Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

10-Year-Old Immigrant Is Detained After Agents Stop Her on Way to Surgery

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The New York Times:

A 10-year-old girl with cerebral palsy has been detained by federal immigration authorities in Texas after she passed through a Border Patrol checkpoint on her way to a hospital to undergo emergency gall bladder surgery.

The girl, Rosamaria Hernandez, who was brought over the border illegally to live in Laredo, Tex., when she was three months old, was being transferred from a medical center in Laredo to a hospital in Corpus Christi around 2 a.m. on Tuesday when Border Patrol agents stopped the ambulance she was riding in, her family said. The agents allowed her to continue to Driscoll Children’s Hospital, the family said, but followed the ambulance the rest of the way there, then waited outside her room until she was released from the hospital.

What the fuck are we doing as a country? This is absurd.

2. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Disgusting. I can't even imagine ever having a mindset where that would seem okay. Like if they didn't have it already they def received their ticket to hell now.

3. Justice Beaver

Crime Fighting Beaver

How have we, as a people, gotten so far removed from empathy and care for each other that you can read a headline that could basically be "Government agents capture sick child before she steals some health care" and people and lawmakers are okay with that?

Edit: I don't mean to imply that she's actually stealing anything, that was just my closest estimation to a sensationalist headline.

A child, nor anyone, can steal healthcare. Healthcare should be a basic human right. And if you want to punish a child for not being able to afford healthcare you need to maybe sit and think about that for a bit.

4. jco3

Regular

I read this I think on splinter.com or whatever it's called, and saw the updates to the story, one on the 25th saying basically "There's nothing going on here, no one was seen at the hospital from ICE," which got my hopes up, only to have them crushed after the next update on the 26th saying that she had been detained. This is just so damn stupid. What a damn waste.

5. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Abhorrent. Just absolutely disgusting.

6. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

this makes me want to cry and bash a whole in my wall at the same time. people can be so fucking disgusting.