

DAY 88

[​IMG]

Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)

I don't really have much to say about this one. This band's roots are in heavy metal and over time they shifted towards a more progressive sound. I haven't really warmed up to heavy metal as a genre, and this band just seems like an Iron Maiden clone. That's probably an ignorant thing to say, but it was just a boring album for the most part. The vocals used in this genre will never be my thing. I am interested to see what this band sounds like these days...

Favorite song: "Giant's Lore"

Richter915 likes this.
  20. theagentcoma

Insert typical my car broke down/college loan scams/my dog had surgery excuses here. I'm going to finish this within the week, dammit.

DAY 89

[​IMG]

Hammerfall - Legacy of Kings (1998)

With a name as awesome as HAMMERFALL, here I am expecting some sick thrash. Instead, it's more of the same heavy/power metal that's not as heavy as Iron Maiden or powerful as Symphony X. What's the point then? It doesn't help that I hold no love for either of those genres.

It's not a bad album, it's just a cookie cutter heavy metal album - fast songs punctuated by awful ballads. Songs like "Remember Yesterday" and "The Fallen One" just drag everything down. Even the cool songs sound like they were taken out of Charlie's The Nightman Cometh musical. Not terrible but not interesting either.

Favorite song: "Dreamland"

DAY 90

[​IMG]

Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse (1994)

I'm not gonna repeat how I feel about black metal all over again - I'll just say that I found this album more palatable than any of the others I've listened to from this list. It has the required eerie/icy atmosphere, perhaps more overtly so with the implementation of synths. Typical unintelligible vocals, but I like the delivery for sure. The requisite low quality production is ever present, but it's infinitely more tolerable than any of the other bands.

Side note A: I had no idea that this was the band Ihsahn was in. The more you know!
    Side note B: that album art is freaking awesome.

Favorite songs: Probably the one about wizards

21. theagentcoma

DAY 91

[​IMG]

Slayer - Hell Awaits (1985)

I'm down to the final 10 albums on this list and the 3rd Slayer album overall. South of Heaven was an awkward starting point but solid and Reign in Blood is obviously a masterpiece. This album falls right in the middle for me. The first track is the perfect album opener and set list opener, I'd imagine. The vocals are fast and visceral and I can't really understand what he's saying, but it's thrash so I don't care. It's most likely about Hell or Satan anyways. His high pitched wails are hilarious, and much headbanging occurred throughout the album. The album ends perfectly, looping back into the intro of the first song. God, I love it when bands do that.

After listening to Slayer's third album, I feel like I can say with some confidence that the guitar solos don't seem to fit in at all. They feel so random and half the time I'm not even sure the right scale is being used. I'm no music genius, but does anyone else get that feeling? Like it's just random shredding and not really adding much.

Favorite songs: "Hell Awaits" "At Dawn They Sleep"

22. theagentcoma

DAY 92

[​IMG]

Black Sabbath - Paranoid (1970)

Many call this album Black Sabbath's best and the best heavy metal album of all time. I definitely enjoyed it the most out of the Sabbath albums on this list, as songs like "War Pigs", "Iron Man", and "Fairies Wear Boots" were instantly recognizable from listening to the radio in high school, even though I had never heard a Black Sabbath album before.

The whole album feels like one long jam session, minus the conga filled slow third track, "Planet Caravan." Riffs abound and songs break into interludes that culminate in slow-burning breakdowns. It's a wonderfully solid album in every respect, lacking any sappy ballads. It's even got a trademark nuclear apocalypse song, and every song name could be a sweet band name, including "Rat Salad" which is literally just a 2.5 minute long drum solo.

The only knock? That horrible album art.

Favorite songs: "War Pigs" "Electric Funeral" "Paranoid"

23. inspectorkemp

a literal succubitch

Only comment on this one is my complete agreement about the art. That art is awful. I still haven't even quite figured out what's meant to be going on there.

24. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I think the art is endearing. I've only ever looked at it in retrospect since I wasn't around when it released. Perhaps the art was lame then idk. But now it looks neat in a vintage-y way what with the colors. The art did become iconic but maybe that's just because the album is iconic

25. theagentcoma

Well from my deep research (Wikipedia) the album was supposed to be named War Pigs (and Walpurgis before that) and I think the art was chosen before they decided on Paranoid as an album title.