Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

10 Favorite Movies • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by timcsheehan, Sep 13, 2016.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

now I feel like that came across as me wanting attention haha, just always feel pressure with these kinda things to have a cool answer

2. Davjs

Trusted

I mean, all of these movies are great. This isn't the 10 best movies, just favorites! It's not like you had Batman and Robin on here lol. Few of the ones on my list I'd say are the best, but they are good movies that I favor for one reason or another.

3. Davjs

Trusted

4. Davjs

Trusted

What the hell is cooler than Ferris Bueller's Day Off?

5. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

lawrence of arabia
    12 angry men
    north by northwest
    the third man
    the godfather
    moonrise kingdom
    inception
    toy story 3
    batman begins
    the empire strikes back.

i think.

Nathan likes this.
  6. Morrissey

Trusted

Pleasantville is too self-righteous and obsessed with showing how enlightened the modern world is. Too many filmmakers use the 1950's to beat up on restrictive social norms, perhaps because it is easier than dealing with modern divisive social issues. Almost Famous is a disaster and a wholly unpleasant experience.

7. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Adding a few more:
    Do The Right Thing
    The Fall
    High Fidelity

8. Super late to this thread, but

1. Inception
    2. (500) Days of Summer
    3. The Thing (1982)
    4. LOTR Trilogy
    5. Before Trilogy
    6. Zodiac
    7. Princess Mononoke
    8. Mad Max: Fury Road
    9. Donnie Darko
    10. Moonrise Kingdom

If I'm being honest, Interstellar is probably in there, but I didn't wanna use the same director more than once for some arbitrary reason ha. 2001 and The Shining are also up for debate to be in there. Other honorable mentions: The Dark Knight, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Black Swan, Wet Hot American Summer, The Iron Giant, Her, The Social Network, Paranorman, and the Cornetto Trilogy.

Full disclosure, I haven't seen the Godfather films or most of Malick's films. Haven't seen a lot of "classics" and "prestige" films. My bad.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  9. TedSchmosby

Trusted

its interesting to me how many people agree upon a certain handful of great movies. Like, if you ask 10 people their 10 favourite bands, you're likely to not hear much repetition, right? But 10 people listing their 10 favourite movies is likely to result in a much less varied list I think. Once you get into top 20 or 30, I'm sure that's when the more personal, less known films come out, but I think it says a lot about the communal experience that the top tier seems to be pretty well defined

10. dlemert

Trusted

1. Jurassic Park
    2. There Will Be Blood
    3. The Social Network
    4. The Matrix
    5. The Shining
    6. Her
    7. The Fountain
    8. Memento
    9. Lawrence of Arabia
    10. Looper

#1 is indisputable, #2-4 could all be #2 depending on the day, and the rest are in no particular order.

11. PTA's filmography is another one I haven't seen all of but need to. I've only seen There Will Be Blood and Inherent Vice. Need to re-watch The Fountain sometime.

12. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I've always thought music was much more subjective when it comes to people's taste, probably because the variety is so much more varied. Think of how many records or songs released in a given year compared to the amount of movies (whether studio or independently). Because movies have a smaller output, you're going to have more interlap when it comes to fans.

13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I feel like I've seen more classics/auteurs than most people but compared to people who are true film scholars I always feel like I've seen none

14. dlemert

Trusted

Plus with movies I think most people are investing a little bit more (time, money, attention) than they would with an album, so it's more important to be decisive and pick something critics and/or audiences have already approved of. It's also much easier for the average person to track down an obscure album or band online than it is to see a limited-release indie movie.

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  15. Ya, I'm the "movie guy" in my group of friends, but compared to actual cinephiles and some people on here, I'm small-time.

16. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I'm the same and my dad keeps telling me to try out for games shows and the like because of my vast film knowledge (yet most of my appreciation is based on movies made after 1970)

suicidesaints likes this.
  17. Most of my knowledge starts in the 80s and increases significantly with each subsequent decade. My goal last year was to watch as many movies as possible. This year, I'm trying to watch older stuff.

18. zsoty27

"I am the patron saint of lost causes"

I may be late to the party but here is my personal list:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    The Prestige
    V for Vendetta
    The New Guy
    Before Trilogy
    The Dark Knight
    Jurrasic Park
    FAQ About Time Travel
    Intouchables
    Wall-e

19. Davjs

Trusted

If we skip ahead a few years, my list will probably be The Patriot, T-2 and Kung Fu Panda 1-8.

20. Morrissey

Trusted

What makes you say that about music? You almost always see things like The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, and so on.

21. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

1. Die Hard
    2. Goldfinger
    3. Goodfellas
    4. Mad Max: Fury Road
    5. Don't Look Now
    6. The Driver
    7. Duel
    8. The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three (1974)
    9. To Live and Die In L.A.
    10. For A Few Dollars More

Mostly random since actually nailing down a top ten films is harder than doing any other top ten, I could try and do a top 50 and still struggle to decide.

22. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I feel like people admit those are the "greats" in terms of respect, but I think asking someone to list their 10 favourite bands will likely get something different out of them. I'm sure there are plenty that have those guys in their top 10, but I'd say the possible answers aren't as easy to pin down as movies

Davjs likes this.
  23. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I totally get what you're saying. As much as I love The Beatles, for example, they wouldn't be in my personal top ten favorite musical artists of all time. But you're likely to see The Godfather, Goodfellas, Citizen Kane, etc. on a lot of people's top ten films of all time.

24. If you asked me ten years ago, I would've said:

Almost Famous
    Dead Poets Society
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Good Will Hunting
    Jerry Maguire
    Lost in Translation
    Pleasantville
    The Princess Bride
    Say Anything
    The Truman Show

Don't get me wrong, I still love each and every one of these movies, I just want to use this as an excuse to challenge myself and make a more updated list:

Beginners
    Edge of Seventeen
    Her
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower
    Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
    The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
    The Social Network
    Up in the Air
    Where the Wild Things Are

I guess the bigger challenge would've been making a top 10 out of both lists.

I find it curious how some of my favorite directors didn't make it onto either of them.

25. Morrissey

Trusted

Maybe, but you see a lot of variation here. It also is not a 1-to-1 comparison; movies are equivalent to songs and directors are equivalent to bands/singers.