Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

10 Favorite Movies • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by timcsheehan, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Davjs

Trusted

I feel like he throws his name on so many films as a "producer" which you are right, dilutes his filmography but if you look at just the ones he's directed it's super solid minus a few.

2. Do people like Lars Von Trier? I've seen Antichrist and Nymphomaniac vol. 1 only. They were interesting watches, but I didn't like them.

3. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I love what I've seen of Von Trier. I love Breaking the Waves and Antichrist and Melancholia. Need to see Dogville and Nymphomaniac.

4. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I haven't seen them but Dancer In the Dark and especially Dogville are supposed to be great.

5. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Antichrist is fun and pretty but stupid thematically. Melancholia is pretty but a bit hollow thematically.

6. Dancer in the Dark is incredible. Melancholia and Nymphomaniac are great. Antichrist is okay. I actually haven't seen Dogville.

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Never had the desire to see any Von Trier

8. I may have to watch a couple more of his films.

9. fronkensteen

Trusted

I love Lars Von Trier's despair trilogy: Melancholia, Antichrist, and Nymphomaniac.

I haven't seen his others though.

10. Morrissey

Trusted

Lars von Trier varies wildly in quality. Melancholia and Antichrist are funny in their silliness, but Dogville and Dancer in the Dark are great films. Manderlay is a disaster, as is The Idiots.

11. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

Dogville is my favorite

I really like The Element of Crime too

12. Davjs

Trusted

I dunno if I'd call what happens Antichrist "fun" or "silly" lol. When I think those terms I think stuff like Scott Pilgrim, Fast and Furious and Machette, not toddler suicide, demon foxes eating their own wounds saying "chaos reigns" or someone cutting off her own clitoris.

fronkensteen likes this.
  13. I think you can make the argument that the things happening in Antichrist are so dark and "provocative" to the point of devolving into silliness. It's not what I was thinking when I watched it, but I understand the sentiment.

Davjs likes this.
  14. fronkensteen

Trusted

Yeah, I wouldn't call Antichrist or Melancholia as silly at all.

15. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Antichrist doesn't have a point to make about anything. There's next to zero theme. The flagrant ideas and imagery in that movie deserve a meaningful script.

16. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

and yes its so over the top with the gross out and hyperviolence that it's fun. that sort of thing is common place now. we've got genre work that is created to suit that need. the Saw films. that Elfin Lied anime are a couple quick examples

Davjs likes this.
  17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

my top ten directors, no particular order

John Hughes
    Coen Brothers
    Wes Anderson
    Quentin Tarantino
    Noah Baumbach
    Martin Scorsese
    Steven Spielberg
    Paul Thomas Anderson
    Rian Johnson
    Robert Zemeckis

Dean likes this.
  18. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

I once saw somebody say that McG was in their top 5 directors.

angrycandy likes this.
  19. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Who's McG?

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  20. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Directed Charlies Angels, Charlies Angels:Full Throttle, Terminator Salvation.

21. TedSchmosby

Trusted

The Babysitter sounds cool

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Charlie's Angels is probably in my top 25 movies and even I don't get that

Dean and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  23. Morrissey

Trusted

There are few things you can call a fox eating itself and saying "chaos reigns" other than silly. It is one of the funniest things in any recent movie.

SpyKi likes this.
  24. Davjs

Trusted

Aw man, how could anyone forget John Hughes. His discography is so good.

I'd call it jarring, creepy, eerie, metal and badass. That's huge praise for a scene though, putting it over actual comedies...

25. Morrissey

Trusted

I couldn't stop laughing. The testicle smashing scene as well.